Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
See You On Course
3,867 Posts
I kinda agree with their comments about the fender gaps, but hopefully these are the smallest available rims, on the V6, and not the ones on my V8. :D

·
Dark Side Moderator
2,665 Posts
A lot of miss information in that thread. I lot of hate, just like in the LS1 nutswinging forums. I love the smart guy who says "do you realize that they are built in Australia". I wish I could reply back, "Do you realize that you are wrong and they are built in Canada.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I think what is happening is many GTO owners are not GM guys (or domestic fans). They were import people (350Z, STi, BMW, etc) type car guys. The GTO appealed to them because it was as un-GM as we've ever had here. You'll notice the only GM cars they get excited about are Corvette's. Others are the military types - young guys with huge egos.

Obviously, I'm not talking about all GTO owners. You know which ones I'm referring to. Me, OTOH, like my GTO for a driver, but it's no Camaro (which is why many people like it). If only we could all get along; we're GM performance cars!

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
It appears that some like it, some don't.

It's ok that people have opinions. I bet that alot of GTO owners will also buy a Camaro.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It appears that some like it, some don't.

It's ok that people have opinions. I bet that alot of GTO owners will also buy a Camaro.
It looks as though your car list is much like mine. The GTO was the only choice to fill the gap from 2002 to now.

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
correct. I had just went through a divorce. I didn't have crap for several years. I wanted a Camaro really bad, but it wasn't to be. The day that I became debt free I "celebrated" buy going back into debt with the then new GTO.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I'm perplexed. I've never understood buying a car as a "gap filler". Either it's the car you want, or it's not. Nothing in between. But that's just me. I will never buy a car unless I'm confident it's the car I want and a car I can live with. Probably why I keep them seemingly forever. I don't "settle" for a car I'm not happy with. If people love GTO's and they buy them because that's the car they want and desire, more power to them.

IMO, GTO's are a stop gap measure in semi-affordable GM RWD performance for those people that desire gap fillers.

If you want to go spend money to "tide you over", why not buy a decent 4th gen Camaro or older Corvette? They're a heckuva lot better choices than an "excuse" car like the GTO...but this is only my opinion. Performance-wise, I suppose they're ok. But if it didn't look so much like a jellybean it may not be so bad. There's something...no, a LOT lacking in the GTO styling that just doesn't scream to me "I will bring you joy in owning me, take me home and put me in your garage!"

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm perplexed. I've never understood buying a car as a "gap filler". Either it's the car you want, or it's not. Nothing in between. But that's just me. I will never buy a car unless I'm confident it's the car I want and a car I can live with. Probably why I keep them seemingly forever. I don't "settle" for a car I'm not happy with. If people love GTO's and they buy them because that's the car they want and desire, more power to them.

IMO, GTO's are a stop gap measure in semi-affordable GM RWD performance for those people that desire gap fillers.

If you want to go spend money to "tide you over", why not buy a decent 4th gen Camaro or older Corvette? They're a heckuva lot better choices than an "excuse" car like the GTO...but this is only my opinion. Performance-wise, I suppose they're ok. But if it didn't look so much like a jellybean it may not be so bad. There's something...no, a LOT lacking in the GTO styling that just doesn't scream to me "I will bring you joy in owning me, take me home and put me in your garage!"
That's pretty much why I've realized owning a GTO just isn't me. I bought the GTO thinking it was the perfect blend of Camaro performance and every day civility. Well, it is - but utimately, that's not what I want. This is first I've bought a car to "tide me over" - and it will probably be the last.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts

I agree sort of....but I do own a "gap filler". I had a blown malibu that I sold a couple years ago because I knew I was going to buy a camaro...I thought it would take a long time to sell, so I started putting the word out and figured I'd unload it sometime before the Camaro arrived. WELL, I sold it in 2 weeks for my asking price.

SO, I thought i'd be OK without a "fun car"...but I needed something. I invested all the malibu $$ for a downpayment on the Camaro...so I didn't want to spend too much on a "gap filler" and wanted something I wouldn't end up dumping $$ into and could re-sell after a year or 2. I wanted to find a 4th gen...but it seemed like I'd have to spend around 7-8K if I wanted to get something decent...I was hoping to spend 5K.

SO...don't shoot me, but I picked up a '96 mustang GT for $4k. It's got 100k miles on it, but it's in almost perfect shape and it's mostly stock so I know it wasn't butchered up by some ford guy. It's NOT fast (actually disappointingly slow), but it's a 5spd and has that mustang sound, so it's fun to drive. I bought it april '07 and hope to sell it by the end of this summer. I have 2 people who are interested in buying it. I should be able to make a few $$ on it. SO, in my case, it's really a gap filler...because I had no intention on keeping it...just wanted a car to cruise around in on nice days. It's the first and probably last ford I'll ever own.

·
Supporting Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
Have you ever seen 2 lane black top. That movie basically sums up the profile of a GTO owner(not ALL). 2 lane blacktop is kind of like the way they always say all camaro owners have mullets. The GTO crowd can't even agree on a GTO. The 64 guys say theirs is the best. The 65 guys don't like the 64 or anything else. The 70's guys don't like the 65 or 64. All of them hate the 04-06 GTO.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
yeah, that's my thread. you are right, a lot of the guys on that GTO board are former BMW/Subaru/Honda/etc guys that only bought the GTO with the mindset that it was the best car from GM because they think it didn't have anything to do with GMNA. :rolleyes: and yeah, they are hella misinformed when it comes to the new Camaro... that's why i go over there and post updates. i try to spread accurate info and share my 5thgen excitement, but my threads usually turn into crap after the GM bashers start jumping in.

i love how they make comments that the new Camaro is fat, and ugly, and they hate it... then they say the Challenger is pure sex :confused: i also laughed at the comment that the new Camaro sits really high. umm, last i checked it sits about the same exact height as the GTO. :hello: my threads over there about the new Camaro have turned into wars and they usually end up getting locked. i have given up trying to argue with them. from now on, i'll prolly just start Camaro threads to get the facts out there... and leave them to run their course. that's all i can do.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
I like GTOs, but let's face it...The last GTOs are some of the most universally hated for styling in GMs line. From that perspective, most of them have no taste.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I wouldn't mind owning a GTO, I think they look okay in their own way,

But does it really matter what they think?
There are, after all -- so few of them.:rotflmao: (just kidding, GTO people!;))

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
I love my GTO and so does my wife. I actually almost traded my Camaro for it until I decided to make the Camaro more of a Race car. I'm glad I didn't trade in my Camaro and glad I have the GTO. I liked them from the get go. My wife wasn't thrilled about it when we first saw them, but after having it she won't let me trade it in on a new Camaro. She want's it after I get the Camaro which kinda shocked me because she wanted a Mustang (she's a long time mustang nut having owned 5 in the past and really likes the new ones). I told her she could trade it for a mustang if she wanted one after I got the Camaro, her response was "why would I want to do that I like the GTO just fine" she does not like the G8 so trading it for one of them is out as well. I never bought it as a stop gap, I was going to get one from the get go. Fortunately for me she's a car nut as well so my vehicle lineup will just grow.

·
Supporting Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
I don't hate the GTO we have. Its not an f-body by far, but it does perform well. It just amazes me that GM marketed to that overall crowd and thats who bought the car. Its funny sometimes to see the threads or even talk to some, they pretty much don't have a clue. Again its not all just the stereo type that fits the profile of the guy in the gto from 2 lane black top. There just seems to be so many of them.:rotflmao:

·
Registered
738 Posts
To agree with everyone who has already agreed, some of those are just out right insane!

I DO think the Camaro is a bit boxy. But I've also not seen one car in my life that I thought was absolutely perfect in every way.

I question whether or not some of those guys even drive Mustangs/Firebirds/Camaros despite saying they do/have. One said they all sit too high. I can't even go over a lot of speed bumps in my unmodded Mustang because it hits the bottom. I usually have to go around them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts