Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, how many of you will be test driving a G8, for the pure fact that it's the same chassis (and possible engines) as the Camaro.

I know I will. :)

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Im game to test drive. So much in common between the two. My only fear is that I may be drawn to the G8.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
I'm afraid it would give me a false sense of the Camaro, since the Camaro will be lighter, more nimble, and have a greater HP/weight ratio (I'm sure the gearing will be different too). Also, the Camaro will probably ride like a sports car, whereas the G8 is going to have a softer Sedan like ride.

Me, I'm going to test drive a G8 as a G8, despite the fact that it's a Zeta car.

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
My wife and I will be looking to test drive a G8. It is going to be for the wife, but I think she will wait for the GXP version.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
... G8 does 1/4 in 14s.... if camaro is slightly lighter and have more then 360hp... i cannot see it being all that great... i was hoping camaro will pull a nice 13.5 and a sweet 5.0 s or less to 60!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sounds like a good idea to get a feel for the suspension, however an automatic just won't feel the same as the manual transmission...

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm waiting for the real deal. Don't want to ruin the experience and newness of that first time getting behind the wheel of that Camaro!

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think they are going to be different enough, but close enough to get a feel as to interior quality, and I want to feel the engine/tranny combo and just see how well they made it. Nothing is going to diminish the feeling I get the first time I get in MY Camaro. Wow, I like the sounds of that.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
What, 360 hp on regular octane fuel isn't enough for her? :p
Well, she has been looking at Acura TLs, Audi, and a couple others. We are looking to buy a bigger house in the near future. I asked her to wait and she could get the "top of the line" G8 model. She was ok with that.

I guess we could get just the GT. I know I won't be able to leave it alone. Better exhaust, and a tune right off the bat. :rotflmao:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Excellent, a live rear axle doesn't appear to be in the Camaro's future. Taken from a Pontiac G8 information website:

"A 114.8-inch (2915 mm) wheelbase, wide front ( 62.7 inches / 1592 mm) and rear ( 63.3 inches / 1608 mm) tracks, and a fully adjustable, four-wheel independent suspension system combine to give the G8 a confident, sharp driving experience.

The four-wheel independent suspension system employs a MacPherson strut design in the front and a four-link coil-over-shock design in the rear. Tuning is specific between the base and GT models, but both models use a direct-acting front stabilizer bar, decoupled rear stabilizer bar and lateral ball joints on the rear suspension. This system delivers increased lateral stiffness for enhanced handling.

The front suspension features fully adjustable caster, camber and toe; the rear suspension has fully adjustable camber and toe, which enables more precise, tailored suspension tuning. "

I believe the Mustang has a live rear axle and the handling suffers drastically from that design. According to Top Gear, they claimed that Ford would have added an additional $5k to the MSRP if it was to be independant rear.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I believe the Mustang has a live rear axle and the handling suffers drastically from that design. According to Top Gear, they claimed that Ford would have added an additional $5k to the MSRP if it was to be independant rear.
Sharing this new chassis (zeta) amongst many different vehicles really helps defer the costs.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Well, she has been looking at Acura TLs, Audi, and a couple others. We are looking to buy a bigger house in the near future. I asked her to wait and she could get the "top of the line" G8 model. She was ok with that.

I guess we could get just the GT. I know I won't be able to leave it alone. Better exhaust, and a tune right off the bat. :rotflmao:
If the Silverado 6.0L is anything to go by (The 1500's Vortec Max is a L76 but the one in the 2500 isn't)..you can get 17.54 more HP from a K&N air filter. So that's almost 380 horsepower right there. :p

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If the Silverado 6.0L is anything to go by (The 1500's Vortec Max is a L76 but the one in the 2500 isn't)..you can get 17.54 more HP from a K&N air filter. So that's almost 380 horsepower right there. :p
I've always wondered this: Why don't manufacturers make filters like K&N, and aftermarket stuff, that increases HP and gas mileage and such? Is it their way of supporting the aftermarket community?

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts