Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Long story short gotta wait till Dec. for a tuner from the US that is coming down here to Panama to tune my L99.

It's getting Kooks LT, x pipe, catback and a CAI put on in about 2 weeks.

Wondering if I'm going to suffer any problems without the tune. It will be safe to drive I assume?

Thanks in advance.

Also how much hp should I expect to grab from these. Again wont have a dyno tune until Dec. so will be driving around for about a month without a tune. I'm hoping to grab about 30rwhp or so without the tune? Maybe more with it?

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
you'll be fine without a tune. the check engine light will probably come on but its no big deal. I would think the numbers you stated would be correct

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
you'll be fine without a tune. the check engine light will probably come on but its no big deal. I would think the numbers you stated would be correct
I would only agree with this statement IF he were changing one or the other. But BOTH intake (this is where tuning is more crucial) and exhaust could easily get him into lean territory...

@OP. What about doing a mail-order tune with Ted who uses the SCT handheld to upload tuning to your car? No waiting necessary other than your time to do the data-logging and him to build the tune. It would be a helluva lot faster and from what I've read dead nuts!

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
I would only agree with this statement IF he were changing one or the other. But BOTH intake (this is where tuning is more crucial) and exhaust could easily get him into lean territory...

@OP. What about doing a mail-order tune with Ted who uses the SCT handheld to upload tuning to your car? No waiting necessary other than your time to do the data-logging and him to build the tune. It would be a helluva lot faster and from what I've read dead nuts!
I agree, but a handheld cant really get it as exact as a live tune and then that isn't as good as a dyno tune of course. Either way any tune is better than none with those mods. If you resist the temptation to go wot until the tune, you'll be fine :)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I agree, but a handheld cant really get it as exact as a live tune and then that isn't as good as a dyno tune of course. Either way any tune is better than none with those mods. If you resist the temptation to go wot until the tune, you'll be fine :)
Ted uses data logging so I consider that a live tune. I still recommend a dyno tune if available. I just wanted to caution him on running around without a tune til then. If he can't restrain his right foot then he should at least get it tuned thru Ted and by the time his guy shows up all he will need to do on the dyno is verify/correct AFR....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts