328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
witch one will all ya 5thgen buyers go with Vinyl strips
are Painted strips if it is an option are just buy one and
have them painted on???

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
With what I know about today's manufacturing processes, the stripes will be vinyl, and might even be a dealer add-on. Of course, painted stripes are nice, and you can make them any color if you choose.(visit your local custom bodyshop;)) I just can't wait to see just what types of stripe designs GM will have...the 1st gens had several designs.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With what I know about today's manufacturing processes, the stripes will be vinyl, and might even be a dealer add-on. Of course, painted stripes are nice, and you can make them any color if you choose.(visit your local custom bodyshop;)) I just can't wait to see just what types of stripe designs GM will have...the 1st gens had several designs.
I agree with you on seeing what type of stripe designs GM will have.
Having a 68 with stripes, im excited to see what they come up with.

·
Registered
349 Posts
My question is, if you have them painted on through aftermarket methods, will they have to repaint the entire car to make them part of the whole paint job, or can they lay them on top of original factory paint?

I really do hope that the Bumblebee style stripes will be an option. It only makes since that they would be, but you never know I quess.

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
My question is, if you have them painted on through aftermarket methods, will they have to repaint the entire car to make them part of the whole paint job, or can they lay them on top of original factory paint?

I really do hope that the Bumblebee style stripes will be an option. It only makes since that they would be, but you never know I quess.
You only need to paint the stripes on. If it is done properly there should be no issues :D

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
I hope they are painted. After 5 years, all vinyl cracks and peels, no matter what you use!
It's a tough call. They did some custom paint work with the Commerative Corvettes in 2004 or so. I'd be interested to see if the stripes (if offered) on the Camaro end up vinyl or paint.

Regarding the longevity, there are plenty of cars with OEM decals on them that still look great after 20+ years :D

·
Registered
349 Posts
You only need to paint the stripes on. If it is done properly there should be no issues :D
Thanks. Any idea what this kind of aftermarket thing costs? I'm just trying to figure it into my savings if need be.

Can an auto place like Maacho do this kind of job the right way? I have one rigth down the street from me.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Thanks. Any idea what this kind of aftermarket thing costs? I'm just trying to figure it into my savings if need be.

Can an auto place like Maacho do this kind of job the right way? I have one rigth down the street from me.
If you have a sign shop make stripes, make sure they use the top quality vinyl, or you will have cracking and peeling issues. My neighbor owns a sign shop,(next to my bodyshop) so I know what the deal is with that. He said depending on the stripe design, between $150-350. Now, if you want to paint the stripes on, you have 2 options. Paint them on top of the existing surface, and leave it, just like they did back in the factory in 69. If you really want it to look custom, after we paint the stripes on, we can wetsand them lightly, prep the hood and decklid, and clear over the entire surface. We then would wetsand the areas and buff. When done, the stripes are "buried" under the clear and cannot be felt to the touch. This is NOT something you want Maaco to do, they are the Wal-Mart of bodyshops. Get an independent or custom shop to do this. You don't want some HACK touching your new car. I have an old saying: The quality of work done for nothing is usually equal to the fee. If I painted the stripes on, cleared over and buried them, the cost would be between $1500-2500. Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
349 Posts
If you have a sign shop make stripes, make sure they use the top quality vinyl, or you will have cracking and peeling issues. My neighbor owns a sign shop,(next to my bodyshop) so I know what the deal is with that. He said depending on the stripe design, between $150-350. Now, if you want to paint the stripes on, you have 2 options. Paint them on top of the existing surface, and leave it, just like they did back in the factory in 69. If you really want it to look custom, after we paint the stripes on, we can wetsand them lightly, prep the hood and decklid, and clear over the entire surface. We then would wetsand the areas and buff. When done, the stripes are "buried" under the clear and cannot be felt to the touch. This is NOT something you want Maaco to do, they are the Wal-Mart of bodyshops. Get an independent or custom shop to do this. You don't want some HACK touching your new car. I have an old saying: The quality of work done for nothing is usually equal to the fee. If I painted the stripes on, cleared over and buried them, the cost would be between $1500-2500. Hope this is helpful.
That is very helpfull. So much so, I will bookmark this page and print it out. So depending on what they offer from the factory, I can refer back to this if need be.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
OEM stripes anymore are always vinyl.
OEM stuff holds up pretty well though.
My buddy's 93 Pace car decals are like new.
Another friend has a 2000 T/A with aftermarket vinyl on it (done in 2001) and they're junk now.

·
Registered
349 Posts
OEM stripes anymore are always vinyl.
OEM stuff holds up pretty well though.
My buddy's 93 Pace car decals are like new.
Another friend has a 2000 T/A with aftermarket vinyl on it (done in 2001) and they're junk now.
My first question would be, is this his regular car, or a second non-work car? The reason I ask is because the Camaro would be my only car. It's parked in an open parking lot through out the week. I live in the central US where the summer sun can be pretty harsh. I have some Superman seat covers on my current car, and the bright reds and blues are already fading after a few years. And that's inside the car.

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
Well the good news is you can wax/polish vinyl stripes just like the rest of the car.
But yeah prolonged sun exposure will probably shorten the life regardless.
Not a whole lot you can do about it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Well the good news is you can wax/polish vinyl stripes just like the rest of the car.
But yeah prolonged sun exposure will probably shorten the life regardless.
Not a whole lot you can do about it.

At this point, I'm leaning towards LT16SPEED painted option. I'll just have to save some of my downpayment savings for this.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts