Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife took our durango that I just bought 2 months ago to the car wash. 99 5.2L I think. She said that when she went into the out car wash that the engine quit. She started it back and she said it ran very rough and was spraying/squirting water out from the engine area. She is not sure where it came from. She said it ran rough all the way home and by the time she got home it was running better. Now it runs but seems to have a miss. I looked it over and it has a bent fender on the pass side and a gap where a side spray of water could go in from the wash. That is the side that the intake is on. The intake is missing the piece that routes it into the fender. So it is just open and then goes to the filter. I think it could have sucked up the water into the intake.

What do you think would cause the miss?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Not to worry. My son put his '81 Olds Cutlass in my cousins pond. Over the engine and everything. Few oil changes, 4 trans changes and she fired up like a stage 4 rocket.................good luck.

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It started and quit the next day, but now it seems to be running normal again. I am going to go ahead and do a tune up and change the oil anyway though.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
check the IAC valve on the back of the throttle body for rusting, change it if needed or just clean it. its pretty easy to remove, just 2 hex screws on the back side of the throttle body. while having the air intake off it would be a good idea to clean the build up around the throttle plates as well with some carb cleaner!

i have a 98 dakota with the same engine as your durango, and for a while it would start and die like that. i checked the IAC valve and it was rusted stuck and would not move in or out. after replacing it and cleaning the throttle body she purred like a kitten and always started right up!

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Not to worry. My son put his '81 Olds Cutlass in my cousins pond. Over the engine and everything. Few oil changes, 4 trans changes and she fired up like a stage 4 rocket.................good luck.
Heh wow he got lucky then. I hit a deep puddle b4 in the Z and hydrolocked it.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Heh wow he got lucky then. I hit a deep puddle b4 in the Z and hydrolocked it.
this is by far the most likely outcome.

@OP, let it dry out. If it's not knocking, there's probably no internal damage.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Too bad it's not a 305, you can't destroy one of those!!! :lol: I heard the 305tbi cars in hurricane Katrina still ran after being submerged for over a week! :D. Put a 305 in dat thing!!!

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Too bad it's not a 305, you can't destroy one of those!!! :lol: I heard the 305tbi cars in hurricane Katrina still ran after being submerged for over a week! :D. Put a 305 in dat thing!!!

Heh let me see it I'll show you how to do it. :D.

Engines can still run after being submerged, so long as it's dried out and drained. It's the trying to compress 9 parts water (or whatever the CR is)into one that the rods and pistons don't like. Loose rings "might" save the oblivion.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Heh let me see it I'll show you how to do it. :D.

Engines can still run after being submerged, so long as it's dried out and drained. It's the trying to compress 9 parts water (or whatever the CR is)into one that the rods and pistons don't like. Loose rings "might" save the oblivion.
Haha good luck. I've put it through it's paces, and it won't die :lol:

I could drive it without oil and it would probably run for awhile haha.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts