Modern Camaro Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a big fan of unions, and that's after being a union member for almost 15 years. I think they have become the new Robber Barons and will be the death of this country unless they are reined in. The pendulum has swung too far the other way now. Any way....

I made a comment on C5 about the driveline clunk that is common on our M6 cars. I think it's inexcusable it exists at all, and I posited that Union Engineers were responsible for it because they don't give a rat's a$$ about their work.

My post appears to have been deleted altogether, but I didn't receive any warnings or scoldings. Is Tran a Union Lover? Is it not permissible to have an opinion about anything that is contrary to the Rule of PC in this country now? It looks like the PC Brotherhood is running amok over there, you can't say anything "bad", truth or not, about certain protected classes. End of rant.

Just wanted to know if anyone else feels the union is responsible for the clunk. BTW, does the Mustang or Challenger have a clunk?

·
Registered
6 Posts
C5 is for those with their heads where the sun doesnt shine. The "Rogue Moderator" is some want to be power tripper who sits in his cubicle and wacks off as he violates every free speech liberty in this country by trashing those who tell the truth about any bad vendors or negative comments about GM.

As to whether the union engineers or GM engineers are responsible, i would say it is the bottom of the barrel GM engineers. But i agree with your assessment of unions in this country. When the last manufacturing job has left this country, all the obeast union bosses will be retired in Florida in million dollar condos drinking beer and smoking cigars. Hopefully they will croke.

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
This isn't C5. We graduated and left. Most union drones will rabidly defend their do-nothing jobs.
Leave and don't look back.

·
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep
4,638 Posts
"Im a union man and I only work 16 hour days"
"A union man works only 8 hour days"
"I belong to two unions"

If you can guess where that is from kudos to you

·
Registered
356 Posts
because it could be twisted as "political speech", it is probably not allowed. one day we will have an adult forum where people can speak their mind, while not attacking members personally. For example, I can say I would never vote for XXXX but i shouldn't call you an idiot if you do :)

·
See You On Course
3,867 Posts
because it could be twisted as "political speech", it is probably not allowed. one day we will have an adult forum where people can speak their mind, while not attacking members personally. For example, I can say I would never vote for XXXX but i shouldn't call you an idiot if you do :)
Hey, I voted for XXXX, careful what you say about him/her!

·
Support MC & Troops
11,799 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
I got banned for two weeks two months ago and haven't been back. I was banned for having the nerve to suggest that Obama's policies might be the cause of our high gas prices and that everyone should vote in November.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I don't go there too often, as there seems to be a whole subset of unwritten rules and policies in effect. I started out there, but it has not been very enjoyable on account of the unwritten rules.

The first and foremost unwritten rule is talking about other sites. What are you allowed to talk about and what are you not?

Unless you can read minds of moderators I haven't a clue. That all seemed to start with the "camarotracking.com" website.

·
Bully Proof
7,086 Posts
Hey, I voted for XXXX, careful what you say about him/her!
Hay I'll vote for XXX, as long as its legal :lol:
Hey...wait a minute...I've seen some disturbing photos of XXXX having YYYY with a BBBB in a hotel in Bangkok...so I wouldn't ever vote for that guy! [URL="
[/URL] LMAO

·
See You On Course
3,867 Posts
They explained that on Fox News, BBBB was choking on a piece of grilled dog, and XXXX was just giving her the Heimlich, and the angle of the photo through the swamp gas caused it to look like they were YYYYing....

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hey...wait a minute...I've seen some disturbing photos of XXXX having YYYY with a BBBB in a hotel in Bangkok...so I wouldn't ever vote for that guy! [URL="
[/URL] LMAO
Well thats rather sexist of you to think it was a guy.... :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well so much for the political aspects of my original post. But just for my edification does anyone think the driveline clunk can be reverse engineered out of our cars--maybe by a non-union engineer?

Really, why does only the Camaro have this irritating "feature"?

I personally think my clunk is from too much pinion backlash, but it could be a combination of several slacks in the driveline--the ring & pinion, driveshaft guibos, transmission shaft/gearsets out of tolerance, or ....?

What are your non-political thoughts on the clunk?

Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've had posts deleted on C5 as well...........and they were no where close to anything politcal. I agree its time for unions to go........or at least clean their act up. I also see it this way. If you dont like the car you are driving, you should have, a) never bought it, B) test drive it before you buy it, or C) sell it and get something better. That aside, most of the play in the driveline is the 2-piece drive shaft. It was the same compaint with the GTO's. The idea was to make a smoother drive. Not sure that worked out for them. A 1 piece drive shaft will eliminate a good portion of the clunk stuff.

·
Registered
356 Posts
When I bought my Z06 in 2008, after driving it off the lot, I was convinced there was something wrong with the tranny. It rattled and sounded like marbles rolling around in a coffee can. After a trip to the dealer, and research on Corvette forums, I came to accept the fact that it was as designed. Bottom line was that while I thought it sounded terrible, there was a reason for it. The consistent message seemed to be the tranny sounded that way because of how it was designed to handle the performance and abuse it would undergo, in the car it was installed in.

Personally I don't think the problem you are having has anything to do with whether or not the engineer is union or non-union. These types of decisions are not done in a vacuum and if it is not specific to your car, chances are more than one engineer has looked at it and determined it to be an unfortunate attribute that is the result of a more important design challenge. Also consider the fact that your issue may not be related to a design/engineering problem at all. It could the result of manufacturing issues with one or more components being out of tolerance. That would not necessarily be the engineer's fault, but rather manufacturing and quality control.

So while I am not a fan of unions, you shouldn't be so quick to blame a "union-engineer". In fact the problems you are experiencing could be caused by design and/or manufacturing of components by a supplier to GM. They may not necessarily be union.

So while I don't think you meant any harm, by setting the context of your question about union engineers, you may have inadvertently lowered the level of seriousness of your post.

And then Envy hijacked it...and it went downhill from there! :) But it was all in good humor so lets try not to take things so seriously....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.