Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm reading that Verizon announced it will be getting the iPhone 4 in February. Existing Verizon customers will be able to pre-order the phone on February 3. Please follow this link to read the CNN story if you want. http://money.cnn.com/2011/01/11/technology/verizon_iPhone/index.htm?hpt=T2

The "New Every Two" plan will remain intact for current subscribers to use your credits for an iPhone. My question is how much credit are they willing to give potential existing customers. I am now eligible for an upgrade through this plan and am considering an iPhone. How much of a discount will I, or anybody for that matter, get if you use the upgrade?

An interesting issue that has popped up is the lack of 4G support for the iPhone. This means you won't be able to "chat and surf" at the same time. Verizon is touting a new 4G service now. Why not use it?

With this phone on Verizon's network you will be able to turn your phone into a wireless hotspot for up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices. A feature that AT&T subscribers cannot access without "jail breaking" their phone. Is this a selling point? Do you really need to enable your phone to be a "hot spot"?

With the obvious omission of data plan pricing in this announcement one would speculate this may signal the end of the unlimited plans for their current smartphone data plan offerings. Perhaps there will be a data plan for iPhone and a data plan for everything else? Not the best plan, but Verizon could do that to keep data usage down by inflating the price.

Since Verizon did not sign an exclusive contract with Apple for the CDMA devices this means you could see the iPhone appear on Sprint or T-Mobile in the future.

All things considered, this is a good thing to open it up for other service providers such as Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile. With people leaving AT&T for Verizon, which will happen, you will see service most likely improve for existing AT&T customers over time.

What are you thoughts?

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
From what I've read is that the current iphone will not work w/ verizon 4g....but the next one will. I've also heard that you wont even be able to get 4g in all areas yet anyway, not to mention the prices are going to increase for 4g service.

I have verizon service now and it works very well here (at&t not so good)...I am due for a new phone and can get a droid incredible for free or droid 2 for $29...not sure it's really worth it to pay probably $200 (or more) for an iphone when the droids are so cheap.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Hopefully it will work out nice for u verizon folks. And yeah the iphone 4 is a 3g phone unless they do some crazy upgrade. I have sprint so I have an epic 4g. The 4g is faster than the 3g phones I tried and we don't even have 4g towers in my area yet. I bet they'll have a 4g iphone out by late spring/early summer. Id wait and upgrade then. Then u can also see how the plans pan out.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
im on the list for 4 phones. cant wait.
with as long as it takes to get good phones at verizon, im not waiting for a 4g. thats just a bunch of BS anyways. who can make the next biggest number in front of a G wins.

i got 6G...I WIN!

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
i thought about the droid, but my sister has the droid X? i think. and she has problems with it all the time. my buddy also has a droid and he said it blows. hes gone through 2 already and hes only had it a few months. ive had blackberry's for the past 4 years. i love them. emails great. ive only had a few problems with it freezing. last time i lost ALL my info. im just ready to change. like cars, i need to get new phones every now and then too.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
the big thing i just red is that you cant take a call and serf the web at the same time. other than that, i dont think theres much to be concerned about. i really like the idea of the mobile hot spot. thats a perk over AT&T.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I got Vz, but I'm still gonna wait until they can get off the CDMA, which I expect to be shortly down the road. Had the same LG flip phone going on 5 years now, and what's another 6 months or so to wait?

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
good for you. i dont have that much self control. :lol: they say verizon will change in the summer, but i cant hold out any more. ill buy the i phone5 when that happens.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
good for you. i dont have that much self control. :lol: they say verizon will change in the summer, but i cant hold out any more. ill buy the i phone5 when that happens.
So you're going to pay the full price for the phone? Otherwise, it's a 2 year contract if you get the subsidized phone price and they'll rape you if you bust out on it. I'm up for a "new every 2", but that only means they raise the prices on you more often if you take them up on it as it's a "new" contract. Once you go over the 2 years, you can upgrade any time, though. I've been paying the same $59 per month for two phones since 2006. It's gonna scare me when we do renew. Besides, the bugs will be worked out, the 5 phone will probably be out by then, and I'll save some $$. I don't do text or tweet though, but I got a feeling I'll be paying for that crap anyway. To me, that's simply stupid. If you got a phone, then fuggin' call for cripes sake. Otherwise, Facebook it.

·
Registered
589 Posts
WP7 is where its at. Never going back to iphone.

·
Banned
23 Posts
I already have the iPhone 4 and it's screen is amazing...well worth the 300 bucks IMO . I just wish white would have come out. The EVO is a decent phone too though. Yes, I have AT&T , but I'm ok with that :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts