Modern Camaro Forums banner

USB Drive

12K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  connors2929 
#1 ·
I did some searching here. Is it possible to load music directly on a USB Drive and play it through the audio system? Is there any aftermarket software that would make this possible? It sure would be convenient to just be able to plug in a large capacity USB drive and play your favorite tunes.:confused:

#2 ·
You can just copy your mp3 files onto a flash drive and plug it into the usb port. Not all drives work. It seams like you need a higher quality drive. I had one that would not work at all and one that woud not display the song titles. I bought a nice small 8 gig from Amazon for about $25 and it works fine.
The drawbacks are - it takes the radio 1 or 2 minutes to index your files everytime you power up the radio. And it will only do this if the radio is in auxilary mode. It would be nice if it had an internal HD. Maybe next year.

My favorite way to organize my songs is with each artist in their own folder. The radio lets you search and play by folder.

#3 ·
Outside of a flash drive I am not sure but doubt it. But so you know, there is a limit of 2500 songs that the can be indexed and displayed. So technically anything beyond 32GB (depending on rip bitrate) is gonna be a waste.

I am using a 32GB Sandisk Cruzr and have 2500 songs on it now (at very high bitrates) with room to spare...

#8 ·
Sandisk Cruzr

Outside of a flash drive I am not sure but doubt it. But so you know, there is a limit of 2500 songs that the can be indexed and displayed. So technically anything beyond 32GB (depending on rip bitrate) is gonna be a waste.

I am using a 32GB Sandisk Cruzr and have 2500 songs on it now (at very high bitrates) with room to spare...
I have a 8 Gig Sandisk Cruzr. Does the proprietary software cause any problems with the radio reading the files?

Thanx in advance.

#4 ·
This radio is the biggest fail I have seen in a car yet...aside from bluetooth streaming. Its like it was a half assed effort from the start.

#5 ·
I like mine.

#7 ·
I use an 8 gig thumb drive with all the tunes from my computer that I can pick, and the radio does index it only once. From that point on it will resume where it left off last time I turned the key on...even in the middle of the last song. I can pull the drive and add or delete, then it indexes again and all is well again. Love it.

#15 ·
I just plug my Backberry into the audio port. Works great.

#16 ·
I Just use a 8 GB Duracell and my Pantech Crux phone with a 4 GB mini
just change from on to the other.

#18 · (Edited)
I wish I could put Windows 10 Mobile on the radio and be done with it, I don't like the options on this radio. Connect to WiFi and Update Maps whenever I want that way and use actual navigation with it without a subscription lol.
I use the backup camera, Pandora, My cell phone, and the USB feature. That's it. I am at 2400 MP3's which is about 150 Artists albums on a 32 GB flash drive. Any more would be ridiculous. Honestly I'm 50 and I drive with the top down all of the time in my convertible. So I'm not sure why people think MP3 is not a clean enough format. The speaker system is awesome I hear no difference at all from other formats. They just eat up more space. The XM cuts from bad reception in NE Ohio, way too much for the price out so I killed the account. Pandora through Bluetooth works great and immediately recognize when I have the app open on my phone. I just wish I could remove XM from my sources.

~Chris
2013 Convertible ( I love this car )

#19 ·
Play music using bluetooth from your phone.
Use your phone for nav (bluetooth audio again)
That's why you have bluetooth.
"problem" solved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.