Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into getting an official CAI. I currently have the Blackwing intake tube from the TB to the stock air box. And I have a K&N air filter in the air box. Of all the CAIs out there I am leaning towards the Vararam. I would like to get the tune version but I'm wondering if there is any significant difference between the tune and non-tune version. I can get a custom tune written but I'd have to drive it 150 miles first. And I don't want a CEL to pop up during that time. So what do you guys think? Tune version? Non-tune version? BTW, I'm not doing a cam or anything. Maybe a ported intake manifold in the future...

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm looking into getting an official CAI. I currently have the Blackwing intake tube from the TB to the stock air box. And I have a K&N air filter in the air box. Of all the CAIs out there I am leaning towards the Vararam. I would like to get the tune version but I'm wondering if there is any significant difference between the tune and non-tune version. I can get a custom tune written but I'd have to drive it 150 miles first. And I don't want a CEL to pop up during that time. So what do you guys think? Tune version? Non-tune version? BTW, I'm not doing a cam or anything. Maybe a ported intake manifold in the future...
I have the same set up as you. and love it.. I would not waste the money IMO

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the same set up as you. and love it.. I would not waste the money IMO
Well, they do say that great minds think alike!! Yea the Blackwing is an awesome set-up. But I'm getting a little bored at my current power level. And I'm thinking the Vararam will give me a little more. And I like the look of the Vararam!! Who knows...I might just keep it the way it is.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it looks like I'm gonna get the No-Tune version!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Sweet man take some pics!!!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The CAI will be here tomorrow by the end of the day. I will keep you all updated!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it arrived and everything looked great. Went to do the install...the box came out easy and perfect. I got the MAF off easily and ready to go on. Everything looking like a 10 minute job 20 minutes max. So I go to install the MAF sensor into the housing of the Vararam intake and guess what??!! One of the bolt holes is filled with some kind of rubber molding. No problem right? I figure a few minutes will have her cleaned out and ready to go. Nah, of course it couldn't be that easy. So 45 minutes later the hole still has this crap all up in it...I got some of it out and I try to get the bolts in. And the one bolt snaps right as I'm screwing it in. It effing figures. Let me just say, I am SOO disappointed, aggravated, and pissed off right now. And of course I get the answering machine when I call customer service and tech. So I had to send out an email explaining all this to see how they go about correcting this. I will post pics of the screw holes later. Hopefully they will come through for me. If they overnight me a new set-up with a prepaid tag to send this one back then I will be satisfied...still disappointed, but satisfied. If not then I will take my business elsewhere. We shall see. I mean, I understand that there are always gonna be one or two defective units that slip through the cracks every now and then. But it still pisses me off when I'm the one that has to deal with it. Especially since there was no problems with the $320 I sent for this thing. Again, we shall see.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
So it arrived and everything looked great. Went to do the install...the box came out easy and perfect. I got the MAF off easily and ready to go on. Everything looking like a 10 minute job 20 minutes max. So I go to install the MAF sensor into the housing of the Vararam intake and guess what??!! One of the bolt holes is filled with some kind of rubber molding. No problem right? I figure a few minutes will have her cleaned out and ready to go. Nah, of course it couldn't be that easy. So 45 minutes later the hole still has this crap all up in it...I got some of it out and I try to get the bolts in. And the one bolt snaps right as I'm screwing it in. It effing figures. Let me just say, I am SOO disappointed, aggravated, and pissed off right now. And of course I get the answering machine when I call customer service and tech. So I had to send out an email explaining all this to see how they go about correcting this. I will post pics of the screw holes later. Hopefully they will come through for me. If they overnight me a new set-up with a prepaid tag to send this one back then I will be satisfied...still disappointed, but satisfied. If not then I will take my business elsewhere. We shall see. I mean, I understand that there are always gonna be one or two defective units that slip through the cracks every now and then. But it still pisses me off when I'm the one that has to deal with it. Especially since there was no problems with the $320 I sent for this thing. Again, we shall see.
Hope they come through for you. I really like the looks of the Vararam CAI. I was at the Chevy dealer today to get my new 2013 Camaro and saw a Calloway Corvette and a Camaro with a set up that looked like a Vararam system. I like how it goes straight out the front to get real fresh air. Can't wait to see how you like it when you get it set up.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Im a vararam fan.

What I say is it the best intake for getting in cold air from outside the engine bay, but for the price I dont like the quality.

When you get the car back together and want to sell your blackwing and filter, I want to have something I can use as a throw down I can quick bolt on over a stock airbox on the dyno, to show the owner how much changing the stock air intake helps.
PM me

Thanks
Phil

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, these guys called me first thing this morning. They were extremely nice and understanding and apologized for the issues I had. They are sending me a new unit and a shipping slip so I can return the old one. They are even throwing in a filter cleaning kit and a hat!! Pretty awesome!! The new unit will be here Wednesday!! The guy said he will personally look it over before they ship it out to make sure there are no problems with it! So I can say I'm pretty happy with their response...great bunch of guys!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Ok, these guys called me first thing this morning. They were extremely nice and understanding and apologized for the issues I had. They are sending me a new unit and a shipping slip so I can return the old one. They are even throwing in a filter cleaning kit and a hat!! Pretty awesome!! The new unit will be here Wednesday!! The guy said he will personally look it over before they ship it out to make sure there are no problems with it! So I can say I'm pretty happy with their response...great bunch of guys!!
now thats some service right there.. good deal..

·
JacFab.com
428 Posts
The wait will be worth it...The quality is a little disappointing, as you've already seen, but the performance factor more than makes up for it. They do have good customer service also.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
That is good news about their service. Nice to see a company step up like that. Can't wait to see the results!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The wait will be worth it...The quality is a little disappointing, as you've already seen, but the performance factor more than makes up for it. They do have good customer service also.
Yea I was a bit surprised at the quality. Hopefully some of the thigns I dislike will be hidden or masked once it is installed. And I'm looking forward to see how it is compared to the set-up I currently have.

now thats some service right there.. good deal..
That is good news about their service. Nice to see a company step up like that. Can't wait to see the results!
Yea customer service is a big thing in my book. I don't know how long you guys have been in this but it seems like companies didn't give a crap about customer service back about 5 years ago. I guess the depression sized recession has taught companies to value the customer more. These guys were soo polite to me that I felt like a jerk, lol!! So I apologized to them and even sent them a thank you email for their help. If everything works out, they've made a life time customer!!

·
JacFab.com
428 Posts
Yea I was a bit surprised at the quality. Hopefully some of the thigns I dislike will be hidden or masked once it is installed. And I'm looking forward to see how it is compared to the set-up I currently have.
I think you will be very happy with it.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The new one comes in this evening...!!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I got the new one in. Everything looked great, the install went perfect, the car started with no problems and idled nice and smoothly from the start. I let it run for a few minutes and then took it for a test drive. This thing runs great. It rides a lot smoother even while decelerating. And the acceleration is a LOT faster than my previous set-up. This thing is even more of a monster now!! So I'm extremely happy with it. I haven't gone WOT yet, but I will soon enough. And after some miles I will have my custom tune adjusted!!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
So I got the new one in. Everything looked great, the install went perfect, the car started with no problems and idled nice and smoothly from the start. I let it run for a few minutes and then took it for a test drive. This thing runs great. It rides a lot smoother even while decelerating. And the acceleration is a LOT faster than my previous set-up. This thing is even more of a monster now!! So I'm extremely happy with it. I haven't gone WOT yet, but I will soon enough. And after some miles I will have my custom tune adjusted!!
Excellent! Now we need some pictures too! I know you have to be thrilled to finally get it together and know that it makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Thats awesome!! glad it worked out good!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts