Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read on JD Powers website that the Camaro will have a tire pressure monitoring system. How does this work, and how does this affect the ability to use aftermarket wheels on the Camaro? By installing aftermarket wheels, does this have a tendency to set off the alarms that something is wrong with the air pressure?

·
Registered
523 Posts
not sure about the aftermarket wheel but my impala has this option and it displays on the dash at the push of a button each tire is read individualy.i like this and use it alot,im glad to hear the camaro is going to have it.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
I think I heard somewhere that this is becoming a standard safety item on ALL new cars. I know you HAVE to have them with run-flats. I bet that you either have to have them installed on the aftermarket wheels as well, or maybe the system only registers the tires that have them installed, showing low readings.

If the system gives you errors for over-inflating, I'm going to be mad. I over-inflate for autocrossing.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
Yeah, it's a required safety feature now.
It will display the tire pressures in the DIC.

Not exactly sure how it will work with aftermarket wheels, but methinks the aftermarket knows to put the sensors in.

·
Registered
29 Posts
every car from 07 on has tire pressure monitors. its reguired by law. They will work with aftermarkets. The big issue is with the sive of the tires on the rims. They have to be big enough for the monitor to fit inside it.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
If the Camaro comes with factory installed TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) there shouldn't be a problem utilizing aftermarket wheels as long as the factory transmitters are correctly installed on the new wheels. Earlier designs of TPMS's had large band clamps holding the transmitters, but now they have progressed to smaller units built into the valve stems. The receiver permanently mounted in the car needs to have the sensors all within range and in the correct pressure parameters. The annoying part will be when you mount drag radials or 'over-inflate' for autocross (in Guy's case) the TPMS will continuously warn of a problem.:BangHead:

Early design:

Current design:

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
When my dad rented a pontiac grand prix many years ago for a work trip..the tire pressure sensor was out of wack and kept saying one of the tires was low....even though it wasn't.
Annoyed the piss out of him. :p
Yeah, my wife's Rav4 kept doing that, too. Problem was the spare was low, and it had one in it too. For some reason, it's always the one that causes the indicator light to come on.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts