Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"Weak" vs "Strong" 5th Gen MAF Sensors

Recent work by our friends at Vararam uncovered a disparity in the way seemingly identical 5th gen Camaro SSs responded to increased air flow. After a little research it was discovered that the culprit is the OEM MAF sensors which have now been categorized as either “weak” or “strong”. This revelations has lead to a lot of questions and, as usual, a lot of bad information being posted on the internet. In this post I will try and set some of it straight.

What makes a MAF sensor “weak” or “strong”?

The simple explanation is that “weak” sensors are not showing the same resistance levels as the “strong” sensors. The MAF sensors that have been identified as “weak” read 1560-1670HZ at idle with the A/C off while a “strong” MAF reads at 1800MHZ. During on road, light throttle input the MHZ are slow and weak in response to throttle changes which is what causes the hesitation and throttle lag. At wide open throttle the “weak” MAF shows 120-170MHZ lower than the 8600MHZ the “strong” MAF sensors will show on the same car. Depending on what intake modifications are made the fuel trim with a “weak” MAF can range from -25% on the high end to -3% with just a simple aftermarket panel replacement filter. Pull the “weak” sensor and install a “strong” sensor and within seconds fuel trim is back to 0% and MHZ are back to 1800+. This will instantly change the personality of a car as was demonstrated in this post on Camaro5.com.

How can I tell if my MAF is “weak” or “strong”?

It is very simple. Remove the MAF sensor from your intake tube and take a look at the code inside the indented window. Any single letter MAF is “weak” and any MAF that features a letter followed by a number like the one in the picture below is “strong”.

Setting things straight

There are two points of confusion that seem to constantly come up when this topic is discussed:

1) This is a hardware issue with the MAF sensor and not a tune issue. The “weak” MAF needs to be replaced and the issue can not be corrected with a tune.

2) The “weak” sensors function just fine and are within OEM tolerances when the car remains in the stock configuration. Once additional air flow is introduced is when problems arise. Because of that it is not something that GM will replace under warranty.

·
Bully Proof
7,086 Posts
I have been having trouble with slow throttle response lately. I will check the number later. I have several exhaust upgrades...so I'm on my own as far as replacement. Can you tell me about the MAF Sensor upgrade that I've seen people refer to? And the cost if you sell them? [URL="
[/URL]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Envy you may want to go by your dealer with that problem, the MAFs in this post are in the LS3, L99 V8's and shouldn't be the same as the MAF in your 1LT 3.6 VVT

·
Bully Proof
7,086 Posts
Envy you may want to go by your dealer with that problem, the MAFs in this post are in the LS3, L99 V8's and shouldn't be the same as the MAF in your 1LT 3.6 VVT
My dealer isn't going to help me since I have quite a few modifications on the car. As a result of reading this thread and the research it stimulated...I decided to run to Auto Zone and get some MAF Sensor cleaner. I cleaned the MAF sensor and just went for a test drive and problem solved...NO throttle hesitation at all! [URL="
[/URL]

Now I'll go back to my V6 section and leave you guys alone...lol. Thanks for the help :5go:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My dealer isn't going to help me since I have quite a few modifications on the car. As a result of reading this thread and the research it stimulated...I decided to run to Auto Zone and get some MAF Sensor cleaner. I cleaned the MAF sensor and just went for a test drive and problem solved...NO throttle hesitation at all! [URL="
[/URL]

Now I'll go back to my V6 section and leave you guys alone...lol. Thanks for the help :5go:
That worked out well. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Now I'll go back to my V6 section and leave you guys alone...lol. Thanks for the help :5go:[/QUOTE]

:( i didnt mean it like that, glad you got your hesitation problem fixed though
i just assumed it didn't relate to your sensor being that its v6 and v8 like apples and oranges BUT then again the whole "global A" architecture GM is implementing on a few 2010+ vehicles may mean they are the same sensors. And would have same "component code"

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts

·
Bully Proof
7,086 Posts
I wonder if the back-up-camera will have the same issues, the stock one's vs aftermarket ?
Upgrade the camera ?? I would think not but it doesn't hurt to ask :dunno:

Great wright-up :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
You lost me there HotRod...what does the back-up camera have to do with the Mass AirFlow Sensor in my CAI? [URL="
[/URL]

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey all, I am new to this site. I have a 2010 ss2 and I just replaced the factory air intake with a K&N cold air intake. I am having second thoughts about this and am thinking of switching back to the factory intake. I have read problems with the MAF when oil from the K&N filter gets on it. K&N says this is impossible and ridiculous. I have also read about water getting to the engine through the filter because it is not protected by a box and causing serious problems. Is all this just misinformation or is there truth to the claims that I need to be concerned about.

I installed my K&N on Saturday and have not had any problems yet, although I have not driven but maybe 50 miles.

Help.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
K&N is correct. I've been running their filters on all our vehicles for years with no trouble. Unless you screw up and and can't follow their simple cleaning instructions, you'll have no trouble and NEVER have to buy another air filter again.

I drove through bumper deep water on a back road near Greencastle, PA Friday at around 6PM in my Silverado with a FIPK on it (no lift kit, stock tires)and had no problems, and I had to navigate around a flooded out Dodge Ram sitting in the same water with the hood up and a very sad looking owner on the phone getting a tow truck to come get him.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Ok, so I finally got around to checking my MAF, with a cold air intake in my near future, and unfortunately mine read "K24". I now have a dumb question, where do I purchase a "strong" MAF?

·
Premium Member
4,382 Posts
You DO have a strong sensor, a letter followed by two numbers are the strong sensors. Re-read the first opening article by apex. K24 is strong.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts