Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...of the 5th gen, at least the few that are around, how does it feel?

My car is in the shop and I have been borrowing my friends 98 Z28 for a few days now and all I can say is WOW! Its got 85k on it and has been lowered some but other than tha its completly stock right down to the spark plugs! :eek:

This is my first time driving a Camaro ever. It is literally one of the best feelings I have ever had in a car (high school excluded:D).

I love nearly everything about this car and it has quadrupled my excitment for the 5th gen.

So, I would love to hear som comparisons now that I understand where people will be coming from.:patriot:

:roxor:I love this car!!:roxor:

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
It's always cool to see a first reaction to driving a Camaro. :cool:

If you like the 4th Gen, you're gonna LOVE the 5th Gen.
There are so many things better about the 5th Gen, that the 4th Gen is not even in the same game.

Now granted, the 4th Gen was a fine car, and a very capable one at that.
But it was also on a chassis that originated in the late 70s.
So it lacked refinement, was pretty rough, and the build quality - while pretty good - wasn't the greatest.

The 5th Gen rides on a chassis (ZetaII) is a technological masterpiece.
All new with the latest and greatest refinements, and the build quality will be spot on.

It's really hard to compare the two because they are so different.
But if you like what we had before, you're gonna LOVE what's coming. :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its so much fun to drive my heart rate comes up just walking out to the car.

I love the way its really connected to the road, lowering helps that of course, and I like the way the steering is responsive but heavy, you really need to mean to turn or it just doesnt and thats a good thing.

I love my Charger and its the best car I have eber owned but it reallt feels like grandmas buick compared to the Camaro, and my car beat the Z28 in a stop light drag but its kind of vague in the feel department. I little too much Mercedes E calss left over in it I guess.

Thanks for the response and I hope there are others out there to help keep my blood pressure up.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
The only thing I fear is the Camaro is going to lose some of the rawness that I found so appealing in the 3rd and 4th generation cars. This new refinement is what I dislike so much about my GTO - it doesn't feel aggressive.

I am thinking more and more than my 5th gen will end up being more of a driver and another 4th gen will find its way to my driveway to be the "scary" one. Of course, I hope I'm proven wrong.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just brought another into the family. My girlfreinds son wanted me to look at a car with him. A 91 305 RS. It's a s&*t box but the body is not that bad & it runs & drives great. It's kind of a right of passage for a young boy to have a Camaro. Whether you get the new one or an older one I know you will love it.

Now, will your freind have to involve the police to pry you out of his.

·
Registered
5 Posts
While I have never driven a 5th gen I did drive a fourth gen for the first time April of 07. It was a 96 TA with a 6 speed. I darn near peed my self. I could not get over the power and handling. I bought the car and later found a 97 TA with only 19,000 miles on it and bought that one as well. I have since sold the 96 but still have the 97. The 97 has a lot of upgrades but still very drivable. I have toyed with the idea of selling the 97 but every time I drive it I decide to keep it. I can't imagine what the 5th gen will be like.

·
Capt Bob-Supporting Membr
367 Posts
Before I could drive, my older friends had Mustangs. My dad was an Oldsmobile/ GM guy. So 6 months after I started driving I was off on a 67 Firebird hunt when I found my RS/SS. My dad wasn't keen on a car with the starter motor on the "wrong" side, but at least it was a GM. After I let my friends drive my car, 2 of them got rid of their mustangs for a Camaro and a Chevelle, they couldn't believe the handling difference and the roadfeel connection.

That was 1979 and we were in cars over 10 years old. So I'm not really surprised by your surprise, what surprises me is WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG? And if you were unimpressed by your stop light test, try it against a stock LS1stick car.

My 68 was my only car for 20 years until an old guy creamed me. While I hate the guy for hitting me, if he hadn't I wouldn't have owned my 3rd gen or my Blackbird. It took me a month to get in my 4th gen and not be afraid of it. But the excitement never goes away.

Glad to hear you were impressed, I would have been disappointed if you weren't.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
I darn near peed my self.

I hope the 5th gen has that effect....just may want to consider leather seats though.;)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just brought another into the family. My girlfreinds son wanted me to look at a car with him. A 91 305 RS. It's a s&*t box but the body is not that bad & it runs & drives great. It's kind of a right of passage for a young boy to have a Camaro. Whether you get the new one or an older one I know you will love it.

Now, will your freind have to involve the police to pry you out of his.
If not the police at least a large stick!:lol:

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Before I could drive, my older friends had Mustangs. My dad was an Oldsmobile/ GM guy. So 6 months after I started driving I was off on a 67 Firebird hunt when I found my RS/SS. My dad wasn't keen on a car with the starter motor on the "wrong" side, but at least it was a GM. After I let my friends drive my car, 2 of them got rid of their mustangs for a Camaro and a Chevelle, they couldn't believe the handling difference and the roadfeel connection.

That was 1979 and we were in cars over 10 years old. So I'm not really surprised by your surprise, what surprises me is WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG? And if you were unimpressed by your stop light test, try it against a stock LS1stick car.

My 68 was my only car for 20 years until an old guy creamed me. While I hate the guy for hitting me, if he hadn't I wouldn't have owned my 3rd gen or my Blackbird. It took me a month to get in my 4th gen and not be afraid of it. But the excitement never goes away.

Glad to hear you were impressed, I would have been disappointed if you weren't.

I am really wondering what took so long myself.:BangHead:

The car is a 6 speed, when I beat hin at the light he got all excited and went up in tire smoke:rolleyes::lol:, but hey a win is a win.:hello:

I have no doubt that if he would have hooked up I would have looked silly trying to chase him down:patriot:

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a '98 SS 6-speed that I've had since new and I've also driven a couple of the 5th Gen cars - the V6 manual and the V8 automatic.
My '98 does a great Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde imitation as a car that works equally well on a road course or going to the corner to pick up a jug of milk. Every time I fire up the car and take off, it still puts a smile on my face... even after 10 years. It's the only car I've ever owned (and I've owned cars for the last 40 years) that the longer I have it, the more I enjoy and appreciate it. Every other car I've owned, I've grown tired of over a period of time.
As has been mentioned, the 5th Gen car is a completely different animal. In my opinion, some of the rawness has definitely been engineered out of the mainstream cars, but don't be surprised if enthusiasts might be able to inject some of that rawness back into the car by checking off a couple of appropriate boxes on the order form, or carefully scrutinizing a GMPP catalogue.
The new car is certainly more refined and sophisticated - which it needs to be in order to sell in the numbers needed to ensure its success. The cars we drove in May were simply a joy to experience and drive... and the good news is that the cars were not quite finished! Final suspension settings, exhaust sound etc. were still being worked on...
I think that GM and Chevrolet has done an exceptional job in bringing this car to market in a few different versions, with enough potential to personalize it in order that it can appeal to as many potential customers as possible.
I'm not giving up my 4th Gen car and I'm very excited about parking a 5th Gen car in the garage beside the '98.
Less than a couple of weeks now until the cards will be on the table for all to see!

Best regardSS,

Elie

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Every time I fire up the car and take off, it still puts a smile on my face... even after 10 years. It's the only car I've ever owned (and I've owned cars for the last 40 years) that the longer I have it, the more I enjoy and appreciate it.

Elie
that's exactly what I'm hoping for in the 5th gen.:D

·
Registered
275 Posts
The only thing I fear is the Camaro is going to lose some of the rawness that I found so appealing in the 3rd and 4th generation cars. This new refinement is what I dislike so much about my GTO - it doesn't feel aggressive.
I absolutely agree. I went from an '84 Z28 to an '04 GTO, and while the GTO was waaaay faster (and it was a 6-speed), it was just too easy. There were no squeaky rattling body panels, it was always responsive, and the seats were the most comfortable seats on the planet. All in all, a fabulously refined car... just not my style :)

I'll always prefer something that feels as though its mere seconds away from being out of control :roxor:

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
I absolutely agree. I went from an '84 Z28 to an '04 GTO, and while the GTO was waaaay faster (and it was a 6-speed), it was just too easy. There were no squeaky rattling body panels, it was always responsive, and the seats were the most comfortable seats on the planet. All in all, a fabulously refined car... just not my style :)

I'll always prefer something that feels as though its mere seconds away from being out of control :roxor:
so your GTO was just too nice?;)

just not close enough to the edge...nothing a procharger and disabled traction control can't fix.:D;)

·
Registered
275 Posts
so your GTO was just too nice?;)

just not close enough to the edge...nothing a procharger and disabled traction control can't fix.:D;)
After throwing down all that money for a practically new car (only 3,500 miles on it), I expected imperfect perfection right out of the box! Those Aussies are just TOO GOOD.

You have given me step 1 on my 5th gen Camaro to do list ... Destroy traction control! :D

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
It'll still ride like a Cadillac!

OK, you could go un-refined-old-school...air shocks on the back with a set of 15" crager SS rims and chop off the exhust and go with a pair of glass-packs.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
OK, you could go un-refined-old-school...air shocks on the back with a set of 15" crager SS rims and chop off the exhust and go with a pair of glass-packs.
Yeah, that's more like it! Just have to make sure the rims are the entirely wrong offset and sticking wayyyy out. I'm sure there is a way to weld in some lift bars for the visual effect :rotflmao:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts