1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,900 Posts

Toyota is recalling 3.8 million Toyotas and Lexuses because floor mats could make the accelerator stick, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has announced.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2009/09/toyota-recalling-38m-vehicles-accelerator-may-stick.html

LOL @ Japanese quality.
Or so Toyota CLAIMS, I've read some of the Priuses had spontaneously accelerated at times and when owners complained, Toyota suggested the floor mat must have got stuck under the accelerator pedal (i.e. it was driver error/ignorance). Who knows what the real problem is/was, but a recall of that magnitude still looks like egg on their face.

·
Registered
101 Posts
this sucks i just bought my wife a 07 Camry and the dang thing is part of the recall list. I wonder if i will have to do anything about it.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
can't even engineer a floor mat correctly. :lol:

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
This can happen in any vehicle. If the floormats are not secured, they can slide up and cause the pedal to stick.

I would give kudos to Toyota for actually taking some initiative to fix it, but from the article, it seems all they are doing is telling people to pull the mats. The newer GM vehicles have a hook in the rear of the mats (at least my fiance's G6 does) so that the mat does not move.

A lifetime ago, I delivered auto parts in a Ranger. This was a gutless 2.5, and it was always to the floor. One day the pedal did not come back up because the mat caught it. I popped it into neutral and turned it off so I could coast to the side of the road. It was alarming.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts