Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been the topic of much discussion at CamaroZ28. Some of us (me included) think to be successful the Camaro needs to have a smaller, more modest V8 in the lineup.

The success of the V8 rally sports from 1989-1992 bears this out. Many buyers want a V8 feel and sound but don't want 400+hp. Many women buyers were actually turned away from the rip snorting 4th gens, and I think a base Camaro with an optional 325hp 5.3L with displacement on demand is just the ticket.

It could even outprice the Mustang GT.

Maybe I can get Jason E over here to rant with me on this.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I've heard a few things. You'll be impressed.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Chris 96 WS6 said:
I would take a 330hp V8 over a 330 V6 any day of the week, assuming price was similar.
:werd: like a mofo

·
Registered
104 Posts
Chris 96 WS6 said:
I would take a 330hp V8 over a 330 V6 any day of the week, assuming price was similar.
You would, but what about everyone else?

I'd say have 2 V6 versions as well as 2 V8 versions. or at least have AFM on one of the V8's if not both.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My experience has been that some women pick the big engine, but tame their everday driveability issues with an automatic tranny instead of a manual (not my opinion but derived from the comments of a 42 year old mother of 3 that has owned an automatic 2000 Z28 since new). In addition to this person there are at least two other late model WS6 women where I work. This said I do agree that if at all possible (within manufacturing and/or sourcing constraints), a "base" version of the performance engine should be offered. It should be assessed a more reasonable insurance premium for those that are discouraged by a higher "high performance" rating and provide a platform for future modification if desired.

Chris 96 WS6 said:
This has been the topic of much discussion at CamaroZ28. Some of us (me included) think to be successful the Camaro needs to have a smaller, more modest V8 in the lineup.

The success of the V8 rally sports from 1989-1992 bears this out. Many buyers want a V8 feel and sound but don't want 400+hp. Many women buyers were actually turned away from the rip snorting 4th gens, and I think a base Camaro with an optional 325hp 5.3L with displacement on demand is just the ticket.

It could even outprice the Mustang GT.

Maybe I can get Jason E over here to rant with me on this.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Honestly I don't see it happening especially if they are wanting to keep production costs down.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why would it be any more expensive....if the car can hold an LS2 or LS3 the only differences would be a set of smaller injectors and a PCM tune.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The appeal a "custom" car (aka lots of assecory choices) has is worth it in terms of mony because you will likely sell more if someone can get more of what they want on your specific car.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
I really do hope there is a base V8 version, with no options, to keep cost/weight down. That would be the one I'd get.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mid said:
I really do hope there is a base V8 version, with no options, to keep cost/weight down. That would be the one I'd get.
There won't be a "stripper" model. They just don't sell. People want optioned cars.

·
Registered
67 Posts
with GMs current engine lineup, i can see a v6 base, a low 300hp v8, and a 400+v8. there wasn't another mid level v8 out there during 4th gen production, and the top engine was midlevel nowadays. i do hope they make a top v8 model with v6 interior and maybe some special suspension ala 1LE/1SC

1 - 17 of 17 Posts