Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I owned a 08 dodge charger 3.5L v6 (250hp) it got wrecked and wasn't my fault that's why I got granted an amount for another vehicle so I was off by 5k from the amount i was granted for a challenger so i threw in 5k extra and got a 2011 dodge challenger 3.6 v6 (305hp) it wasn't much of a upgrade but the car looks nice and since all the v6s were being pumped up in recent years i got curious and test drove a 2012 Camaro v6 and a 2012 mustang v6

all opinions are based on stock ! no tune nothing...and i am a good driver

- charger-chally-300 3.5 v6 felt like it pulled hard and you were going fast but in reality the timing was a joke to how fast you are actually going very normal car almost anyone can compete with you on the streets

- charger-chally-300 3.6 v6 is a lot smoother doesn't seem like it pulls as hard as the 3.5 but in numbers its a bit faster also seems slower because the lack of sound (weird opinion but after owning a 3.5 you would understand)

- mustang 3.7 v6 ..first thing i notice is how cheap ford is lol anyway...it was pretty fast, faster than lots of previous (stock) mustang v8s but by todays standards its a slightly above average car for speed

- Camaro 3.6 v6 was my favourite it has lots of power for a v6 but just when your getting pumped like any v6 muscle car you hit the dead zone..no more power, the Camaro seems the fastest but being unsure of numbers i would say speed wise comparable to the mustang would be a excellent match, these 2 would leave both dodge v6's in the dust

i am on the market for a used 10-13 2ss and i shouldn't have any trouble selling my challenger for less than 15k....anyways for looks, day to day driving and a little above average speed and the money situation v6's are great but i will never ever own a v6 muscle car again for many reasons, 1.putting so many mods into a v6 and having regret 2.speed...not even for the track but just to save the embarrassment at a red light to a ricer 3.sound ftw...4.your friends say your car is nice and you do too but deep down its hard to respect it as much being a v6 i personally in my own opinion cannot take the car seriously unless is a v6 Nissan gtr ect..lol i have since test drove the new v8s and the 6.2 Camaro is the best bang for the buck

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
so I owned a 08 dodge charger 3.5L v6 (250hp) it got wrecked and wasn't my fault that's why I got granted an amount for another vehicle so I was off by 5k from the amount i was granted for a challenger so i threw in 5k extra and got a 2011 dodge challenger 3.6 v6 (305hp) it wasn't much of a upgrade but the car looks nice and since all the v6s were being pumped up in recent years i got curious and test drove a 2012 Camaro v6 and a 2012 mustang v6

all opinions are based on stock ! no tune nothing...and i am a good driver

- charger-chally-300 3.5 v6 felt like it pulled hard and you were going fast but in reality the timing was a joke to how fast you are actually going very normal car almost anyone can compete with you on the streets

- charger-chally-300 3.6 v6 is a lot smoother doesn't seem like it pulls as hard as the 3.5 but in numbers its a bit faster also seems slower because the lack of sound (weird opinion but after owning a 3.5 you would understand)

- mustang 3.7 v6 ..first thing i notice is how cheap ford is lol anyway...it was pretty fast, faster than lots of previous (stock) mustang v8s but by todays standards its a slightly above average car for speed

- Camaro 3.6 v6 was my favourite it has lots of power for a v6 but just when your getting pumped like any v6 muscle car you hit the dead zone..no more power, the Camaro seems the fastest but being unsure of numbers i would say speed wise comparable to the mustang would be a excellent match, these 2 would leave both dodge v6's in the dust

i am on the market for a used 10-13 2ss and i shouldn't have any trouble selling my challenger for less than 15k....anyways for looks, day to day driving and a little above average speed and the money situation v6's are great but i will never ever own a v6 muscle car again for many reasons, 1.putting so many mods into a v6 and having regret 2.speed...not even for the track but just to save the embarrassment at a red light to a ricer 3.sound ftw...4.your friends say your car is nice and you do too but deep down its hard to respect it as much being a v6 i personally in my own opinion cannot take the car seriously unless is a v6 Nissan gtr ect..lol i have since test drove the new v8s and the 6.2 Camaro is the best bang for the buck
Carleton77, the V6 Mustang will outperform the V6 Camaro and V6 Charger/Challenger by a good margin given equal driving skills. With bolt-ons, I'd say you could probably see low to mid 13s.

As far as the V6 to V8 comparisons. Well you can't really compare the two because the V6 is not made to compete against the V8s. And V6s have come a long way since the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s. They used to be stripped down versions of the V8s. But not these days. The V6s are built very well and they are impressive in terms of options, looks, fuel efficiency, price, performance, and insurance costs. If you're talking about raw performance, then no, the V6 cannot hang with the V8. But it isn't really fair to say you can't respect the car or take it seriously. Especially when there are other people who have vehicle preferences that differ from your own. The V6 appeals to a different market than the V8 does. And that market doesn't include someone who wants a 13.0 second car. Some people could care less about how fast the car is. They may just want it for the way it looks or just because they like it. If you're looking for all out performance, then you should start looking at the SS. Hopefully you'll find what you want in your price range. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We will be waiting for pictures of your SS!!!!
its winter in less than 2 1/2 months here in Canada and I have been price watching, the winter is the best time to buy a RWD v8 2 door muscle car no one wants it LOL plus in the spring we are adding a garage to the house so its going to be a while but I will be pretty busy with work and my ps4/xbox1 haha going to be a good winter and a amazing spring

its happening for sure bro my cars worth no less than 15k even to a car dealer and the ss's im looking at are in the 23-25k price range, I am going to need to find a car for the dog/winter the winter after the Camaro I want the bottom of my car sparkling like a came from California

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and chapel I agree 100% but regardless how much current v6 dominates the older v8s I think it comes down to the novelty of a muscle car having a v8, I am on my second v6 and me and friends do not take any v6 muscle car seriously it cant go to car to shows it will never be a classic or hold value

I am on my second v6 tried all the others....not only do I have v8 envy more than ever I did before.. got a nice 2011 challenger in my driveway with 305hp that I have no respect for its even getting winter driven again this year lol I think my attitude also comes from my ninja days getting a 250cc-636cc-1000cc....v6 to me is like a starter car and my 3.5l charger was my first car

·
Bully Proof
7,086 Posts
it cant go to car to shows it will never be a classic or hold value
Happily...neither of those statements are accurate. My V6 won a Best In Show as the Judges Favorite at her very first show...beating all the V8s present...Camaros and vintage classics alike. And the purchase price of my Special Edition V6 back in 2010 was $28,200 but the private party resale value on it over 3 years later is $25,900 according to Kelly Blue Book...so I've got no complaints.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Yea carleton, envy is right. I have never seen a car show that stipulates the engine size. They may stipulate that it has to be a numbers matching car or the original engine or something like that...but I've never seen a car lose because it was a V6. And a classic as well, a classic doesn't have to be a V8. A classic doesn't even have to be a muscle car. Any car will hold it's value well if it is well maintained.

As far as performance, you clearly want and need a V8. So again, make sure your budget can afford you one. If not, then a 2011 and up V6 Mustang will be your best bet. The Dodge Challenger/Charger is a heavy car. Last I checked the Challenger weighed about 4400 lbs I think. And that V6 cannot help move that much weight around. Even the R/T is slow (mid to high 13s) compared to the Camaro SS (low to flat 13) and Mustang GT (low 13 to high 12). And considering the engine size and output of the SRT-8, even it is heavy enough that it is slow for it's output. I'd guess your Dodge V6 is about a mid to high 14. The Camaro is around 3800 lbs. Which makes the V6 about a low 14 second car. The clear winner is the Mustang V6 which is a high 13. Headers, exhaust, intake, and a good tune and I'd put money on the Mustang V6 over a stock R/T Challenger. And you'd probably spend around $1500-$2000 for all that. And that is pretty fast. Not to mention that it will be more fun to drive because of how light it is. I drove a 2010 Mustang GT and that car felt soo light and fast while cornering as opposed to the heft of the Camaro SS. Even the Coyote felt significantly lighter. So it isn't all about the size of an engine. Those 370Zs are low 13 second cars. And they are N/A V6 engines. You could even go forced induction on a V6 Camaro. That's get you into the 12s definitely. But for raw out of the box performance, nothing really compares to a V8...except a V10!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
V6 Camaros have breathing problems in stock form. Open up the breathing and they are pretty quick. Got mine from low 14s stock to high 13s easy. Still don't run headers.

·
Registered
110 Posts
and chapel I agree 100% but regardless how much current v6 dominates the older v8s I think it comes down to the novelty of a muscle car having a v8, I am on my second v6 and me and friends do not take any v6 muscle car seriously it cant go to car to shows it will never be a classic or hold value

I am on my second v6 tried all the others....not only do I have v8 envy more than ever I did before.. got a nice 2011 challenger in my driveway with 305hp that I have no respect for its even getting winter driven again this year lol I think my attitude also comes from my ninja days getting a 250cc-636cc-1000cc....v6 to me is like a starter car and my 3.5l charger was my first car
Any car running in the 13s you have to take a little seriously especially if its a V6 weighing 3750lbs. If my car were 400lbs lighter I can only imagine:5go: how fast it would go.:5go:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yea carleton, envy is right. I have never seen a car show that stipulates the engine size. They may stipulate that it has to be a numbers matching car or the original engine or something like that...but I've never seen a car lose because it was a V6. And a classic as well, a classic doesn't have to be a V8. A classic doesn't even have to be a muscle car. Any car will hold it's value well if it is well maintained.

As far as performance, you clearly want and need a V8. So again, make sure your budget can afford you one. If not, then a 2011 and up V6 Mustang will be your best bet. The Dodge Challenger/Charger is a heavy car. Last I checked the Challenger weighed about 4400 lbs I think. And that V6 cannot help move that much weight around. Even the R/T is slow (mid to high 13s) compared to the Camaro SS (low to flat 13) and Mustang GT (low 13 to high 12). And considering the engine size and output of the SRT-8, even it is heavy enough that it is slow for it's output. I'd guess your Dodge V6 is about a mid to high 14. The Camaro is around 3800 lbs. Which makes the V6 about a low 14 second car. The clear winner is the Mustang V6 which is a high 13. Headers, exhaust, intake, and a good tune and I'd put money on the Mustang V6 over a stock R/T Challenger. And you'd probably spend around $1500-$2000 for all that. And that is pretty fast. Not to mention that it will be more fun to drive because of how light it is. I drove a 2010 Mustang GT and that car felt soo light and fast while cornering as opposed to the heft of the Camaro SS. Even the Coyote felt significantly lighter. So it isn't all about the size of an engine. Those 370Zs are low 13 second cars. And they are N/A V6 engines. You could even go forced induction on a V6 Camaro. That's get you into the 12s definitely. But for raw out of the box performance, nothing really compares to a V8...except a V10!!
I drove both Mustangs and both Camaros before buying my car. The mustangs are faster in all categories, but I liked the feel of the manual v6 camaro better. And also liked the V8 Mustang better than the V8 Camaro...dont why it just fit me better and felt quicker than the SS. Didnt get the Mustang because I knew a different model would be out soon and decided to wait, so ended up with the v6 Camaro.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
V6 Camaros have breathing problems in stock form. Open up the breathing and they are pretty quick. Got mine from low 14s stock to high 13s easy. Still don't run headers.
thats pretty **** good!!, i drove one and i was suprised how fast they were, those littles v6s scream lol

·
Registered
275 Posts
does anyone who drives a v8 car really drive it to it's potential anyway? 0-70 the v6 & v8 aren't a whole lot different, hell my v6 will do over 70 in 2nd gear... the v8 advantage is really getting you from 70 to 150 faster, and I have never seen 1 SS driving that fast anyway. in a really big heavy car like a v8 can make a big difference, but in a smaller car I don't think it does.

Although their is a big difference in sound & feel with the lower revs and rumble of the v8.

The v6 is just a more practical car, lower sticker price, can drive okay in snow, better mileage & cheaper insurance, I never really considered a V8, there was no way I could afford it at the time anyway.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
does anyone who drives a v8 car really drive it to it's potential anyway? 0-70 the v6 & v8 aren't a whole lot different, hell my v6 will do over 70 in 2nd gear... the v8 advantage is really getting you from 70 to 150 faster, and I have never seen 1 SS driving that fast anyway. in a really big heavy car like a v8 can make a big difference, but in a smaller car I don't think it does.

Although their is a big difference in sound & feel with the lower revs and rumble of the v8.

The v6 is just a more practical car, lower sticker price, can drive okay in snow, better mileage & cheaper insurance, I never really considered a V8, there was no way I could afford it at the time anyway.
There is a world of a difference in acceleration between the 8 and the 6. Don't fool yourself, you're talking about 2 vehicles that weigh the same yet one has 100 more hp and 100 more tq to the wheels. That's significant, like adding a 100 shot to a car. The SS is over a second and almost 1 and a half seconds faster in the 1/4 mile than the V6. And you can feel that difference in every RPM and every gear. The V6 is fast, but you have to get those RPMs up there to feel it. The SS just hauls out at every RPM. The V6 is a practical car, but it is not true that it is a more "practical" car. Besides, who decides what is practical anyway. I drive my SS everyday. I've driven it in rain and snow. My insurance isn't bad at all and I also have my Mustang GT on my insurance. Lower price only matters to those who for whatever reason can't afford a more expensive car. Gas mileage is a huge difference I'll give you that. But again, there is a night and day difference in the performance.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Carleton77, the V6 Mustang will outperform the V6 Camaro and V6 Charger/Challenger by a good margin given equal driving skills. With bolt-ons, I'd say you could probably see low to mid 13s.

As far as the V6 to V8 comparisons. Well you can't really compare the two because the V6 is not made to compete against the V8s. And V6s have come a long way since the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s. They used to be stripped down versions of the V8s. But not these days. The V6s are built very well and they are impressive in terms of options, looks, fuel efficiency, price, performance, and insurance costs. If you're talking about raw performance, then no, the V6 cannot hang with the V8. But it isn't really fair to say you can't respect the car or take it seriously. Especially when there are other people who have vehicle preferences that differ from your own. The V6 appeals to a different market than the V8 does. And that market doesn't include someone who wants a 13.0 second car. Some people could care less about how fast the car is. They may just want it for the way it looks or just because they like it. If you're looking for all out performance, then you should start looking at the SS. Hopefully you'll find what you want in your price range. Good luck!
The V6 Mustang outperforms the Camaro strictly because of the weight advantage. If the cars were the same weight its a driver race.

·
Registered
110 Posts
There is a world of a difference in acceleration between the 8 and the 6. Don't fool yourself, you're talking about 2 vehicles that weigh the same yet one has 100 more hp and 100 more tq to the wheels. That's significant, like adding a 100 shot to a car. The SS is over a second and almost 1 and a half seconds faster in the 1/4 mile than the V6. And you can feel that difference in every RPM and every gear. The V6 is fast, but you have to get those RPMs up there to feel it. The SS just hauls out at every RPM. The V6 is a practical car, but it is not true that it is a more "practical" car. Besides, who decides what is practical anyway. I drive my SS everyday. I've driven it in rain and snow. My insurance isn't bad at all and I also have my Mustang GT on my insurance. Lower price only matters to those who for whatever reason can't afford a more expensive car. Gas mileage is a huge difference I'll give you that. But again, there is a night and day difference in the performance.
Got get the RPMs to just above idle to about 2000rpm to get it going. I can step into mine from a 10mph roll on and spin my tires.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts