Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
people talk about low vin numbers and such.How can you tell.
my vin is 2g1ft1ew7a9102397 can someone help answer question

·
Registered
326 Posts
I used to know how this worked, the first few numbers in the vin designate who produced it 2 is GM G is chevy or something like that, the next few used to desribe the car, I know on trucks there would be a C or K for 2wd or 4wd (or something like that) I think its the last 6or 8 or something like that so that show where it is in the production
ah here it is (may be TMI)

VIN Vehicle Identification Number History How To Read A VIN

Every vehicle has a unique VIN (Vehicle Identification Number). The VIN number is stamped onto a small metal plate and is attached to the drivers side of the dash where it meets the window. The VIN allows the Department of Motor Vehicles or the Department of Transportation to keep track of the vehicles registered owner.

Police also use this number to verify that a vehicle has not been stolen and is in the possession of the original owner. However, it takes professional thieves only seconds to replace this plate with one from a legally purchased junk car of the same make and model.

Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)

What is it?

A car’s vehicle identification number (VIN) is the automotive equivalent of
human "DNA".

It sets the vehicle apart from the millions of other vehicles out there. In recent times it has been reflected in 17 digit characters. It displays a car’s uniqueness and heritage and provides a form of "factory to scrap yard" identification. It can be used to track recalls, registrations, warranty claims, thefts and insurance coverage. Each character or digit has a particular purpose.

History of the VIN

Detroit automobile manufacturers began stamping and casting identifying numbers on cars and their parts in the mid 1950's . The primary purpose of this vehicle identification number (VIN) was to give an accurate description of the vehicle when mass production numbers were starting to scale in very significant numbers. The early VINs came in a range of variations depending on the individual manufacturer at that time.

In the early 1980's the U.S. National highway Traffic Safety Administration (USDOT) required that all road vehicles must contain a 17 character VIN. This established the standard fixed VIN system which major vehicle manufacturers use currently. The result was a unique "DNA" style number for each individual vehicle rolled off the assembly line.

The Vehicle Identification Number was originally described in ISO Standard 3779 in February 1977 and last revised in 1983. The ISO-VIN was designed to identify motor vehicles, trailers, motorcycles and mopeds and consists of several parts described below.

How to read a VIN

1st character- Identifies the country in which the vehicle was manufactured.
For example: U.S.A.(1or 4), Canada(2), Mexico(3), Japan(J), Korea(K), England(S), Germany(W), Italy(Z)

2nd character- Identifies the manufacturer. For example; Audi(A),
BMW(B), Buick(4), Cadillac(6), Chevrolet(1), Chrysler(C), Dodge(B),
Ford(F), GM Canada(7), General Motors(G), Honda(H), Jaquar(A), Lincoln(L), Mercedes Benz(D), Mercury(M), Nissan(N), Oldsmobile(3), Pontiac(2or5), Plymouth(P), Saturn(8), Toyota(T), VW(V), Volvo(V).

3rd character- Identifies vehicle type or manufacturing division.

4th to 8th characters- VDS - Vehicle Descriptor Section. These 5 characters occupy positions 4 through 8 of the VIN and may be used by the manufacturer to identify attributes of the vehicle. Identifies vehicle features such as body style, engine type, model, series, etc.

9th Character - The check digit "character or digit 9" in the sequence of a vehicle identification number (VIN) built beginning with model year 1981 (when the 17 character digit format was established) can best be described as identifying the VIN accuracy.

A check digit shall be part of each vin (since 1981) and shall appear in position
nine (9) of the VIN on the vehicle and on any transfer documents containing
the vin prepared by the manufacturer to be given to the first owner for purposes
other than resale. Thus, the vins of any two vehicles manufactured within a 30
year period shall not be identical. The check digit means a single number or letter
"x" used to verify the accuracy of the transcription of the vehicle identification
number.

After all other characters in the VIN have been determined by the manufacturer
the check digit is calculated by carrying out a mathematical computation
specified. This is based on vin position, sample vin, assigned value code,
weight factor and multiply assigned value times weight factors. The values are added and the total is divided by 11. The remainder is the check digit number.
The correct numeric remainder - zero through nine (0-9) will appear.
However, if the remainder is 10 the letter "X" is used to designate the check
digit value/number.

10th character- Identifies the model year. For example: 1988(J), 1989(K), 1990(L), 1991(M), 1992(N), 1993(P), 1994(R), 1995(S), 1996(T),
1997(V), 1998(W), 1999(X), 2000(Y)------2001(1), 2002(2), 2003(3)

11th character- Identifies the assembly plant for the vehicle.

12th to 17th characters- VIS - Vehicle Identifier Section. The last 8 characters of the VIN are used for the identification a of specific vehicle. The last four characters shall always be numeric. Identifies the sequence of the vehicle for production as it rolled off the manufacturers assembly line.

got the info here http://www.vinguard.org/vin.htm

·
Registered
62 Posts
interesting....

·
THE FBODFATHER
487 Posts
thanks so my car was 2397 produced
Yours was the 2,397th REGULAR Production Camaro built - there were several hundred "Captured Test Fleet" Camaros built - their VINS (last 8 started with
A9000001 - -whereas Regular Production Camaros start with A9100001

·
Registered
170 Posts
This VIN discussion if very interesting.

Is there a "VIN decoder" somewhere that you can enter your VIN and retrieve all the information contained in it?

:confused:

·
Registered
326 Posts
The decoder I found couldn't translate the Camaro VIN in used so maybe not up to date

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yeah, I tried entering "VIN decoder" into google, it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. They just what to sell you something.

:mad::angry::mad:

·
Registered
99 Posts
My car is an even number: 3400. Very cool, Rob ;)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Pay attention to the last five numbers. Rick Hendrick has 00001 and 00002. Those were the first 2010 Camaros off of the line.Doctor Phil has #00005. Jay Leno has a car in the 00150 bracket. Rick Hendrick paid $350,000.00 for those cars and the money went to charity. I have car # 08399. It was built in early May. I got it on 5/20/09. The numbers to the left of the last five tell which engine, were it was built, transmission etc. The last five are the sequential order of build numbers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fbodfather,

Can you please expand on the "captured test fleet" camaro's - it seems I have one of those- VIN A9000542

What exactly does that mean??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey everyone! Great news here! Send us your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), and we will send you a free vehicle history report for the first 20 users.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts