Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im having a baby this August and i want to make my car more useable....ive had it 3 years and only 7500 miles.......the main issue that me and my wife noticed was on our way to BBOMG last year. It was very loud in 6th gear around 70-75mph. Im wanting to tone the drone and noise down. I bought some dynamat like material and lined my trunk to absorb sound, but it didnt work as much as i need it to.

My current setup is Borla Long tube headers with Borla S type catback....no cats...and a comp cam that gives it a great sound and power.

i want to tone down the sound without getting rid of the cam or catback.....i can part with the longtubes for shorties if needed, but is there a better way? will adding cats help that much?

ive thought about deadening the sound as much as possible even if it means restricting a bit of power , and then install electric cutouts for race days.

any KNOWLEDGEABLE help is appreciated.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just talked to Chris at Borla. He gave me a few options.

1- add catts after the headers
2- add 2 more mufflers
3- swap out the rear section for the touring section

option 3 is sounding to be the easiest and possibly the cheapest. He told me the touring will really tone down the car a bit compared to the S type. i love the sound of the S type...i just want it a bit more calm for highway use.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
starting to see how you got to 4600 posts..............

Reactions: CamaroSSMan

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I have the Borla Sport.. but that is all, just the new mufflers and I get the same drone at the higher 70-75.. I have thought about stripping the trunk of everything and using the spray dynomat on the entire thing. If I can get to it soon I will let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry nick I'll not post on your threads at all any more...
Sorry. I'm just looking for useful information and I don't have time for the non informative, smiley run off screen, post. It just doesn't help.... At all

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope the touring mufflers help. I'll have to talk to some guys that have it. The s type is the most aggressive they make. Anything under that should help.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Just add some hi flow cats. They really quiet it down and won't hurt your performance. We've done it on our Formula before (to get a brake tag lollz) and it worked great. :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
My understanding is that J-Pipes can help (and maybe even eliminate) drone.

My 3 year old can sleep through anything. The trick is (and he's been an awesome sleeper since he was 4-6 weeks old) is to not tip-toe around him when he's sleeping - ever. I used to play my xbox360 at full blast with him sleeping on my chest. My wife could even vacuum. I hope you have a similar sleeper in your future. I really hope you're blessed with a kid as awesome as I have :)

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't worry. The drone will put the little one to sleep!
and give me and my wife the worse headache ever....

·
2,774 Posts
FUnny thing is when we would go to car shows with the GXP we had the cutout open..would put my son to sleep.. get cutouts for the fun and get something more quiet..

but who knows..hes awake when its capped..go figure.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
See driving short distances isn't a big deal. It's long highway travel that irritates me. I'm not wanting it so much for the baby as I am just to make it more usable. I love the sound through the city but it's when I have to drive any more than an hour that gets me .......and my wife

·
Registered
158 Posts
Should have used the real dynamat extreme I have it all over my show truck and it has a 383 with headers to x pipe to single chamber flowmasters dumped behind the cab. And you actually hear yourself think or conversate...... And phatmat is a waste of time and money....

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
who said i used "phatmat"?
the issue isnt the insulation. its the drone from the exhaust. theres an issue with the exhaust that needs to be addressed. all the dynamat in the world wouldnt fix the drone issue that still exist.

·
Registered
115 Posts
High flow Cats will help a lot.

Buy some slash cut tips and move them out as far as you can. If you can't find any PM me and I will find some.

·
Registered
158 Posts
who said i used "phatmat"?
the issue isnt the insulation. its the drone from the exhaust. theres an issue with the exhaust that needs to be addressed. all the dynamat in the world wouldnt fix the drone issue that still exist.
Was stating phat mat is a waste of money.......cats....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts