Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the fbodfather possibly shed some light?

SOURCE: http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightline/2009/09/the-mystery-1969-chevy-camaro-ss-z28.html

Edmunds InsideLine said:

Check out this interesting old shot I found on GM's media website of a 1969 Chevy Camaro SS Z/28 being driven on the big oval at GM's Milford Proving Grounds in Michigan.

The interesting part is that Chevy didn't officially make an SS Z/28 in 1969. You could get an SS or an SS RS or an RS or a Z/28 RS, but not an SS Z/28. I asked around at GM and got blank stares back. Anyone out there know anything about this car or what happened to it?

All Z/28s in 1969 were powered by a 302 cubic inch engine backed by a 4-speed, but SS models came standard with a 350 cubic inch engine and several variations of the big-block 396 were optional. And both automatic and manual transmissions were available on the SS model.

Notice there's no engine identification on this car (Z/28s have a 302 on the hoodscoop sides and SS models have a 350 or 396 badge at the leading edge of the front fenders where this car says Z/28). I wonder what engine was in this car?

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Maybe it was just a mis-print...and it's really only an SS. By looking at the car that's what it looks like.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
I'm not hugely into the 1st gens, but didn't the SS get the "faux" scooped hood?

Yes the SS did get the SS hood stacks in the hood.
Car that came with cowl induction set up came with the Cowl of coruse.

like....... http://www.collectormotors.com/1968L89.htm

Mine came foctory with the Cowl induction setup.

if im not mistaking most all had the SS hood stacks......I loved the hood stack look.

As for SS/Z28 I didnt know of a SS/Z28 back in 69 :confused:

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
There's a Z/28 emblem on the front fenders. Kind of hard to make out but they are there.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
That 302 was a Very strong engine its over looked by many because of its bigblock brothers who stand in the way. The 69 Z28 with a 302 ranks near the top and always will when it comes to Great engines from Gm.
And a truley saught after engine today! My favorite GM engine, from the earlier days, is the 400 small block. Although it was never put in the Camaro from the factory, I had one and it screamed. :D

Back to the 302s Chevy had it before Ford. What was the real reason Chevy stopped production of the 302?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts