Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These specs are also found on the production spec sheet found here:
http://www.5thgen.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7001

LS3 / L99 - 6.2L V8

Displacement: 6162cc / 376ci
Bore x Stroke: 4.06" x 3.62" / 103.25mm x 92mm
Block Material: cast aluminum w/ cast-in-place iron bore liners
Cylinder Head Material: Aluminum
Valvetrain: valve-in-head; two valves per cylinder; roller lifters; L99 - Active Fuel Management
Ignition System: high-energy distributorless ignition; solid state direct-fire ignition w/ coil near plug and integrated ignition
Fuel Delivery: returnless, multi-port fuel injection
Compression Ratio: 10.7:1
Horsepower: LS3 - 422 @ 5000rpm, L99 - 400 @ 5000rpm
Torque: LS3 - 408 @ 4500rpm, L99 - 395 @ 4500rpm
Maximum Engine Speed: LS3 - 6600rpm, L99 - 6000rpm
Recommended Fuel: Premium Unleaded
Emissions Controls: evaporative system, close-coupled catalytic converters, positive crankcase ventilation, electronic throttle control
Fuel Economy (estimate): 23MPG Highway - Auto Trans

·
Registered
646 Posts
Anybody catch that the hp ratings are at only 5,000 rpm.

Can you say underrated for insurance purposes? :)

The LS3 is a good base engine to work from.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Looks like the main differences between the engines is the obvious AFM on the L99 and the free-er flowing heads on the LS3.

Hmmmmm, since the AFM is accomplished via solenoids controlling collapsible lifters, then I see a LS3 head swap onto a L99 as an easy HP booster.:cool:

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Anybody catch that the hp ratings are at only 5,000 rpm.

Can you say underrated for insurance purposes? :)

The LS3 is a good base engine to work from.
Yeah, no kidding. It took me awhile to figure that one out. 422hp at 5000rpm but engine red-line is 6600rpm. Something tells me that the actual hp output is somewhere around 450hp, maybe even 475hp.

·
Registered
646 Posts
LOL I knew you guys would catch on. I caught that right away.

You can probably figure out what the hp is at redline, I guarantee ya its more than 422. :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
What about Flex-Fuel (E85)? Should they have that in the specs if it is? Does that mean it's not?

·
Banned
57 Posts
Yeah, there is no way it peaks at 5K. And if it does that's one small cam or one restrictive intake. Either way good news for us.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I would bet my crazy @ss dog there is 20-30 hp in a CAI and nice free flowing exhaust. the LS3 is a killer platform for further improvements. :D:D

·
Registered
199 Posts
I think that is a reasonable assumption.:cool:
on the slim chance anyone was willing to take me up on my offer - I went conservative.. I still love my dog. :lol:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Whoa! I just discovered the need for premium fuel on these engines. That kinda sucks.

Oh well, if ya wanna play with the big boys...

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have a 2002 SS. It says in the manual to use 90 octane but that you can use anything 87 or better. When the gas went up I tried the 87 and found that I got about 2/3 of the mileage with it. The engine de-tunes itself and becomes less efficient. I do not know what part of the country you are from, but in the Boston area the differences in price between 87/89/93 is abou $.10 per gallon with each upgrade so if you are buying a high performance V-8 put in the high test.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'd never put 87 in one of my vehicles. Especially if it was a brand new top of the line SS or Z28.

·
Registered
142 Posts
^^^^ same here. I don't like using anything less on my Civic even though it says 90 or better. 93 on all my vehicles makes the engine last longer, even though I'm getting rid of it :)

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
I've always used 93 in everyone of my cars. I keep them for several years and there's not much difference in the price anyway.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts