Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, some might say I am an odd bird......some might say I am nuts.....some might say I am certifiably insane.......and then there's you guys that will think this is awesome.................

Ok.....what I am building is a Mini T Bucket roadster.....hehehe.....it will be based off this sort of style.......

But will be a front engine go cart......and not just any engine either.......its gonna be a 75cc dirtbike engine with a 5 speed trans........

So, here's the donor dirtbike....engine runs great, but the rims and tires are shot......IF I could get parts for it, (local Honda dealership said its too old to get parts for.....its a 79...) the wheels and tires would cost in excess of $300......so, if the engine is strong, why not use it for a project????

I started the teardown yesterday.......

Seems to be a fairly simple engine to run.......all it needs is trigger power to the coil (from the internal alternator) and a swift kick of the kick start....hadn't ran for 5 years and started on the third kick....gotta love a Honda.....

And a bit of a mock up of where the engine will sit ....gotta re run the exhaust.......it will be run under the chassis, and out the back......

Also, the rear end will be running something with a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern....ordered my hubs last night off ebay....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320557116901

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
should be pretty quick.........is that a wheel barrel your sitting in?????

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, that pic is not me......that's a pic I ran across on another forum that got this crazy idea in my head........

But yes, the "body" will be a steel wheelbarrow bucket.......

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
if you want the wheel barrow to be low to the ground it would be best to mount the engine in the back.

neat idea though!

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
yeah, why not do a rear mount motor? would be easier to do the driveline to the rear wheels then.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh....i already have the whole driveline sketched out in my head....its gonna be motor chain down to the undercariage, where it will go around the forward mid-shaft, next it will run a chain back to the back end of the bucket to the rear mid-shaft, then a chain up to the rear axle. So i will have 3 separate chains in motion: engine to mid-shaft, mid-shaft to mid-shaft, and mid-shaft to rear axle.

the reason for this routing is so it will look more like a T bucket......thats the idea i have in mind for this.

and rear engine will not work, because of the transmission case....i cant run a chain straight down off the output, so i would have to have a MORE complex jackshaft arrangement for a rear engine, and it doesnt fit the look i want.......

·
Registered
746 Posts
We're diehard hot rod guys, we chop up anything, so Yes...I think its cool and dont dare do a rear engine, it'll ruin the whole concept. Keep pictures coming bc it'll be cool if its doen right!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope........LOL it a frickin wheelbarrow strapped to a go cart frame!!!!!!!!!!!

That doesn't mean it won't see a bit of backroad racing..........LOL

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mr mailman brought the hubs today!!!!!

Also been decifering this

To get the bare minimum to make the engine run, which by my tracing, should end up being a setup like this....

·
8,984 Posts
I love it!

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
cool project...good luck.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOL thanks for the encouragement.....the only thing that will hold up this build is $$$ I am broke right now........... I need about $60 for gears and chain to start off......around $60 for bearings for the axle(gonna get moved up to acomodate larger rear tires and stay low slung) and mid shafts, its looking like around 100-150 for tires and rims........so it will most likely be at a stand still for a bit.....maybe get a few items to work on at a time.......I don't know yet.......

1 - 20 of 212 Posts