Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have experience with the stock/factory tires from gm in the camaro family (1-4th gen)? i plan to cruise a lot and make circuit driving a regular part of my life. i'm not sure if it's smarter to go with the cheapest factory rubber and then equip my 5th gen with specialty performance tires after the purchase, or go with the perfomance stuff from gm? does anybody have any thoughts?? :confused: :BangHead:

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
I've got friends with new Corvettes, and they definitely will not go with the Goodyear Eagle F1 tires again. For performance street tires, I usually go to TireRack to check out user reviews. I ended up buying Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals for my car, and I autocross, and LOVE these tires. They really impressed me over the last set of Kuhmos I had.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'm really hoping they don't use run-flat tires on the Camaro. They are expensive to put on the vehicle, adding to the cost, and expensive to replace (800-ish a wheel).

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
My goal is to rid myself of the factory tires asap! Tire Rack is a great resource. I am a huge fan of both the Hankook Ventus series and the Yokahama Geolanders. It has been a while since I have used BFG's, but I will be doing some research. Never been a big fan of Goodyear. Hoosier makes a nice race tire, but I am not sure about street tires.

·
Registered
36 Posts
does anyone have experience with the stock/factory tires from gm in the camaro family (1-4th gen)? i plan to cruise a lot and make circuit driving a regular part of my life. i'm not sure if it's smarter to go with the cheapest factory rubber and then equip my 5th gen with specialty performance tires after the purchase, or go with the perfomance stuff from gm? does anybody have any thoughts?? :confused: :BangHead:
IMHO, you can probably live with the stock tires for "cruising" until you wear them out, then upgrade. As for "making circuit driving a regular part of your life", you might want to consider buying a set of performance wheels & tires specifically for road racing, autocrossing, or whatever it is that you plan to compete in on weekends. Then you can switch to them before heading out to the track or haul them out and put them on in the pit area, depending on how far away the track is.

You'll find that purpose made competition tires wear out rather quickly, as they have to be 'shaved' for optimum traction, and the rubber is much softer than hwy. tread and will scrub off rubber too quickly to drive them on the street.

Depending on how serious you plan to get with your "circuit driving", you have some decisions to make. Most serious weekend racers would never try to run the same tires on the street that are used on the track.
Good luck. :cool:

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
i'm not sure if it's smarter to go with the cheapest factory rubber and then equip my 5th gen with specialty performance tires after the purchase, or go with the perfomance stuff from gm? does anybody have any thoughts?? :confused: :BangHead:
Kind of hard to say without knowing what kind of tires the 5th gen will have. The test-mules had pirelli's. Personally, I can't see buying tires until the stock ones are worn out...which might not be too long if they suck.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
I bought BFG g-force Super Sport all seasons for my GTO when the stock KDWS's wore out. I like them a lot better. I did not go with a summer tire since I drive this GTO in the winter.

For the Camaro, I personally will be going with the standard wheel and tire option. I plan on getting aftermarket wheels and lowering it after purchasing the car. I'll will keep the stock wheels and tires for the colder seasons.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'll go for BFGoodrich Tires or Integrity tires, they are the best option. BFGoodrich re-introduced the G-Force R1 at this year’s SEMA show. Emphasis is being placed on relatively good tire wear, while maintaining excellent traction.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Definitely Pirelli tires. Look at the pictures.

http://www.5thgen.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6962

road & track (OK, not always the most accurate source) says they are Pirelli P Zero's....which are original Equipment on the Aston Martin DB9, Audi R8, Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano, Lamborghini Murcielago, Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT and Mercedes-Benz AMG vehicles...so they are probably pretty decent tires;)

·
Registered
347 Posts
road & track (OK, not always the most accurate source) says they are Pirelli P Zero's....which are original Equipment on the Aston Martin DB9, Audi R8, Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano, Lamborghini Murcielago, Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT and Mercedes-Benz AMG vehicles...so they are probably pretty decent tires;)
If you look closely at the pictures in full resolution you can ream "P ZERO" on the tire. So if indeed those are the tires to be on the production car they will be Zero's. But we still don't know if those are base tires or higher end optional tires. It could be that the Pirelli P Zero's are part of the RS Package......

We shall find out in 15 hours and 45 min.!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts