Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been the topic of much discussion at CamaroZ28. Some of us (me included) think to be successful the Camaro needs to have a smaller, more modest V8 in the lineup.

The success of the V8 rally sports from 1989-1992 bears this out. Many buyers want a V8 feel and sound but don't want 400+hp. Many women buyers were actually turned away from the rip snorting 4th gens, and I think a base Camaro with an optional 325hp 5.3L with displacement on demand is just the ticket.

It could even outprice the Mustang GT.

Maybe I can get Jason E over here to rant with me on this.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I've heard a few things. You'll be impressed.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Chris 96 WS6 said:
I would take a 330hp V8 over a 330 V6 any day of the week, assuming price was similar.
:werd: like a mofo

·
Registered
10 Posts
My experience has been that some women pick the big engine, but tame their everday driveability issues with an automatic tranny instead of a manual (not my opinion but derived from the comments of a 42 year old mother of 3 that has owned an automatic 2000 Z28 since new). In addition to this person there are at least two other late model WS6 women where I work. This said I do agree that if at all possible (within manufacturing and/or sourcing constraints), a "base" version of the performance engine should be offered. It should be assessed a more reasonable insurance premium for those that are discouraged by a higher "high performance" rating and provide a platform for future modification if desired.

Chris 96 WS6 said:
This has been the topic of much discussion at CamaroZ28. Some of us (me included) think to be successful the Camaro needs to have a smaller, more modest V8 in the lineup.

The success of the V8 rally sports from 1989-1992 bears this out. Many buyers want a V8 feel and sound but don't want 400+hp. Many women buyers were actually turned away from the rip snorting 4th gens, and I think a base Camaro with an optional 325hp 5.3L with displacement on demand is just the ticket.

It could even outprice the Mustang GT.

Maybe I can get Jason E over here to rant with me on this.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Honestly I don't see it happening especially if they are wanting to keep production costs down.

·
Registered
67 Posts
with GMs current engine lineup, i can see a v6 base, a low 300hp v8, and a 400+v8. there wasn't another mid level v8 out there during 4th gen production, and the top engine was midlevel nowadays. i do hope they make a top v8 model with v6 interior and maybe some special suspension ala 1LE/1SC

1 - 17 of 17 Posts