Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2011 RS convertible used with 17K on it almost two years ago. I now have 23K and the front tires are somewhat worn along the outside edges. These are Pirelli tires - 20" - the originals. The previous owner had a great deal of curb rash on the rims, so I am thinking the tires may have been through it.

Questions, if you would not mind advising me:
1) How many miles should a Camaro tire (such as the Pirelli) last?
2) Would you recommend the Pirelli as replacements?
3) Would replacing the wheels with chrome rims change the ride and drive quality of the car?

I really enjoy the way my car handles. I think with new tires, if indeed needed, it might handle even better. I am considering the rims only as something to add to the look of the car. If it would detract from the ride/handling, I would not want them. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I had 19 in Pirelli on my vert and just put 20 ZL1 replicas on at 17K with more than 50% left on the 19s. The oem tires generally have excellent tread wear and performance to meet the automobile's design. Here is a pic of my new rims and tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
there are posts on here that PatriotPa got 55000 on his originals

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
True. Also, the finish on your wheels will NOT affect tire wear, mileage or performance.
You can get your wheels repaired, and they'll look like new.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I think with new tires, if indeed needed, it might handle even better. I am considering the rims only as something to add to the look of the car. If it would detract from the ride/handling, I would not want them. Thanks for your help!
Make sure you have an alignment done when you do the tires. Signs of curb rash and single edge wear means it def needs an alignment... There are different methods of aligning a car. One is geared solely around tire longevity, the other is geared around performance/handling....

As for wheels, you most likely won't notice any handling change unless you go larger or wider or end up with a heavier wheel...

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
I also have a 2013 vert. Bought mine with 19k. I am changing tires today with 39k. Still have some tread on the p20's but it is a little dicey on the wet roads around here. Once the wear begins as you have described, I don't believe there is much you can do to extend the life much. I am replacing with Nitto's. Ck for a RIM DR. in your area. Had one repaired on my wife's accord and it turned out great. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I'm not a fan of the Pirellis. I think the Pilot SS tires are probably top of the line. I went with Continental Extreme-Contact DSW tires.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
I'm with Chapel, my Pirellis were shot early on. I went with the Toyo Proxes 4 Plus on advise i received from this forum. I'm extremely happy with them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought my 2011 RS convertible used with 17K on it almost two years ago. I now have 23K and the front tires are somewhat worn along the outside edges. These are Pirelli tires - 20" - the originals. The previous owner had a great deal of curb rash on the rims, so I am thinking the tires may have been through it.

Questions, if you would not mind advising me:
1) How many miles should a Camaro tire (such as the Pirelli) last?
2) Would you recommend the Pirelli as replacements?
3) Would replacing the wheels with chrome rims change the ride and drive quality of the car?

I really enjoy the way my car handles. I think with new tires, if indeed needed, it might handle even better. I am considering the rims only as something to add to the look of the car. If it would detract from the ride/handling, I would not want them. Thanks for your help!
Make sure you keep a proper alignment and rotate the tires when recommended to get the most life out of them as you can .

As far as replacements it all depends on how you intend to drive the car and what weather conditions you drive in rain , snow , extreme heat , track use etc. Not every tire is ideal for everyone .

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Been on the Nitto Motivo's for a couple of days now. First thing i noticed is how much quieter they are than the P Zeros. Seems to handle the same. Road trip this weekend. Will let you know if my opinion changes

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you. My Pirellis are noisy, but I love the handling. Most of my driving is on the interstate. Any suggestions on Toyo or other brands instead of the Pirellis? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
I tried the General AS-03. Crappy tire. Wandered all over the place, kicked out suddenly in corners, etc. You can read my review of them here: http://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-forum/46162-general-g-max-03-a.html

I went back to the Pirellis. They're a really great warm weather tire.

Tires are responsible for a LOT of the handling characteristics of your car, especially on a performance car like the Camaro. A wrong choice can SERIOUSLY change the way your car feels and drives.

·
Registered
375 Posts
55,000 miles on the orginial tires on a Camaro, he must drove like a old lady, which is no problem but that unreal.. Maybe you thought-------------- never mind, I'm just messing with you. I'm 70 year old and got my first THREE speeding tickets in my life in my 2012 Camaro Convertible amd as usually all with in a mile from my house. Ho Hum, maybe if I slowed it down I would get 55,000 too. The judge was not too happy to see me the third time. Remember Virginia is For Lover (and Speed) in my book.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
I go through speed trap capital of Virginia every day to work ... know most of the spots but they still come up with new ones especially in the dark

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
55,000 miles on the orginial tires on a Camaro, he must drove like a old lady, must drive like an old lady which is no problem but that's unreal.. Maybe you thought-------------- never mind, I'm just messing with you. I'm 70 years old and got my first THREE speeding tickets in my life in my 2012 Camaro Convertible amd and as usually usual all with in within a mile from my house. Ho Hum, maybe if I slowed it down I would get 55,000 too. The judge was not too happy to see me the third time. Remember Virginia is For Lovers (and Speed) in my book.
Boy, since I KNOW you don't have the poor manners to break the rules by throwing insults around on this forum, here's your "old lady".:lol:

Shirley Muldowney Top Fueler - YouTube
http://youtu.be/nL1BpJ65o2Q

There's a time and place for aggressive driving...it's not on the street.:eek: Take it to the track.:thumbsup: ...unless you're afraid of getting your butt handed to you by an "old lady".:5go:

In confession, I've done a few (empty) parking lot burnouts and donuts on the original tires, and some fast corners. Still, I replaced them with another set of Pirellis at about 55K with legal tread left.

eta: Since Pirelli is now owned by the PRC, I'm going to BFG Sport Comp 2s next time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you're looking for a set of summer tires, BFG g-force sport comp 2's are a good option. Great grip on dry and wet roads. Cornering is good, and quiet on the highway.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Been on my Motivos for a couple of months now in all kinds of weather except snow and ice. Very pleased with them. Just an update. :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
I went with Proxes 4 + by Toyo a tire that should last 50 thousand miles if lucky, with a ss and built I have a hard time not chirping occasionally. The stock Pirellis were worn to almost the wear bar in the back at thirteen thousand miles, and Les Schwab here is good for tires also they stock used rims they trade in for cheap.... as IN I have a good relationship with them and can buy a set of new...used SS rims for $300 and maybe will some day. Rims will not change the ride just the looks if they are good, and I love my Rocket racing wheels and just wish the chrome was not pitting slightly and may have to have them powder coated for cheap some day.... A guy around here does them for like $300 with blasting...

Sure the fronts were still good, but hey the P zeros are a 220 wear rating like y or z rated tire with AA traction etc and the Proxes are like 550 wear rating , and handle the same to me and are AA traction etc with a z-y rating and I do not notice them flinging gravel and clinging to every piece of anything and giving me road rash...also I got some stealth mud flaps to help too. SO I do expect to be able to get around 40 thousand + miles from the new tires and they feel better in the rain and can supposedly handle light snow better. The most people usually get from p zeros is around 25 thousand miles with their rating on a SS..... And this is for those of you considering things....what are you going to do with the car? I daily drive, I read the fine print, and to have a tire that lasts is important so read up and good luck to you all.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts