Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A fellow car club member posted this to our site today:

If you have On-Star and your currently paying for it, or if you had it for free and it ran out. If you call in and tell them you want to cancel due to price they will give you the top package for $12 a month for 10 months. I was paying almost $30 a month so it was a good savings for me

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Yeah..I'm going to have to call soon and have them remove my credit card number from their files.
I have always found it very sketchy that you can't do so through the website so you have to call and gripe at them for them to do so.

EDIT: Even though I have since cancelled that card number so they wouldn't get any money anyway.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Is onstar useful enough for $30/$12 a month?
Depends on the individual I guess...

Personally I paid a one time payment for my GPS, albeit it was 300+ dollars. However from the time I bought that GPS to now, if I instead had OnStar I would've been paying so much more in monthly payments. I have a cell-phone with good coverage for all else(Also has GPS capability)...The chances of them both failing in a road trip are slim to none...So, to me OnStar is pretty worthless.

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is onstar useful enough for $30/$12 a month?
Depends on the buyer.

They offer two plans: http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/plans/index.jsp

The 'Automatic Crash Response / Crisis / Emergency Services' are priceless if you ever need them.

Remote unlock not so much if it was the only service.
Stolen vehicle assistance can be very nice as well.

hands free calling and turn by turn can easily be provided by your mobile phone provider.

·
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple
11,842 Posts

Personally I paid a one time payment for my GPS, albeit it was 300+ dollars. However from the time I bought that GPS to now, if I instead had OnStar I would've been paying so much more in monthly payments. I have a cell-phone with good coverage for all else(Also has GPS capability)...The chances of them both failing in a road trip are slim to none...So, to me OnStar is pretty worthless.
Except the GPS needs a map update yearly which isn't free.
And that GPS won't call an ambulance if you get in a wreck. ;)

I plan to keep an active OnStar Directions & Connections package on my car for as long as I own it. :)

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
I don't travel out of town much and I have the OEM nav unit. When I do go on vacation though I call and activate Onstar directions and connections plan and then cancel after one month. It really does help to have a real person on the line when you are out of state and need help that a GPS can't give you about the area you are in. If I traveled alot I would have it all year, but my nav unit works fine for local stuff. My only thing is, I wish that Onstar and the nav would communicate with each other because I like having the visual as well. If they were working together, I would probley keep it all year anyway.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts

i paid 50 for a refurb gps... froze on me once, but other than that no problems.. driven a fair bit of the way across the country 3 times now (800 miles or more... 1 of these was nearly 2000)

·
2,416 Posts
We have OnStar and a GPS. The GPS can be a real pain to use and I've grown to not like it as much as OnStar. I find OnStar easy to use. I've down loaded a bunch of maps to it and pressing the button and talking to a live person is much easier than trying to drive and put in an address in a GPS.

I once got a Suburban stuck in the mud towing a trailer with a car on it. My friends dad pointed to the area that he thought would be ok to turn around in. Needless to say it wasn't stuck too bad but just enough. I fought with it for an hour and still couldn't get the truck and trailer out. I finally gave up think WOW this was going to be a pricey tow bill. I called OnStar told them I was stuck. They sent out a BIG RIG WRECKER and pulled the truck and trailer out in no time. The best part was it didn't cost me a penny. OnStar covers tows. I'll always have OnStar active on my truck used for pulling the car trailer.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
We have OnStar and a GPS. The GPS can be a real pain to use and I've grown to not like it as much as OnStar. I find OnStar easy to use. I've down loaded a bunch of maps to it and pressing the button and talking to a live person is much easier than trying to drive and put in an address in a GPS.
I accidentally pushed a button on my GPS once that cancelled my route. All I had to do was pull off to the side of the road and put it back in again (or just use the "Last Places", or whatever it's called, function) and I was on my way again. :D

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
2,416 Posts
When we bought the Hearse in Ohio we had the directions to his main location. We didn't know he had a second warehouse. We arrived to his main show room only to find nobody there. We waited for sometime and asked around to see if anyone new how to contact anyone who worked there. I had a few numbers including the number I had called the guy, but he never answered.

We then called OnStar to see if they new of another location for the Hearse company and yep they found it and down loaded the directions to the truck. Try looking for a Hearse dealer with a GPS. The employees were at the other warehouse and all turned out well.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Sounds like a cool feature, we have crummy vehicles so I never had the chance to play with it. Does ford have something like this or is it only GM?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
*Driving Hennesey CTS-V and maxing .99G on the skidpad in a turn*

"This is onstar. It seems that your car has registered an accident event, may we provide any assistance?"

"I dunno.. have you ever gone plaid in one of these things before?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk7VWcuVOf0

·
Registered
105 Posts
Except the GPS needs a map update yearly which isn't free.
And that GPS won't call an ambulance if you get in a wreck. ;)

I plan to keep an active OnStar Directions & Connections package on my car for as long as I own it. :)

Whatever happened to rubbing dirt in the wound and walking it off? :p

·
8,984 Posts
I know several people have had their lives saved due to be knocked out in a wreck.

One just got out of a wheel chair this year.

No racing involved, just a late night wreck in the fog and they were in the sticks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts