Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright. Gas has hit 4.15 for me. Don't get me wrong, it won't deter me from buying my all-american V8, but I admit, I have been straying. I've looked at V6 3.2 TL Acura's, and used Porsche Boxster S's, just for the V6 fuel economy. Now, as a rule, I will never EVER buy a V6 muscle car. It defeats the purpose, in my opinion. So here's the thing: We've seen LS3 Corvettes getting 37 mpg on the highway, and 20 mpg around town. Which is awesome, if you can manage to stay out of the gas pedal. I think the other deciding factor in that kind of mileage is weight. Less to haul around. And we all know that the Camaro is going to weigh at least 3800 pounds. So here's my question to kick this topic off: Do you think that the weight of the fifth gen Camaro will decrease fuel economy on the LS3 models?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Will city mpg be decreased because of wieght compared to a Corvette?
Yes.
Will Hwy mpg be decreased because of weight?
No. (at least, not much) Here is where Aerodynamics plays a key role. weight won't matter once you're rolling.

No V6 muscle car, huh? Forgetting the "muscle car" designation for a moment...what makes a V6 performance car inferior to a V8? You wouldn't consider one even if it's 300hp, and get's 27mpg?;)

j.k. I do see where you're coming from...I think. Just giving you a hard time.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
37mpg? you mean 27....right? (I think 'officially' it's rated at 16/26).

Weight is a factor...but the camaro might get AFM/DOD which the vette doesn't have.

Also, once the dyno-tuners get a hold of a camaro, I'm sure you could get a pcm tune to improve mpg.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Do you think that the weight of the fifth gen Camaro will decrease fuel economy on the LS3 models?
if this car was going to be my dd i would stay away from the LS3, but as a mainly recreational vehicle i think it's the right choice. i'd go with the LS3 and expect to spend more on gas.

joe

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it's going to be my DD. I'm 21, Yes, I race, and I love having people admire my car. But what's more important is that I love the Camaro. I'm buying one no matter what, even if I have to buy a ****ty little 2000$ 1989 Integra to make it cost effective. :p

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Most boltons that free up HP will let you get better gas mileage as a side affect provided you keep your foot out of it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
gas mileage may not be such a big problem...

:read:

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/gas-could-fall-2-if/story.aspx?guid={2673C102-68E0-41D9-9C9A-10EE2E723948}&dist=msr_13

·
Registered
199 Posts
For the last 10 months I've been wanting an SS Camaro -even been to the dealership twice with checkbook in hand - but they would not take my money. Good thing! At $4+/gallon I'd be a fool to buy one. Dont get me wrong- I LOVE the car and love the V8 (I had a 450 RWHP 1991 5.0). But at these prices I'm going with the $7k MSRP SM 450R Husky. 50+ MPG has a nice ring to it. If I were driving the Camaro, knowing me I would be getting 14 MPG, not the claimed 27 everyone talks about but never sees. Why drive the car like a friggin grandma! It was meant to be driven hard! And dont be fooled - gas may come down by a small amount in the short term, but it will only get more expensive – it’s a limited resource with ever increasing demand. Do you know how much Europeans have been paying for a liter for the last 5 yrs?!? STOP SENDING MONEY TO THE JIHADISTS WHO WANT TO KILL YOU!! let the flaming begin! :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

http://www.husqvarnausa.com/

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
If I were driving the Camaro, knowing me I would be getting 14 MPG, not the claimed 27 everyone talks about but never sees.
No flaming, I thought about buying a bike as a DD as well.

But, about the gas mileage, you would have to go full blast from light to light every time to get 14 mpg. My 94 Vette, with Autocrossing included, and mostly around town 35 mph speed limits (and several quick launches at lights), I still AVERAGE over 18 mpg. It really amazes me.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well. I've decided that, if the Camaro is going to cost 31+ in stripper V8 form, I'll be buying a Saturn Sky. :p Sporty enough. But, if I can get a stripped V8 6-speed for around 29k, or 30, I'll be fine. Why not drive the hell out of a V8 in the last days of gas?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I find it a little odd you are not willing to buy a camaro if the price is higher by only 1-2K. Do you know what that price delta means in terms of a monthly pmt? prolly around $40. If you cant afford that increase, you cant afford to fill up a $29k camaro for $70 tank! :screwy::screwy::screwy:

you might want to consider a used vette... CHEVETTE!

http://www.dragtimes.com/images/5234-1986-Chevrolet-Chevette.jpg

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha. You have a good point. Either way, I imagine I'll end up with the Camaro. It was my first car, and it'll be full throttle 'till I hit the casket. :D

·
Registered
199 Posts
now if the price of gas comes down 30% and the camaro comes with some form of DOD/AFM I might reconsider. it really is a SHARP car..:D

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'd have to admit that the V8 was never seriously under consideration for me. Despite the very interesting tales I've read here and on other forums about the mileage some of us get out of V8 Corvettes, Camaros and such, I'm used to even better mileage, and have always had to think of the money spent on fuel.

Besides, it's hardly as if a Toyota Corolla is going to suck the headlights out of the V6, unless it has had some serious work done to it, that is.:roxor:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts