Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About an hour ago, I killed my first deer....with a vehicle. We were coming home from getting something to eat and the little doe ran out right in front of us. Whack! Instant venison... what's worse, 1/2 mile from the house!!! 50 mph impact! GMC is tough.

Looks bad, but I don't think it tore it up TOO badly. The fender doesn't even look tweaked. Snapped the plastic headlight mounting brackets and the bumper is pushed in a bit. The middle plastic red piece didn't look like it was torn, just pulled loose, but I dunno.

Truck looks a lot better than the deer, though. Luckily, it was a southern deer. They're a lot smaller than the ones up north. I'd probably have had air bag to the face had it been up north.

Still got his fur in the fog light for evidence. Called the insurance company, but I'm going to assess the damage myself before I follow through on a claim. It's a 500 Comp deductible anyway. But I got a feeling that lamp housing and bumper piece might be more than that even if I do the work myself.

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
That sucks man!:thumbsdown::mad: On the bright side, like you said, it could have been much worse. Good thing it was a little one. Good luck w/ the repairs.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
When I was 17 years old, my wife (girlfriend at the time) and I hit a deer leaving our Junior Prom. We left the dance at 11:00 to head down to a creek for some alone time, and hit the deer at 11:06. Needless to say, neither one of us got lucky that night.... :lol:

So, with that being said, I know exactly how you feel. I owned a 1989 S-10 4X4 and it pushed the brush guard right into the grill. After evaluating the damage, I didn’t turn it into insurance and fixed the damage myself.

·
8,984 Posts
Pictures of said dear? errrr dear meat?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Little bastage flew off spinning into the grassy ditch. He's hatin' life right about now.

It was akin to about the bump you feel if you hit a snowdrift. It was a whump and go. A heavy duty whump, but nothing teeth chattering.

I'm not going to fix this one myself. Bumper and headlamp alone with my discounted price is $679.46. Looks like the plastic brackets just gave way on the light, so a new housing assembly is all it needs. Appears nothing bent around the headlamp hole. One small chip in the paint on the fender right on the very front edge, otherwise it looks perfectly straight. Not pushed back at all.

The bumper...different story. Bumper cover looks salvagable, but I noticed a small crack in it. So it's likely going to be replaced. The bumper bar: bent back a little on the pass. side, so I can't be sure if there's some brackets bent or not under there.

I think I'll just pay my $500 deductible and be on my way. First comp other than a windshield in over 30 years. And I've paid them for this long...that's what insurance is for.

If the deer's laying out in the ditch tomorrow, I'll take a couple of pics.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
ouch...I've killed a few of them in my time. glad you're OK and you truck is fixable.

·
8,984 Posts
Listen, go get that deer, quarter it, put it in the freezer until tomorrow, take it to your local guy, have it processed and I will pay for it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Wow

That God :bowdown: thats all the damage !! Ever see the photo on the internet, of the full size deer, right though the Dodge cab??

·
Registered
525 Posts
Only deer I have ever hit was back home in Illinois driving to work up US-150 at like 6 in the morning. I just look up from the normal mirror, mirror, mirror, road scan and there he is looking down at me antlers and all. All I could say was "Aww blank, this is going to hurt." I was in a little Hyundai Tiburon, luckily I only clip his front legs and he rolled down the side of the car. Car was totalled, but that is good thing because my current Camaro was my next purchase.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Now imagine ALL of those feelings/thoughts/damages when you are on a BIKE!!! :eek: :eek:

Luckily for me he went right over the top (he was on the down slope of a hillside that came down to the roads' edge), I caught a brief glimpse of movement/shadow, flinched then ducked as low as I could get on the tank and got clipped on the helmet with his hooves!! My buddy behind me almost sh!t himself...I was sure I did til I pulled over and checked :lol:.... Saw the bastard bounding off the road on the other side. At least the marks buffed right out of my helmet!! :thumbsup:

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts

·
8,984 Posts
Unless it's pretty darn cold in S.C. right now, I wouldn't touch that meat with a stick. :poke::eek: :lol:
Well, tell me why, Great White Hunter. I am not sure if you have watched a TV lately but it's pretty FN cold everywhere right now.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
i have some deer meat and sausage sitting in my freezer from this past season... killed on Dec. 31st. it was about 300 yards away between two trees, i would of never noticed it if my cousin didn't see them. aimed for the heart but caught em right in the stomach, guts all spewing out!!! i gotta pic on my phone but kinda gory for some

·
8,984 Posts
That always suck, just don't ever hit the bladder, or the meat is toast.

I hope you skinned it and cleaned it immediately.....

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
That always suck, just don't ever hit the bladder, or the meat is toast.

I hope you skinned it and cleaned it immediately.....
yup, tracked it through the woods, drug it out, loaded onto the ATV, took it to camp, hung it up and started the process

we only kept the quarters, backstrap, and neck... my pops didn't want to cut into the belly to get the tenderloins cuz the smell would have been unbearable.

my brother shot one the day before and we were able to get everything... but he shot his from only 50 yards away ;)

·
8,984 Posts
Good Move. I have not been in years, but I have been TRYING!!!!! My step-dad got 5 one year and since his arm was in a cast I got to process them all. Great experience.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
yup, tracked it through the woods, drug it out, loaded onto the ATV, took it to camp, hung it up and started the process

we only kept the quarters, backstrap, and neck... my pops didn't want to cut into the belly to get the tenderloins cuz the smell would have been unbearable.

my brother shot one the day before and we were able to get everything... but he shot his from only 50 yards away ;)
I shot my 2nd deer last year a little far back and got her in the gut... you get used to that smell... it does stink but the meat was fine.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts