Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:lol::lol::)Yes I have gone and done it. I dropped my 1971 Z/28 off at our local Foose style shop yesterday. We are starting on the restoration and High tech upgrade. I thought it would be December, but it was yesterday. I have to tell someone.....

Here is what I am redoing.....

Entire Exhaust system.....

New close ratio power steering...

Complete chassis rebuild with high tech A-arms, braces and rubber. All new subframe connectors......Sway Bars,springs and shocks.....

Four wheel discs and all new brake lines and Master cylinder...Willwoods or Baer.....

Rebuilding the rear end and M-21...New Clutch and U-joints..

All New MSD.Distributor and Box with rev control. New pulley set up . All new engine and trans mounts...

New, Carpet and Dynomat.New steering wheel and Corbeau seats..

Gas tank sock and all fuel lines replaced...

And yes , Jason Rushforth Gloss Black Super Spokes 18' with BFG KDW super sticky.....

I drove it over their sick and in need of a lot of work...

It is going to come out of the shop looking so sweet and handling like a race car.....

Thanks for listening. my wife is tired of hearing about it...

:)

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Camaro freak....

Saw my first Z/28 back in 1971.....

Got my first camaro back in 1976...

Got this 1971 Z/28 back in 1983...

Yes the memories. Mine are attached to this car.

So goes the restoration...

My wife wants me to buy new...Maybe someday...

Would love to have both side by side in the garage.

One thing at a time...ZL-1 dreams....

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Obxbill and camaro freak,

You bet. I will take pictures soon.

Oh and by the way, I am staying with the order of the black.

I found some Jason Rushforth Gloss black 18" whiplash wheels that I am buying. In his gallery , he has a 69 Camaro , black with white stripes and the Black wheels are sooo sweet....

You will see them soon. Thanks for the Camaro love..It should turn out quite nice..

I will be able to check off, "restore Z/28", off my Bucket List....

Instead of starting in December, it will be done by then....

Then, on a cool crisp California morning.....When extra horsepower is made by the cool induction...I will be spanking the Z/28 just like it should be....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Congrats man, ALWAYS good to hear about someone starting a major product. Im sure its going to turn out great. like obxbill said above, some in progress pics would be awesome! and the finished product even better!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks everyone.

I will for sure post some pictures soon.

The work starts in a few weeks.

I will take some pictures as we go.

Again,thanks for the love..I have been a camaro guy since 1971....That is a very ,very, long time...

All the pictures of your cars make me jones for a daily driver......2011 daily driver.....The New Camaros you drive are really nice....

One thing at a time...

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Envy.....

Too funny..

I am ok until I come onto this website and I see all the beautiful 5th Generation Camaro's.

The stance of your car and the lines of the 69 Camaro, in the design, are great.

But I cannot wait to autocross my 2nd gen after the rebuild.

Thanks for the Camaro love.

I made sure that the wife's dreams and wishes were satisfied before I started this rebuild. She is totally cool with it and knows how much I will be spending.

The only thing I screwed up on , is buying some of the most beautiful rims you have ever seen. This has caused a rim war..The next time she wants wheels , I set the bar so high,it is going to cost me bigtime.....Oh well..

You know I will keep you posted. And who knows, the wife may go Camaro Next year but I really think she will go Nissan again. Her choice.

I will get her to test drive a newer Camaro, but I think that it is a long shot.

That is ok. I will have my 2nd gen to keep me busy.

·
Support MC & Troops
11,799 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Hot Rod.

Looking up parts prices and trying to put it all together.

I will have pictures next week from the shop.

EastBay Muscle Cars in northern California is doing the work.

They turn out some wild rides.

And so it begins.

As with back in 1985 when I rebuilt her the first time, I will have every confidence in dropping the clutch and doing a three gear forward power slide, let alone the handling and the braking that should just blow my mind.

Some power add ons to give me more HP...Ignition,New Exhaust, electric fan, pulley set up....For sure at 400 HP plus......That outta do for now.

We will see..........

This Christmas should prove to be very exicting.......

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
Wow, that's quite a lot of work. It sounds like there won't be much '71 left when it's finished.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Patriot...

Ah yes, but the numbers matching 350 LT-1 and M-21 and 3.73 Rear end will be as from the factory. Numbers matching with the build sheet.

Sure the motor is pumped up , but it is the factory engine.

The engine is strong but the other parts were 1971...Just had to go High tech.

If it was not a Z/28,the engine would be new gen too.....

A long list and a lot of money Patriot, but I am only going around once in life, and it is more than half over already.......

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
Patriot...

Ah yes, but the numbers matching 350 LT-1 and M-21 and 3.73 Rear end will be as from the factory. Numbers matching with the build sheet.

Sure the motor is pumped up , but it is the factory engine.

The engine is strong but the other parts were 1971...Just had to go High tech.

If it was not a Z/28,the engine would be new gen too.....

A long list and a lot of money Patriot, but I am only going around once in life, and it is more than half over already.......
No worries, just commenting on the amount of work.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Patriotpa.

I did not mean to sound defensive. I just did not want Camaro lovers to think that I would butcher the real thing.

If it was just a Camaro,we would be going with a new tech engine and trans... Just can't do it.

It is a lot of work , but it is time for new life for the old car.

Wish me luck. My wife is trading in her 350Z for something in the next several months. Of course i will get her to test drive a New Black SS,(power and Black paint are her weakness), I think she may buy another Nissan.

Wish me luck on that one. Could you imagine a 2011SS next to a 1971 Z/28 in the garage.

I can, but that is a long shot

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
I hope she get a GM. Either a Camaro SS, a Caddy or a 'Vette. Those are my favorites.

Here's some ammo for you:
...how many OLD Nissans do you see on the road? Very few......there's a reason.
GT-R Owner Busts Tranny Using Launch Control, Nissan Claims Issue Not Covered Under Warranty

Nissan Recall Information
Last Updated September, 2011

AUGUST 2011 -- Nissan is recalling certain model year 2012 Nissan Altima vehicles manufactured from June 15, 2011, through June 21, 2011 and model year 2012 Nissan NV vehicles manufactured from June 23, 2011, through June 28, 2011 because the air bag control unit (ACU) was assembled incorrectly. The affected ACU will not operate as designed and this issue may cause the air bags not to inflate in a crash when they are designed to inflate. This could increase the risk of injury. Nissan will replace the air bag control unit free of charge. The safety recall began on August 22, 2011. 11V-408

JULY 2011 -- Nissan is recalling certain model year 2011-2012 Nissan Altima sedan vehicles manufactured from April 25, 2011, through June 10, 2011, at the Canton, Mississippi plant. The transverse link bolt may not have been torqued to the proper specification. This condition could cause the bolt to become loose while the vehicle is being driven, creating a rattling noise and vibration. If the bolt comes out completely, the driver may experience difficulty controlling the direction of the vehicle which could result in a crash. Nissan will replace the transverse link bolts and nuts and tighten them to the proper torque specification free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin on or before August 1, 2011. 11V-371

http://economicsnewspaper.com/policy/german/nissan-calls-back-almost-200-000-cars-for-rust-18212.html
Nissan - Corrosion Defects Leading to Crashes - Randy Barnhart - Trusted Trial Lawyer

Nissan 350Z Recall Information
Last Updated July 18, 2011

FREE Case Evaluation! Toll Free: 1.888.453.6667
Need Assistance?
We're here to help

Toll Free

NEWS: Nissan recalls vehicles over air bag concerns

WASHINGTON -- (AP) -- October 15, 2008 -- Nissan Motor Co. said Wednesday it was recalling more than 200,000 vehicles in the U.S. and overseas to fix a sensor system that could affect the car's passenger side air bag.

Nissan said the recall includes 140,000 Nissan Altima cars from the 2007-2008 model years. It also involves 2007-2008 model years of the Infiniti EX35, G35 Sedan, G37 and the Nissan 350Z, Murano and Rogue.

Nissan spokesman Colin Price said there have been no injuries or crashes, and the company discovered the problem during internal testing. Most of the recalled vehicles are in the United States; others are in Mexico, Canada, Puerto Rico and the Persian Gulf.

Nissan said the recall affects vehicles equipped with Continental Automotive Systems' Occupant Classification System control units. An electronic component in the control unit located in the passenger seat cushion may have been made out of specification.

The Japanese automaker said that could interrupt a signal in the sensor system and prevent the passenger air bag from deploying under certain conditions.

The recall is expected to begin in early November

OCTOBER 2008 -- Nissan is recalling 204,361 MY 2007-2008 Altima, Altima Coupe, 350Z, Murano, Rogue; and Infiniti G35 Sedan, G37 Coupe and EX35 passenger vehicles equipped with Continental Automotive Systems’ occupant classification system (OCS) control units. A varistor in the OCS control unit located in the passenger seat cushion may have been manufactured out of specification. Under certain conditions, this could cause an interruption of signal between the OCS and the air bag control unit (ACU). This could result in the passenger air bag being suppressed which could fail to provide adequate protection in the event of a crash. Dealers will test the signal between the OCS and ACU systems using a special tool to check that it is functioning as designed. If necessary, the seat cushion (containing OCS hardware) will be replaced with a new one manufactured to specification. The recall is expected to begin during November 3, 2008. 08V521

Nissan Recalls -

That should get you started..... :D

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
double tap. oops!

1 - 20 of 129 Posts