Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a short video of my 2010 Camaro SS and his exhaust. :thumbsup:

• LPE GT11 camshaft installed by Davenport Motorsports
  • custom equal length stepped headers fabricated by Unobtainium Welding.
  • custom quad-tipped centered exhaust fabricated by Unobtainium Welding.
  • C.A.I. cold air intake
  • Elite Engineering catch can

·
8,984 Posts
NICEST idle I have heard yet.....what mufflers?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Nothing short of sensational....absolutely love it....can I get a set?

·
8,984 Posts
I think I read that they are custom mufflers from Unobtanium?
All aluminum headers back!:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Yes, I read that too, but it looks like aftermarket Vette mufflers, hence the reason I asked. :D:thumbsup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nice!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
114 Posts
That is really nice, the quads are too cool!!!!!!

·
Banned
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The mufflers are hand-crafted by Chris at Unobtainium Welding.

Thank you for your comments! :D

·
8,984 Posts
Any under body shots of this madness? :D

·
Banned
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any under body shots of this madness? :D
:D

:thumbsup:

Front of Camaro, looking back.

Looking towards the front of the car.

Placement of driver's side headers.

Placement of driver's side headers.

Driver's side headers, right before install.

Exhaust

·
8,984 Posts
I like everything except the 180 degree bend into the muffler. Personally, mufflers right after the x-pipe and then straight out would have been NOICE!

Regardless it's sounds bad asss!

·
Registered
328 Posts
I like everything except the 180 degree bend into the muffler. Personally, mufflers right after the x-pipe and then straight out would have been NOICE!

Regardless it's sounds bad asss!
In my personal experience I have found more power with the mufflers placed at the very end of an exhaust. I also like the sound better. It seems like you lose the throaty sound and gain some rasp the longer the pipe is after the muffler. I literally tried moving the muffler in 6" increments forward and back while tuning for power and listening to the exhaust note.
I also wonder if the scavenging is better because a further up muffler disturbs the airflow less. Also a muffler absorbs alot of heat, hot gasses travel easier in a pipe than the same gasses cooled in the same pipe. My good friend is the senior physicist at Harvard as well as an aeronautical engineer. He taught me alot about about it while working on his race car.
What is your take on all this?

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts

·
8,984 Posts
In my personal experience I have found more power with the mufflers placed at the very end of an exhaust. I also like the sound better. It seems like you lose the throaty sound and gain some rasp the longer the pipe is after the muffler. I literally tried moving the muffler in 6" increments forward and back while tuning for power and listening to the exhaust note.
I also wonder if the scavenging is better because a further up muffler disturbs the airflow less. Also a muffler absorbs alot of heat, hot gasses travel easier in a pipe than the same gasses cooled in the same pipe. My good friend is the senior physicist at Harvard as well as an aeronautical engineer. He taught me alot about about it while working on his race car.
What is your take on all this?
Very, very true, but you loose more power for every bend and fluid dynamics will tell you that a 180 degree bend in a system is very restrictive. (not as restrictive as non-mandrel bent wrong sized exhaust, but still very restrictive!!! :lol:

It also depends on the TOTAL length of the system. Raspy yes, sometimes if they are header mufflers, but the WHOLE system gets quieter the farther back the mufflers are placed, as you mentioned.

A muffler absorbs heat as it is changing the energy from one form to another; sound energy into heat energy. :)

I don't think the placement of a muffler deteriorates flow when it is that far back, but yes it does and probably would let the pipes scavenge more as there is more time (nano-seconds) TO scavenge. Good headers and I mean well designed and an X pipe can help in scavenging as well.

I really think the raspiness might be the lack of scavenging that you are hearing or the lack of an X-pipe or both.

·
Registered
407 Posts
That is badass! Love that exhaust and the logo cut into the tips.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Very, very true, but you loose more power for every bend and fluid dynamics will tell you that a 180 degree bend in a system is very restrictive. (not as restrictive as non-mandrel bent wrong sized exhaust, but still very restrictive!!! :lol:

It also depends on the TOTAL length of the system. Raspy yes, sometimes if they are header mufflers, but the WHOLE system gets quieter the farther back the mufflers are placed, as you mentioned.

A muffler absorbs heat as it is changing the energy from one form to another; sound energy into heat energy. :)

I don't think the placement of a muffler deteriorates flow when it is that far back, but yes it does and probably would let the pipes scavenge more as there is more time (nano-seconds) TO scavenge. Good headers and I mean well designed and an X pipe can help in scavenging as well.

I really think the raspiness might be the lack of scavenging that you are hearing or the lack of an X-pipe or both.

Well said. Like you I was wondering why the mufflers didn't just come straight out. Far be it for me to challenge another's design, especially when the headers look so good.

·
Banned
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Awesome info added by 54inches and Yellow_2SS. I appreciate the compliments, and absolutely encourage any mechanical and/or engineering input. :thumbsup:

As you've surmised, the mufflers were placed where they were, at that angle, for the sound. :)

180 degree bends are restrictive? Yep. They are. But with 3" pipes that restriction, while real, is minimal. Hearing the decel popping explode behind you, personally, is freaking awesome!!!!

I have had at least 10 "old men" run up to me at gas stations, parking lots, my driveway and go on about their "old school" muscle cars in the late '60s and early '70s (before the engines were choked). The sound I'm getting, with all the modern day horsepower behind it, is bringing back memories in muscle car veterans. They just LOVE the sound.

And I love it, as that's precisely what I was going for. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts