Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to hook up an external HDD with MP3 to the USB port - why cannot get the radio to recognize. Please help.

New guy - great to be here...thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
So does that mean MY 550GB drive wont work but a little penstick jobby will? My Creative zen is not recognised by my car so will buy a small pen stick hard drive to load it with my tunes if you think it'll work?
Sometimes I wish I knew a bit more about computers!:lol:

·
Registered
27 Posts
windows based systems are not needed but the camero does not support hard drives.

For example Alpine makes "mechless" (no cd player) systems that run off ipods, thumbdrives, hard drives, basically any usb device and they are not windows based.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Target has a 4GB chip that fits in a USB adapter for about $10.00. The whole thing is only about 1 inch long so it does not get in the way. Works great.

Spec: Dane - Elec micro SDHC card and USB Reader/Adapter. (bar code)0427272981

www.dane-elec.com

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Trying to hook up an external HDD with MP3 to the USB port - why cannot get the radio to recognize. Please help.

New guy - great to be here...thanks in advance.
It would work except for 2 problems: 1) the disk needs to be formatted as a FAT32 filesystem and 2) the USB port doesn't feed enough power to run the hard drive and read data at the same time. USB provides a +5V lead, but the amperage required by the hard drive is much greater than for the thumb/flash drive.

Oh and one more thing, car's personal data interface only indexes 2500 songs, which would all fit on the thumb drive anyway, so there's no point in using an external hard drive.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
It would work except for 2 problems: 1) the disk needs to be formatted as a FAT32 filesystem and 2) the USB port doesn't feed enough power to run the hard drive and read data at the same time. USB provides a +5V lead, but the amperage required by the hard drive is much greater than for the thumb/flash drive.

Oh and one more thing, car's personal data interface only indexes 2500 songs, which would all fit on the thumb drive anyway, so there's no point in using an external hard drive.
Unless you go ghetto and get an external enclosure to put in a hard-drive from the mid 90's. :lol:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Or you can get a thumbdrive/flashdrive and don't have to worry about losing a memory card.

You will not loose the card if you get the one from Traget. The card is only about a 1/2 inch square and slides into the adapter securely so that the whole thing only sticks out about a 1/2 inch. That way it doesn't get in the way of everything in the box.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
Yea stick with solid state HDDs or flash drives if you're just going the memory route.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
I don't think solid state HDD's would work either.
They require more power and are **** expensive.
Hmm I don't have one, but if I ever get one or I find someone with one I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts