Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked with the dealer on CAI and the effect on my warranty. He told me as long as it doesn't through any codes I'll be alright.

Question: Have you guys had any codes after installing CAI and if so what brand do you have?

Thanks,
Ken

·
Registered
88 Posts
I went with the K&N 63-3074. I've used K&N for years, so I struck with them. I've had no probelm in throwing any codes, but I'm not sure if I would leave it on if I'm having warranty work done. It's so easy to install, I'd would more than likly just switch it out with OEM set up before the work was done.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been leaning toward the Roto-Fab, but I am still undecided. I guess I want to see what info this thread brings.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Think about this, what will a cold air intake change about the warranty, the air going in to your engine is of a higher volume? What if I bought my car in Alpine, AZ @9000+ feet and drove it to Chicago, Ill? A drop in altitude like that would be just like you putting on a better-breathing filter and piping system, allowing more dense/ or more flow to the engine. These cars are supposed to be able to compensate for those kind of changes, I mean, we are not talking about assisted/forced air injection here. So in all reality the ECM controlling the minute functions of your motor should be able compensate for any air changes, so why would a better breathing filter and a larger/less constricting pipe void the warranty? Consider this: when I ordered my Camaro on January 10th 2009, GM had an option of ordering a Cold Air Intake, Long Tobe Headders and an Axle-Back Performace Exhaust System. I ordered them all, the CAI was on "engineering delays" as was the LT Headders, but the exhaust came in with the car. So if GM originally intended the car to have an upgrade option for the intake of air, they already knew that this engine could take deeper breaths of air & produce better HP. I don't think you should worry until you crack the block.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea. The service Manager mentioned the GM CAI. I need to look that up.

Does any one here have the GM CAI setup?

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Yea. The service Manager mentioned the GM CAI. I need to look that up.

Does any one here have the GM CAI setup?
it has been unofficially discontinued... they never came out with it; all it was was a polished airlid and maybe a different filter.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been doing searches on codes associated with CAI and have found nothing.

I have a friend with a DuraMax, he put a normal WIX filter on the truck and it adversly effected the way it ran and threw codes. He took it to the dealer and they said it was the filter. They charged him to adjust the fuel pressure, i think, and put back GM filter. It didnot void the warranty, however it was not covered under warranty.

I just don't want to spend $400 and have problems.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
No input from someone with a Roto-Fab?

I may end up going with the K&N.
Jannetty Racing is doing another independent cold air intake comparison soon. they did one last year, but they are doing another because a lot more came out since then.

it should be done by the end of the month so be patient ;)

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
A couple weeks after I took delivery of mine I put an LMR CAI on mine, noticed a little more pep to the throttle right away. When I got on it hard I was throwin a "Left Bank too Lean' code, so i took it pretty easy and cleared the code whenever it came on (with my own scanner). I put headers and 3" exhaust on, and no matter how hard I get on it, it no longer throws codes.

my 2 pesos, ok 4 pesos.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts