Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my ck engine light came on for the exhaust. Only thing that was changed was the mufflers, nothing else. Car has 3183 miles on it and its dropped off at the dealership for tommorrow. Lets see what happens. Apparently its a Cat code. Lets see how this plays out...service guy said i should be fine and under the warranty..

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I picked up the car at the end of the day. The dealership found nothing wrong with the car. The light is reset. Lets see what happens. No questions about my flow masters or anything either. Hope it was a fluke..

·
Registered
383 Posts
I picked up the car at the end of the day. The dealership found nothing wrong with the car. The light is reset. Lets see what happens. No questions about my flow masters or anything either. Hope it was a fluke..
Hello Crewdogg15,

We are happy to hear this update that nothing was found wrong with your vehicle. It appears that it was just a reset issue but if anything should arise in the future, do let us know and we will help wherever possible.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
244 Posts
it must be a sensor

If it indicated it was a cat issue you know it had to be a O2 sensor. Just keep and eye on it and if it pops up again the Chevy dealership should replace it for free. They aren'y cheap so they will only replace when necessary.

Good luck....just took pocession of mine about a few weeks ago and so far I have about 400 miles.

Mail Clerk

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it indicated it was a cat issue you know it had to be a O2 sensor. Just keep and eye on it and if it pops up again the Chevy dealership should replace it for free. They aren'y cheap so they will only replace when necessary.

Good luck....just took pocession of mine about a few weeks ago and so far I have about 400 miles.

Mail Clerk
Very true, i heard they are around 500 for that tiny little part

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello Crewdogg15,

We are happy to hear this update that nothing was found wrong with your vehicle. It appears that it was just a reset issue but if anything should arise in the future, do let us know and we will help wherever possible.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
So yea, came on again. So my problem is that the service station is closed and my car ships tommorrow

·
Registered
244 Posts
Very true, i heard they are around 500 for that tiny little part
Crewdogg15,

Sensors are not guaranteed to work with the best efficiency. Most of the time they do very well but they can fail anytime.

When I had my 01' Dodge Durango I had to replace cat sensor around 25K and that's made by Bosch! In addition I also had to pay for it which cost me around $350 not including labor.:eek: After that I had no further issues with any more sensor in the truck.

Just keep and eye on it and if it occurs again you'll know it's ready to be replaced. Who knows GM may pay for the replacement.

Mail Clerk

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Crewdogg15,

Sensors are not guaranteed to work with the best efficiency. Most of the time they do very well but they can fail anytime.

When I had my 01' Dodge Durango I had to replace cat sensor around 25K and that's made by Bosch! In addition I also had to pay for it which cost me around $350 not including labor.:eek: After that I had no further issues with any more sensor in the truck.

Just keep and eye on it and if it occurs again you'll know it's ready to be replaced. Who knows GM may pay for the replacement.

Mail Clerk
They have to. I have 3200 miles on it and its a 13. Just frustrating. Dont know if im gonna have time to get it fixed before i leave to korea for a year

·
Registered
275 Posts
it sounds like there maybe nothing wrong with the sensors or the car but the mufflers are causing the code/light to trigger which can happen if you modify the exhaust.

Gm doesn't have to replace the sensor under warranty, if the sensor is bad which it may not be, they could claim that the exhaust mods caused the failure.

cars today are highly tuned and precise, when you change the exhaust you have to expect that the ECM may need custom tuning, and then custom tuning voids your warranty even further, which is why It's better not to mess with it in the first place.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Crew, go to Auto Zone or whichever parts store is close to you and get the code read...let me know which code is coming up and I will see if I can solve it for you. An entire cat-back should not cause a CEL, much less mufflers. GMPP mufflers are straight-thru mufflers and they go on fine without any tuning. And they don't trigger any CELs. If anything I would think that the mufflers were not installed correctly and the computer is sensing a leak. But I can't know for sure unless I know the code. And BTW, just a few more details. Did you have the mufflers installed? When were they installed? Did you or a shop do the install? Did you stick around to watch them install it? And if a shop did it, did they go anywhere near the front of the vehicle during the install?

And regardless, you should not have to pay for the sensor going bad. Considering that mufflers are not known for causing sensors to malfunction especially at 3,000 miles on a brand new car. It is true that a sensor can go bad at any time. But at this point you should not be stuck with the cost at all. If it helps, you should go back to the dealer, tell them you have to leave for a year, and politely ask them to replace the sensor. I'm sure they will be reasonable. If you wait a year, then they will probably give you a hard time about it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The vehicle is being shipped to you?

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
My car is being shipped to be stored while i am in Korea. So i really have no time to get it fixed. If the light goes out can they still troubleshoot it? I unhooked the battery and reset it that way because my car was supposed to be getting picked up tommorrow morning and i was gonna try it again. But i got a call and i got one more day until they pick it up

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im not worrying about paying, in worry about the fact have no time to get this resolved before its being shipped back home. The code was p0420

·
Bully Proof
7,086 Posts
I know you don't have any time but I just wanted to correct some misinformation here. I replaced an O2 sensor on my V6 (and 2 other V6s) and the sensor was just under $100 but you do need a special tool to extract it easily...but I just walked across the street to the repair shop and borrowed the tool from my mechanic friend so the entire job cost me less than $100.

I did the job myself because my dealership was not willing to replace the sensor under warranty even though the performance shop my dealership sent my car to said they should replace it under warranty. It was no surprise that the service department cited the exhaust upgrades that they installed prior to me taking possession of the car as the reason for not covering the sensor under warranty.

On a side note for informations sake...the new sensor threw a CEL pretty quickly too so the only thing that took care of the CEL problem in a permanent way was getting my car tuned.

Im not worrying about paying, in worry about the fact have no time to get this resolved before its being shipped back home. The code was p0420
That is the same code I was getting with my V6.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
That is your catalytic converter. But it could be other things causing the system to think your cat is malfunctioning...like a bad O2 sensor, a leak, bad or disconnected wires, something plugging your cat, etc. You have to go under there and look. First make sure your O2 sensors are all connected and screwed in tight. Then look and make sure the mufflers are not loose...check them at the connection sites to make sure they are tight and that you cannot move or rotate them. If all that checks out then start the car and listen for a leak. Carefully run your hand close to the connections to feel for air leaking out. DO NOT touch the pipes and do not run your hands too close to them so you do not get burned. If all that checks out then you will need to make sure the O2 sensors are functioning properly. I can't help with that because I'm no good when it comes to volt/amp testing or whatever...sorry. If your O2 sensors are indeed working properly then it is your cat and the dealership HAS to replace it. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. If you don't have time to address it then you will have to wait until you come back next year. But even then they will still be responsible for replacing the cat I'm pretty sure.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The dealership checked everything the first time and i guess the protocol was to return to service. Now this is #2.

My issue now is that i reset the light by disconnecting the battery (was supposed to get picked up today) but now its tommorrow. Im wondering if im wasting my time bringing it in this morning since the light is out?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
The dealership checked everything the first time and i guess the protocol was to return to service. Now this is #2.

My issue now is that i reset the light by disconnecting the battery (was supposed to get picked up today) but now its tommorrow. Im wondering if im wasting my time bringing it in this morning since the light is out?
You probably should have left the light on. On some cars tho, the computer can sense the problem and throw a code before it shows the CEL. I'm not sure if these cars do that tho. In any case at least you know what the problem is. And at least you know what to look for. I just don't like the fact that they told you nothing is wrong when there is a CEL saying that something IS wrong. If they tell you that line again then I suggest you show them the printout of the code and tell them that this is the second time.

·
Bully Proof
7,086 Posts
Disconnecting the battery will turn off the CEL but it will not clear the code...so the code will still be stored in your ECM. Your ECM is kinda like a computer's hard drive....just because you remove the power source doesn't mean you erased the information stored on it. But there's no sense in taking your car in to the dealership...because they will not have enough time to diagnose and fix the problem before tomorrow. You should go in and talk to your service tech...or at least call before you leave so they will know that the problem wasn't solved when they cleared the code.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Brought it back, nothing. They said they put their expert tech on it (im told there are only 500 in the US) and nothing. Car ships in the morning, dealership says no worries, i got a 85,000/8 year warranty on emissions. Either way, ill be covered bumper to bumber for 2 more years.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts