Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
I loathe the term redneck. It's usually derogatory.

If someone posted "n*gg*r games" on here it'd get deleted and they'd be banned as fast as the mods could hit the ban button.

My best friend is what many of you would refer to as a "redneck". Poor, white farm boy.

He's got several vehicles over $100,000 each, yet he's poor.

The reason he's poor is he grows FOOD for you.
The vehicles are farm equipment, necessary for his job.
You see, he's a dairy farmer.
The Federal govt. sets the price of his products, not fair market value.

He's not on welfare. He doesn't take handouts.

He's a good, Christian man who will give you anything he has if you need it.

Use your heads people. We're better than this.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I loathe the term redneck. It's usually derogatory.

If someone posted "n*gg*r games" on here it'd get deleted and they'd be banned as fast as the mods could hit the ban button.

My best friend is what many of you would refer to as a "redneck". Poor, white farm boy.

He's got several vehicles over $100,000 each, yet he's poor.

The reason he's poor is he grows FOOD for you.
You see, he's a dairy farmer.
The Federal govt. sets the price of his products, not fair market value.

He's not on welfare. He doesn't take handouts.

He's a good, Christian man who will give you anything he has if you need it.

Use your heads people. We're better than this.
I think you've described the original meaning of the term to a T. The derogatory version generally refers to beer-swilling layabouts who are perpetually working on projects, like the car on the lawn. The cute version refers to country boys who like to have a good time and pursue manly pasttimes. Unfortunately most people don't have a clue about the original meaning of the word. Good to see someone in PA does! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
It strikes a nerve. I think it's pretty easy to see my point.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Actually, the term "Redneck" originates from the practice of the first unionized coal miners in Pennsylvania and West Virginia wearing a red handkerchief around their neck for identification as Union Labor. As non - Appalachians flooded the region to work the mines they started to apply the term "redneck" to all Appalachian peoples, who where considered to be crude, uneducated & backwards by the outsiders.

Like so many words in the American lexicon it has been greatly bastardized over the generations of use.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yikes !!! I meant no disrespect to anyone here, friends or even family of theirs. Just though it was humors link to share.

My apologizes to everyone here.

Always have considered myself a good-ole-boy type. From the south, born in North Carolina. Lived up and down the east-coast and resided in Georgia since 1986. The term "Redneck" can mean so many things. I believe that myself falls into that definition at times.

Sincerely, David.

:5go:

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts
Yikes !!! I meant no disrespect to anyone here, friends or even family of theirs. Just though it was humors link to share.

My apologizes to everyone here.

Always have considered myself a good-ole-boy type. From the south, born in North Carolina. Lived up and down the east-coast and resided in Georgia since 1986. The term "Redneck" can mean so many things. I believe that myself falls into that definition at times.

Sincerely, David.

:5go:
:werd: +/ Me... I know ya meant No harm/Disrespect... :D/:5go:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Actually, the term "Redneck" originates from the practice of the first unionized coal miners in Pennsylvania and West Virginia wearing a red handkerchief around their neck for identification as Union Labor. As non - Appalachians flooded the region to work the mines they started to apply the term "redneck" to all Appalachian peoples, who where considered to be crude, uneducated & backwards by the outsiders.

Like so many words in the American lexicon it has been greatly bastardized over the generations of use.
Not exactly. the use of the term redneck in the sense that patriotpa is referring to predates your definition by more than 20 years. Both uses of the word are referred to in the wikipedia article.
The term characterized farmers having a red neck caused by sunburn from hours working in the fields. A citation from 1893 provides a definition as "poorer inhabitants of the rural districts...men who work in the field, as a matter of course, generally have their skin stained red and burnt by the sun, and especially is this true of the back of their necks".[10]

By 1900, "rednecks" was in common use to designate the political coalitions (Democratic Party) of the poor white farmers in the South.[11] The same group was also often called the "wool hat boys" (for they opposed the rich men, who wore expensive silk hats). A newspaper notice in Mississippi in August 1891 called on rednecks to rally at the polls at the upcoming primary election:[12]

Primary on the 25th.
And the "rednecks" will be there.
And the "Yaller-heels" will be there, also.
And the "hayseeds" and "gray dillers," they'll be there, too.
And the "subordinates" and "subalterns" will be there to rebuke their slanderers and traducers.
And the men who pay ten, twenty, thirty, etc. etc. per cent on borrowed money will be on hand, and they'll remember it, too.
The Union use of the word started in the 1920s and 30s. Union history is not the final word on anything, IMHO.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
No harm, no foul. It's funny what is considered "acceptable" without a second thought. If one slur is "acceptable", then they ALL should be.

No worries.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No harm, no foul. It's funny what is considered "acceptable" without a second thought. If one slur is "acceptable", then they ALL should be.

No worries.
Glad to hear.

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts

·
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep
4,638 Posts

No worries.
Well if rednecks fight for rights like women did back in the 20s or like blacks fought for equality in the 60s then i'll stopped calling them rednecks. I don't think rednecks have had any protests about people calling them rednecks.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
It was cool until a few years ago it became a slur. I told a buddy of mine at work who used the term on me: "You don't call me redneck, and I won't call you ******". It worked. He's been cool ever since.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Not exactly. the use of the term redneck in the sense that patriotpa is referring to predates your definition by more than 20 years. Both uses of the word are referred to in the wikipedia article.

The Union use of the word started in the 1920s and 30s. Union history is not the final word on anything, IMHO.
I learned something new today... I'm always open to that.

The history I shared was what I had learned through my Appalachian heritage (Pennsylvania coal miners) , and had very little to do with Union history.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Some people do call themselves rednecks and whatnot. The quickest thing that comes to mind is the song "Redneck Yacht Club". I could careless if I get called a redneck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts