Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious if anyone has been able to confirm true over-the-axle dual exhaust for the Camaro iteration of the Zeta platform?

I know there are some chassis shots of Zeta around, and the G8 on the streets, but I can't seem to find the info about true duals on the Camaro.

It would be sweet to finally have true dual exhaust here in Cali and not worry about the smog Nazis (Heads and cam are a whole different story:BangHead:)

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
If I am not mistaken it is a true dual under the axle setup though much like most IRS cars have.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I want to know (For a first post, kinda whining I guess), why they have those huge nasty trashcans down there for mufflers? I know it's gonna look a lot better about 30 minutes after I get it from the dealership, but what a terrible choice.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
I want to know (For a first post, kinda whining I guess), why they have those huge nasty trashcans down there for mufflers? I know it's gonna look a lot better about 30 minutes after I get it from the dealership, but what a terrible choice.
nothing is final yet...I wouldn't worry about it until a production version is unveiled.

·
Registered
199 Posts
do a bit more research b4 a post like this one..

You should know the Zeta platform is IRS which means Independent Rear Suspension. Therefore, it does not have an axel per se. You can surmise without an axel you cannot have - as you put it "true over the axel dual exhaust". No production cars that I know of come from the factory with "true" duals - meaning completely independent from one another. Like the mustangs they have a cross over tube to equalize the pressure from eash cylinder bank. They are call an H pipe or X pipe.

You can bet all V8s will come with this dual exhaust set up, which will run UNDER the rear differential. This forum has an under car picture of the G8s rear end. You will clearly see what it will look like. The V6 is another story. My guess is the V6 will have only one muffler and 1 pipe will share much of the exhaust system.

And what the hell does true dual exhaust have to do with emissions in cali?! stop smoking what's coming out of your tail pipes or what you're growing in your closet bro.. :screwy:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
do a bit more research b4 a post like this one..

You should know the Zeta platform is IRS which means Independent Rear Suspension. Therefore, it does not have an axel per se. You can surmise without an axel you cannot have - as you put it "true over the axel dual exhaust". No production cars that I know of come from the factory with "true" duals - meaning completely independent from one another. Like the mustangs they have a cross over tube to equalize the pressure from eash cylinder bank. They are call an H pipe or X pipe.

You can bet all V8s will come with this dual exhaust set up, which will run UNDER the rear differential. This forum has an under car picture of the G8s rear end. You will clearly see what it will look like. The V6 is another story. My guess is the V6 will have only one muffler and 1 pipe will share much of the exhaust system.

And what the hell does true dual exhaust have to do with emissions in cali?! stop smoking what's coming out of your tail pipes or what you're growing in your closet bro.. :screwy:
Learn how to spell before!:BangHead:

And if you currently have a Camaro (4th gen in my case) and live in California, you would know that changing the placement of the exhaust where it crosses the axle is ILLEGAL (we have smog checks every two years in this stae) and will impose HEFTY Federal and State fines if discovered.

In fact if you do a little research of your own, in California it is Illegal to modify your exhaust in anyway (technically, look it up) but in most cases a Cat-back exhaust would never bring the SMOG violation penalties that come along with modifying your car.

And those pictures of the G8 posted are not from the Camaro, although reasonable assumptions can be made because they share a similar chassis (shortened Zeta).

EDIT: The production Viper has true duals as well as (I am almost positive) the production Corvettes...

·
Registered
199 Posts
tell me how the Zeta can have over the axle exhaust?

and I dont live in Cali.. im in FL where they dont have emissions inspections. my first mod will be to take off the ENTIRE exhaust install long tubes, X pipe and magnaflow mufflers and tail pipes - no CATS. then a supercharger.

so enjoy your nazi cali camp.:lol:

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts

and I dont live in Cali.. im in FL where they dont have emissions inspections. my first mod will be to take off the ENTIRE exhaust install long tubes, X pipe and magnaflow mufflers and tail pipes - no CATS. then a supercharger.

so enjoy your nazi cali camp.:lol:

I salute you from Texas lol

We have started to get some of that smog stuff here as well but people know where to find the hook ups lol
I always seem to laugh because you dont hear many cars from other states like you do around here.
I guess we just love to hear POWER...... sounds like yall do as well lol.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Yes, I wouldn't live in "California" (in an Arnold voice) for 3 reasons.
1. They try to keep you from moding your car
2. The earthquakes
3. Too expensive.

But it is beautiful there. I have been to SoCal and in the LA area on a clear and sunny day you have to look straight up (pretty much) to see blue sky. There is soo much smog there that you cant see blue looking up at a 45 degree angle. Houston isnt like that very often cause we usually have a nice warm breeze that brings in about 118 % humidity in the summer :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Houston isnt like that very often cause we usually have a nice warm breeze that brings in about 118 % humidity in the summer :lol:

True then after that warm breeze makes it's way across houston and the rest of the State it colides with the Hot air that comes down from Kansas and MOBILEhoma and tortures us DFW Folks :rotflmao:
But atleast we still have the part to where we can modify our cars and etc !!!!!!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
still awaiting my answer from gun5...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Okay, we know, it can't have "Over the axle" exhaust. No need to push for an argument. But what I want to know is this.. Octane said yes to "true" duals. I define true duals as two individual pipes straight back off the headers, no crossover pipe (aka X or H), so, which is it?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts