Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toyota Hybrid Buyers No Longer Able to Qualify for Tax Credit Designed to Encourage Sales

Buyers of Toyota Motor Corp. hybrid gasoline-electric cars who are looking for a break on their income taxes are now out of luck.

The Internal Revenue Service said Thursday that only Toyota and Lexus hybrids purchased before Oct. 1 are eligible for a tax credit intended to encourage sales of the fuel-efficient cars, because the company has hit a legal cap on the credit.

Tax credits of up to $3,000 are still available for hybrids made by Ford Motor Co., General Motors Corp., Honda Motor Co. and Nissan Motor Co.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071108/hybrid_tax_credits_toyota.html?.v=1

Awwwww, too bad for poor Toyota. :(

:lol:

·
Registered
637 Posts
Our government never should encourge people to buy foreign cars. ever.

·
8,984 Posts
X200

·
I paid $5 for this title!
645 Posts
Our government never should encourge people to buy foreign cars. ever.
But should instead promote lung cancer and melting ice? BS.

If American government, however, wants to encourage people to be more environment-friendly by specifically buying American vehicles that are genuinely environmentally-friendly, I'm all up for it.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
8,984 Posts

·
I paid $5 for this title!
645 Posts
There are more environmentally friendly domestic cars than imports right now.
That's cool, let's promote those, now. I don't know of any, meaning those domestics have failed at convincing me that they even exist. I'm fully aware, however, of the Prius, Camry Hybrid, Civic Hybrid, and Accord Hybrid. Needz moar marketingz!

And I don't believe cars are responsible for the global warming. The earth goes through weather cycles. In the middle ages it was hotter than it was now..we are just coming out of a cold spell.
The cars aren't responsible, but they're certainly not helping. If you don't like global warming, maybe our ridiculous dependence on foreign oil is a motivator to be less gas-guzzling as a nation? (And I'm really eager to hear how you know for sure the Earth was hotter in the middle ages, but let's not pollute the thread any longer.)

Anyway, I'm not participating in a political thread unless it's designated as one. ;) And even then I probably wouldn't, as I'm willing to guess I'll disagree with an overwhelming majority of others around here, and there's no point in forum politics anyway.

On topic this time, I'm annoyed the tax credit expired. From the little I know about it, it would only be truly effective if it were larger and if (or when) more car manufacturers came out with genuinely desirable hybrids. Of the current offerings I wouldn't pay for any.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
The US isn't the only country with oil-burning products. China's demand is sky-rocketting every day. :p

Domestic Hybrids: Malibu Hybrid..Ford Escape Hybrid..Saturn Aura Hybrid..Saturn Vue Hybrid..Chevy Tahoe Hybrid(early 08)..do I need to continue? :p

Not to mention..before the new Silverados came in there was a Silverado Hybrid.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
637 Posts
But should instead promote lung cancer and melting ice? BS.

If American government, however, wants to encourage people to be more environment-friendly by specifically buying American vehicles that are genuinely environmentally-friendly, I'm all up for it.
Our government should be using my tax dollars for other things not tax credit on buying a **** car. Cars are luxury items that alot of people depend on daily, we could all ride a bike or the bus or hell even walk (gasp).

The government should govern thats it. Period. All entitlement programs should be canceled. That would be a perfect government. And requires a perfect population. Not going to happen so.........Tax money should be for police, fire protection, social projects, humanitarian projects, self defense, projects............and other such things that are for the bettermment of the population at large not the few who are able to buy a new car that year.

How is not promoting a foreign car equal to promoting lung cancer or global warming? Is the Prius created in a vacuum? Whats going to happen to those batteries when the car is junked? That is not enviornmentally friendly at all and niether is the manufacturing of the car or the batteries. Its not nearly as eco friendly as it seems. It the **** car is doing over 40mph (not sure of exact speed here) its using gasoline anyway.

There should be a new maxim for our country, instead of just the saeparation of church and state there should also be the separation of buisness and state. Government sucks at doing buisness and buisness sucks at governing.

This reply is not trying to just pick a fight with Altoid, just one Americans opinion.

·
8,984 Posts
Our government should promote our citizens, LEGAL citizens and the American OWNED real companies and their products.

dshane has a very good point from his point of view.

I do not agree with most of your leftist opinions, but it at least makes me think.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
It's going to be alot harder for someone to justify buying a hybrid without the tax credit. If you think about it and add up the gas you would spend in a 25mpg car vs a 50 mpg car It really is not that much. expecially when you consider the added cost of the hybrid. I think the part that really gets you with gas prices is the price of goods. I think that is more of a concern to me that the mpg that my car gets.
Also like someone said what about when its time to retire the batteries and what about building the batteries?
I am all for new technology though, but I don't know whether switching to batteries is the real solution to a better envoroment.
I myself don't believe in global warming being caused by humans.
So lets say that it is not caused by humans and is just a natural cycle of the earth. That I believe would put batteries doing more enviromental harm than gas engines. I do however believe that in large cities emissions can cause problems with stagnant air and make a bad city enviroment. For that reason I think a mixture of all kinds of propultion systems are needed.
Also for plug in cars. Its the same deal with the batteries. For power, that has to come from somewhere and someone has to pay for it. How much would it cost to power your car via your homes electricity? Can the current system handle a lot of plugins? Is the electricity being produced more eviro freindly than just using gas?

My current car averages 25mpg. If I drove that car 1000 miles a month that would be:
$120 a [email protected]$3 per gallon
$160 a [email protected]$4 per gallon
$200 a [email protected]$5 per gallon

My current electric bill is $175-$250 a month.
Would a plug in power my car for 1000 miles for lower than $160 a month?

If a hybrid gets 50mpg. I would save:
$60 a [email protected]$3 per gallon
$80 a [email protected]$4 per gallon
$100 a [email protected]$5 per gallon

Is it really worth the savings over 5 years?
If it cost $5000 extra that is $100 a month over 5 years @ 6% intrest
If it cost $2500 extra that is $50 a month over 5 years @ 6% intrest

So lets say this car cost $2500 extra over a non hybrid of the same car and it gets 50mpg and my current car gets 25mpg.

How much do I save a month over 5 years @6%?

$10 a [email protected]$3 per gallon
$30 a [email protected]$4 per gallon
$50 a [email protected]$5 per gallon

So lets say this car cost $5000 extra over a non hybrid of the same car and it gets 50mpg and my current car gets 25mpg.

How much do I save a month over 5 years @6%?

-$60 a [email protected]$3 per gallon
-$20 a [email protected]$4 per gallon
$0 a [email protected]$5 per gallon

That is a loss;)

I think the real key is to invest in light weight parts, alternative fuels, and more fuel efficient drivetrains.

I could probley take that $2500 and use it to put light wieght parts and a mpg tune in the car and do about as good as the hybrid. I think the OEM should be able to do even better with lower priced parts.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
BTW, talking about oil...I just read earlier that Brazil has found a HUUUUUUUUGE oil field off shore..that will increase Brazil's Light-crude production by 40%. Taking it from #17 on the world oil producer's list..to somewhere in the Top 10. http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/americas/11/08/brazil.oil.ap/index.html

And even biofuel is causing greenhouse gases, in a way. Companies are destroying tons of peat land to plant oil palm trees. Destroying the land causes more greenhouse gasses than even the plantes trees can overcome..not to mention only a VERY, VERY small amount of land that has been cleared has had trees planted on it.
http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/11/08/greenpeace.palmoil/index.html
Hell, several countries still use leaded gasoline.

Keep in mind, just because we're the USA, doesn't mean we're the bad guys and everyone else are a bunch of angels. :x

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.