1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.autonews.com/article/20080530/COPY01/519461363/1186

Automotive News
May 30, 2008 - 7:07 am ET

TOKYO (Thomson Financial) -- Japan's Toyota is in talks with General Motors about producing the hybrid Prius at their joint production venture in California, a newspaper today.

If they reach an agreement, it would be the first time that the Prius -- the world's first mass-produced gasoline-electric hybrid vehicle -- is made in the United States, the Tokyo Shimbun said, without naming sources.

Toyota may produce Prius cars at New United Motor Manufacturing Inc. (NUMMI), a venture established by the two groups in 1984 that currently makes Toyota Corolla, Toyota Tacoma, Toyota Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe vehicles, it said.

The Japanese company plans to ship key components from Japan and assemble them at the venture in Fremont, Calif., where demand for environmentally friendly cars is high, the newspaper said.

A Toyota spokesman in Tokyo declined to comment on the report, saying: "As usual, we don't comment on the details of negotiations, but nothing has been decided yet on the reported NUMMI case."

Toyota aims to sell at least 1 million hybrid vehicles a year from the early 2010s. It currently produces the Prius in Japan and China.

The automaker said this month sales of the Prius had topped one million vehicles since the launch in Japan in 1997, followed by North America, Europe and elsewhere in 2000.

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
Only way I see this happening is if GM got a version of the car.
(Like the Pontiac Vibe already built there which is a re-bodied Toyota Matrix.)

But with the mild hybrids and two-mode hybrids already in GM's line-up, and new hybrids and the Chevy Volt on the horizon, I don't see that being a need.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The only reason toyota would want this is for their own benefit, not GM's. GM won't get a version of the car, nor do I think they want one considering what GM has coming out in the near future...(Volt). So, toyota, nice freakin' try. Now do us all a favor and rot in hell.:patriot:

·
Premium Member
2,774 Posts
exaclty..is this not supposed to be a joint venture plant..when is 3-1 autos a joint venture? sounds like to me Toyota runs the plant..

·
Registered
544 Posts
Why can't the auto manufacturers stay their own separate ways? Why does there really need to be any joint ventures and partnerships to share information? Each auto manufacturer has its own technology that it's developing. It would be nice to see who can come out on top without any help from another auto maker.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
Why can't the auto manufacturers stay their own separate ways? Why does there really need to be any joint ventures and partnerships to share information? Each auto manufacturer has its own technology that it's developing. It would be nice to see who can come out on top without any help from another auto maker.
Unfortunately, that's not the reality of business.

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Camrys are made the US...

Kentucky to be exact...

and the Camaro will be made in Canada, the 51st state of the US.

And according to economists, all final products produced in the US are considered in the US's GDP.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Someone pays the American workers assembling Toyotas here, right? No one works for free.

Edit: Cough, I was wrong, guess who owns the Indiana plant assembling Camrys... :(

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Made in the US ?????????

Ok keep this in mind I work for a Aeronautics program that Builds fighter jets such as The F16, F22 , And now the future advanced fighter which is replacing the F16 the F35 Lightning .

The F16 used to be an all in house thing from making the Bulkheads and canopy all the way down the line to final assembly and into the sky.
100% built and put together right here in Ft worth Texas !!!!!!!
Now we have parts being built all over the world and sent to Us here in Texas so We can be put those parts on a Jet and then sent in the air.

So yes the jet is put together here but saying it is us made is a typo !!! turkey and mexico are not considered the us to me !!!!!!!

Dont even let me start on the out of house parts being made on the Harley Davidson !!!!!!!! Or American Iron horse which was made and put together right here as well is now made in Mexico and put together here.

Contracting stuff out is making money for some people but taking jobs from a lot of others. Not to mention cheap quality and it may not even work right the first time.

I can go on and on and on !!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.