Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to be ordering a car tomorrow hopefully and of course at the last minute I cant decide on a V6 car or a V8.

I drove a V6 car and V8 and the 6 has more than enough power to be fun, but in my mind I have V6 kinda labeled as not as cool...

That being said, getting the better gas mileage and saving some $$ up front would be nice.

So, what would you do?

Im essentially looking at either ordering a 2LT or a 1SS. About 2k diff, but id get leather seats and all of those other goodies over the 1SS. a 2SS would be another 2200 on top of the 1SS.

so ugh, I dunno.

I need some feedback from other people banging there heads with the same dilemma.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Who cares how it's "labeled"...buy what's going to be best for you. If you think a V6 has more than enough power for you...and $$ is an issue, go with the V6. UNLESS...in your mind, at some point, you'll regret NOT buying a V8. You certainly don't want to not be happy with it 1 year from now.

Personally, if it were going to be my daily driver, I'd get the LT...it's a good motor and a nice price. If it's more of a weekend car, go w/ the SS.

·
Registered
59 Posts
When I bought mine there was no question that it was going to be the V8.

I figured if I was going to take the leap and buy a brand new car might as well get the model I know in the end I'd be most pleased with. Just depends on your pocketbook too.

You know one thing, the SS is going to give you the biggest grin factor when you mash the accelerator...:lol:

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
I used to always say go with a V8. GM has brought some very good powerplants to the platform.

Now the V6 for the Camaro has more than enough power for many people and there are already some upgrades to allow you to have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2LT and won't look back. It was either a 1SS or the the 2LT with all the creature comforts. I don't street race nor will it see the track.

In real world driving the LS3 is only about 1 second faster. I love my LLT. ;)

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
the difference isnt the same as it was with the 3rd gen cars. The 3rd gen v6s looked different and were about as fast as a turlte. The v6 5thgens have a lot of power and they look almost identical except for the mail slot. They should be faster than a 3rdgen v8 car. Its what fits your needs but the 6cyl cars are drool worthy this time around IMO I went with the V8 because the mpgs were good enough to be my DD. Good luck what ever you decide.

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
Im going to be ordering a car tomorrow hopefully and of course at the last minute I cant decide on a V6 car or a V8.

I drove a V6 car and V8 and the 6 has more than enough power to be fun, but in my mind I have V6 kinda labeled as not as cool...

That being said, getting the better gas mileage and saving some $$ up front would be nice.

So, what would you do?

Im essentially looking at either ordering a 2LT or a 1SS. About 2k diff, but id get leather seats and all of those other goodies over the 1SS. a 2SS would be another 2200 on top of the 1SS.

so ugh, I dunno.

I need some feedback from other people banging there heads with the same dilemma.
Really depends on WHY you want the car. If you want an economical car with great looks, the V6 might be for you. Otherwise, go with an SS :D

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
As said before, don't get the v6 wishing you had the v8. IMO, it sounds like the v6 would suite you best.

·
Registered
720 Posts
As said before, don't get the v6 wishing you had the v8. IMO, it sounds like the v6 would suite you best.
I agree...i have i 1LT and at car shows i get amazing props for the car, 300hp out of a v6 is great, the manual is so fun/smooth too, also this is my second v6 camaro, last one was an 02.....i have had 3 people so far come up to me and say why didnt u get the 8 cylinder?, and i said the 6 has 300hp, its i tiny bit lighter too, and it has plenty of room for turbo's and/or other addon's with plenty of room to spare. :faint:

·
Registered
180 Posts
well i went V8 because Im about pure speed..
my daily driver has 500HP..
but being the V6 camaro almost as fast as the mustang GT (100.5mph camaro v6 trap speed to the mustang gt's 103.5mph) it might be fast enough for most. If you are happy with that speed and u like leather seats go for the 2LT. If you get bored of the power they have and are coming out with more mods for the V6 engine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i personally ordered the 2lt because i wanted all of the good stuff that the 2lt has to offer over the power of a 1ss without all of the good stuff. the 2ss was out of my price range so that was ruled out quickly lol

·
Registered
180 Posts
i personally ordered the 2lt because i wanted all of the good stuff that the 2lt has to offer over the power of a 1ss without all of the good stuff. the 2ss was out of my price range so that was ruled out quickly lol
i must be only person that is simply. I don't like leather.. I hardly listen to my radio..
only got RS package for red SS badge and the halo's
I see so many 2SS not that many 1SS..

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I bought my 2LT from the showroom floor and have NO REGRETS!! I have close to 4,000 miles in just 4 weeks of ownership. Since I use it for work ever now and then (mostly now) I prefered having the V6. It is a BLAST at car shows, and everyone always asks if it is a V8.
Now that I have my MBRP catback, it sounds fantastic and am more happy than ever.

The V6 has impressive power on its own, and now I have more torque and the sound to go with it. You won't be unhappy with the V6, unless of course you need that extra 96-122 HP, higher fuel costs, and more $$$.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
I don't think this is something you should leave to us or even ask. It's your decision to make. Just think of the pros and cons and make your decision.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all of the replies.

My big thing is all along I wanted to spend roughly 30k or less on the car because its not going to be a daily driver. I may drive it close to every day in the summer, but once snow starts flying, it will be sitting on the garage.

That being said, if Im really looking at a 2LT at 29k, its not much difference in adding 3k to get the V8, but then you lose the leather and other goodies, but the leather isnt that big of a deal to me.

MPG isnt a huge factor, but the fact that the car gets 29mpg and has good HP and sounds good too is pretty sweet. The V6 car I drove was a fairly barebones 1LT with sun roof and 19" polished and it looked good. If it wasnt black I may have bought that because they said they would give me a good deal on it.

Anyway, there is a 1SS on the lot of another dealer almost exactly what I want, I think im going to see if they can swap cars with the other dealership and if they can i may just buy that instead of ordering... not sure if any dealers would do that though, but my dealer does have about 5 camaros on the lot.

That being said, if I was going to drive this thing every day, i would no doubt go with the LT, and i know myself pretty well that in a year i would be kicking myself for not getting the SS.

So... That being said, I guess a 1SS it is. A 2SS is only a few k more, but ill probably get the 1SS because i do kinda like the cloth seats.

PS, I have been on this site for awhile, just never posted but done lots of reading.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Who cares how it's "labeled"...buy what's going to be best for you. If you think a V6 has more than enough power for you...and $$ is an issue, go with the V6. UNLESS...in your mind, at some point, you'll regret NOT buying a V8. You certainly don't want to not be happy with it 1 year from now.

Personally, if it were going to be my daily driver, I'd get the LT...it's a good motor and a nice price. If it's more of a weekend car, go w/ the SS.

Well said. No matter which one you end up with..........It's a Camaro!!!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I kind figured like (Dwaug) if your going to go for a new car why not get the V8. I do believe that the V6 cars are going to be like the first 65 Mustangs, dime a dozen in a few years and not worth much. IMO only. I do believe that the 2SS/RS is worth every penny you pay. Of course I'm sold on my 2SS. What a sweet ride. A person has to do what he can and he has the final decision.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts