Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So do we know yet what actually voids the warranty does CAI void it a tune I would assume anyone have any facts yet ?
Also I kind of liked 5go why the name change?:5go: if this was covered anywhere else im sorry

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
a tune will void your warranty, that's what I read, and I feel that a dealer can easily make a case in saying that a tune caused a malfunction in whatever you're claiming

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
Just don't blow the engine up :lol: They will say the tuned caused it
SO true :lol:

Not much voids the warranty, they may refuse a claim on a particular issue, but the warranty as a whole is not void. That seems to be a common mis-conception on forums like this.

·
9,152 Posts
a tune will void your warranty, that's what I read, and I feel that a dealer can easily make a case in saying that a tune caused a malfunction in whatever you're claiming
A generalization. Something powertrain/drive train related? Probably so, but it pretty much ends there.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
A tuner who knows what he's doing can make the tune "invisible"...or if you have issues, you can have the PCM flashed back to stock before you go to the dealer. And you can always swap the stock CAI back in as well.

I don't think dealers are all that worried about it unless you blow up anything major...like your motor/trans/rear...and if I did that, I'd get everything back to as close to stock if possible just to be safe.

·
9,152 Posts
A tuner who knows what he's doing can make the tune "invisible"...or if you have issues, you can have the PCM flashed back to stock before you go to the dealer. And you can always swap the stock CAI back in as well.

I don't think dealers are all that worried about it unless you blow up anything major...like your motor/trans/rear...and if I did that, I'd get everything back to as close to stock if possible just to be safe.
Not sure about invisible, but returning it back to stock mode or keeping your original PCM is a good idea if you are concerned about warranty issues.

I still have the original PCM for my GMC in the closet. Not that it matters now that I have 200K on it :lol:

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
As someone who admits to knowing absolutely nothing about the subject, I find that very hard to believe.
Especially if the only source for that claim is the tuners accepting my money themselves.
One of the sponsors here claims he can do it and I've spoken to others that make the same claim. That said, if I needed a major repair, I'd get the stock tune back in there just to be safe.

·
9,152 Posts
One of the sponsors here claims he can do it and I've spoken to others that make the same claim. That said, if I needed a major repair, I'd get the stock tune back in there just to be safe.
They can claim it, I find it VERY hard to believe.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Im a nub with tunning as I have never made anything go fast that was computer controlled but I was reading that a gm tech can see if the pcm has been flashed and how many times it has been falshed. Anyone think this is true? Any way around this?

·
Registered
62 Posts
They can, but most will look at each issue and see if there is a relationship between the mod and the part that's broken.
And they also look at what bulletins have been posted on defective parts (like the LS3 driveline issues).
If an LS3 owner shows up at the dealership with one of those issues, most dealerships will fix it, even if you have some mods.

A guy just recently had his synchros replaced in his 2010 LS3 SS under warranty. His car has been tuned with long tube headers and exhaust.

·
Registered
18 Posts
As someone who admits to knowing absolutely nothing about the subject, I find that very hard to believe.
Especially if the only source for that claim is the tuners accepting my money themselves.
I will go easy on you here, yes this is being develop and there are a few Tuners that can do this. www.trifectaperformance.com is working on this, they have taken a few tuned cars into the dealers and they have not been able to detect the tune. I don't know how consistent it is but it is still being tested.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Next question where do I go to tune this thing here in NY Any ideas power freaker ?
YES...when you're ready, let me know. Mine's going in for a tune and a few other mods in another week or 2.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I will go easy on you here, yes this is being develop and there are a few Tuners that can do this. www.trifectaperformance.com is working on this, they have taken a few tuned cars into the dealers and they have not been able to detect the tune. I don't know how consistent it is but it is still being tested.
You'll go easy on me?

Thanks.
Nothing creates more confidence in my mind than a guy who capitalizes "tuners" and whose last sentence is "I don't know how consistent it is".......

:lol:

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
from what I understand is that if a dealer is doing any major warranty work, GM requires a screen shot showing the original "calibration verification number" for the PCM. A tuner who knows what he's doing will be able to keep that # the same...so GM wont be able to see that anything's been changed.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts