Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in at our local Dodge dealer today to pick up a chrome grill for my daughter's Jeep. They had a bunch of T-Shirts and Hats hanging around promoting the new Challenger. One of the Managers was walking by and I asked when the challenger will be out? He said probably next spring. Then he said "Each dealer is only going to get one to sell". That's it? A person can't even order one? He essentially responded "Yes". I essentially said that's ridiculous. Maybe in the United States this "one car per dealer" will not be enforced, but that's the way it appears up here. Also, maybe this particular dealer is not well versed on the circumstances.

Is Chrysler approaching this on the basis of "Low supply to boost up the demand and possible MSRP?".

You guys have been following the new Camaro information much longer than I have so I'm wondering if you feel GM will be taking this same type of approach? Comments appreciated.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
So we will have less opportunities to whip up on Challengers than Stangs, at least at first.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
So they basically are goin to try to "wow" everyone with a 425hp SRT, then offer the R/T to the little guy. That's about the dumbest stategy Ive heard on. So, again Dodge is sticking with sell less for more, instead of (GM's way) a lot for less. Im sure this will hurt the challenger in the sale/marketing area against the Mustang and Camaro. I think it would of been smarter to mass produced the **** car at first (but at a slighty, lower number) with V6s and R/Ts, then rock a few with a SRT at the end of the year if sales were good. But then again im not a marketing expert; but I do still feel strong on this being a bad idea.

As of now, the Camaro (in my opinion) is heading down the right path for sales; and the thing is just now going into the prototype phase. GM teased (and still does) from the beginning by releasing small tid-bits of info (but never the big picture). Then a movie appearance to grab the majority public.....and so on. Like OverAnxious said, its a mass production vehicle from the start; which is a smart move versus Dodge complete opposite move.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts

·
I paid $5 for this title!
645 Posts
Well, Dodge might end up with a vehicle that's more of a collectible than the Camaro will be. That's OK if that's what they're shooting for, but I think it would make much more sense for them to place it in the muscle-for-everyone category.

This way they'll have all the hardcore Challenger/Dodge fans, which is fine if that's the only thing they're shooting for, but I think the Challenger would have a fair shot at people who would be shopping it against the Camaro/Mustang/Charger/etc., and they'll lose all those buyers if they don't offer reasonably priced middle-market versions.

Then again, what do I know about their goals.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
One thing Im sure of, its not helping them dig themselves from the hole their in and shead the lack-luster image.

·
Registered
375 Posts
It's like I said before IMOP, the Challenger was never going to be any kind of competition to the Camaro or even the mustang at least on this run, it'll only be a rich mans toy. The second run, sure, they'll have the v-6 and the old hemi r/t, but still won't come close to Ford or GM due to it being over weight, haven't heard anything about the second rounds price range, but knowing Dodge, it'll up there.

·
Registered
122 Posts
So they basically are goin to try to "wow" everyone with a 425hp SRT, then offer the R/T to the little guy. That's about the dumbest stategy Ive heard on. So, again Dodge is sticking with sell less for more, instead of (GM's way) a lot for less. Im sure this will hurt the challenger in the sale/marketing area against the Mustang and Camaro. I think it would of been smarter to mass produced the **** car at first (but at a slighty, lower number) with V6s and R/Ts, then rock a few with a SRT at the end of the year if sales were good. But then again im not a marketing expert; but I do still feel strong on this being a bad idea.

As of now, the Camaro (in my opinion) is heading down the right path for sales; and the thing is just now going into the prototype phase. GM teased (and still does) from the beginning by releasing small tid-bits of info (but never the big picture). Then a movie appearance to grab the majority public.....and so on. Like OverAnxious said, its a mass production vehicle from the start; which is a smart move versus Dodge complete opposite move.
You are sooo right. Bad move on Dodge's part :eek: and very smart for GM :D.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
My only worry about Dodge not mass producing the Challenger is that it wont be real competition for the Camaro. So the supply for the Camaro will be the same but demand will be higher. I am hoping the price wont be. What do yall think?

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Sounds like they are building the Challenger more as a Corvette fighter, than a Mustang/Camaro fighter. The problem is, they already have the Viper for that, and it can't beat the Corvette in anything but maybe straight line.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well the R/T and SRT 5.7, 6.1 will be hooked up a bit in 2009. I think it has to do with the rear-end or something. I'll find what I read on a Dodge forum I'm a member of and paste it here.

Edit: Here it is

"I have a personal opinion on the manual transmission omission for 2008. It is not based on anything other than anecdotal information I have gleaned from talking to a couple of Chrysler engineers.

I think the first Challengers will be released with the same rear end assemblies as found in the other SRT8 LX cars. One engineer I talked to was painfully aware of the broken axle problems drag racers are experiencing when they use power adders or drag radials. The potential shock to the drive train with a manual is significantly higher than with an automatic.

They are making the first estimated run of 5,000+ cars fully contented SRT8s for obvious reasons. Big pickup truck and SUV sales are down these were big profit margin vehicles. They will sell every Challenger from a waiting list no matter how it is equipped. By making them loaded SRT8s they will make more money on each car than if they threw in V-6 strippers. It also will give future less muscular Challenger pony cars a halo effect.

Chrysler didn’t want to have a few hundred 6-speed manual SRT8 Challengers with broken rear axles. (I would never rev to 4,000 and side-step the clutch.) Particularly when these cars will be under warrantee.

Just my two cents."

Now remember, this is an opinion but he seems pretty much on target about the Rear-end.

·
I paid $5 for this title!
645 Posts
I was unaware of these problems. It's certainly a good thing that they're keeping quality in mind, but maybe they'd be better off just delaying everything until it's ready?

Then again, maybe having some pimped out Challengers on the road will boost the sales of the vanilla varieties when they come out.

All that said, I'm very glad GM is taking the opposite approach. As time goes by I'm more and more inclined to believe I'll be able to grab one of the early 'verts. :D

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Looks like they have had plenty of time during the Charger run and the development stages of the Challenger to solve the rear end problem. Making a performance car that won't take enthusiastic driving doesn't make sense. It should make you wonder what the heck else should of been fixed or upgraded.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
The more I hear about what the other guys are doing, the happier I am about what GM is doing. Personally, I'd rather they took their time on this car and made it right, than rushed it, made limited quantities, or made over priced showy models.

Just wish they'd be a little more forthcoming with the info... :D

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
I wouldn't be so quick to think that the first 6 months of the Camaro isn't going to be exactly like the Challenger. There's too much demand at first for the high HP model. I doubt GM will waste it's initial run on the V-6s. I would expect that we'll get the High HP model the first 6 months. After 6 months the lower models will be introduced, with the Convertible at the 1 year mark (2011 model)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts