Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Until reading another post about the nav unit not being available until Dec. 09, I had not really looked at the factory stereo. I like my music and I am an audio geek. This is the ugliest factory head unit I have ever seen! While it may look "cool and futuristic" to some, to me it seems just thrown together. I guess I will have to wait and see it in person, but I also know that replacing it with an aftermarket unit will be challenging. Is anyone else disappointed in this, or am I on an island here?

·
Registered
637 Posts
I realy don't care what the stereo is so much and will never look at aftermarket so its good as is for me.:cool:

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
Quite honestly I felt the same way at first... I was very unsure of the design when I first saw pictures of it.

But it grew on me.

Then when I sat in the car and saw it in person, and used the controls, it's actually pretty cool. :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
I like the locations of all the buttons, at least all the buttons I can distinguish. I haven't seen it in person, but I agree it isn't the best I've ever seen. I think some car companies go too far trying to make the stereos look unique, rather than easy to use (example: Mini Cooper's stock setup).

·
Registered
620 Posts
with the available soundsystem, and all the stuff factory units can do now.. personally i dont think i'll feel the need to change to an aftermarket unit..

the only reason i've done it in the past is to get a MP3 CD capable radio.. which i hope this will be from the factory
i agree that in this day and age the factory is always trying to give us more, but if it is not able to play or hook up to an mp3 then i needs to be changed

·
Registered
313 Posts
You cant swap out the radio even if it was shaped like a DIN unit because (just like most cars designed in this century) the radio is integrated with the car and is used to display Onstar info, and control features like parking sensors and suspension/driving settings...

And the radio actually works great - you can get premium audio upgrade and it lets you plug an ipod into it or a USB stick with MP3s via the plugs in the console

...and the illumination and design matches the rest of the interior

...and the design is really well laid out and simple to use

·
Registered
42 Posts
You cant swap out the radio even if it was shaped like a DIN unit because (just like most cars designed in this century) the radio is integrated with the car and is used to display Onstar info, and control features like parking sensors and suspension/driving settings...
And that is a problem, how?

The vehicle before last that I owned had a similar, non-DIN setup with an LCD readout at the top for A/C, outside temp, time, various functions of the stock stereo and more. It took Metra little over a year, they had more popular cars like the new Accord and Civic to work on at first, but they came out with an entire replacement plate that created a DIN slot and electronic modules to work with the factory LCD readout and even let you put your own custom messages on the LCD if you desired.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I can see how a radio this unique could be polarizing. I for one love it. I've always hated aftermarket radios. Even the high-end expensive ones look like a wart on the dash. They never blend in well enough. Its even worse in modern cars where you are literately putting a square peg in a round hole.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Thread revival...

I am also not a fan of the stereo setup, but I am not an audio guy. I won't ever upgrade, so I'll just get used to the aesthetics. The only stereo I care about is what comes out of the tail pipes :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
To me, personal preference is the key to this issue. If you like it fine. If you don't like it, replace it.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
The first post. SK says that the Nav unit is due in December 09? This is the first I've heard of this. Is that accurate?

The reason it's a big deal is that the lack of a screen and navigation has been a sticking point for me. I even checked out a Challenger R/T a few weeks ago because it had the screen...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts