Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car sleeps in the garage at night along with my 69 the last few nights it has been getting down into the lower teens so when I go outside into the garage and crank my car up its BRRRRRRRRR F##KN Cold lets put it.
IT was 26 in my Garage this morning and my car turned over very slow almost like it was having a hard time cranking over.
I decided to open the trunk and check the battery terminals to make sure they were tight and something that shocks me that I noticed these batteries sit on Cold Hard steel nothing below like rubber or even a felt wrap around the battery.

Trucks that are Built in MExico or Arlington texas ( dfw ) have felt blankets that the batteries sit down inside and wrap around the battery for thermal protection.

it amazes how such a cheap fix isnt something that is used on a car that is built up north. Even one of the guys I work with said his Mustang is the same way ( built in Michigan )

im thinking of putting a piece of rubber under my battery and maybe see if i can get one of those felt socks lets call it we have on Trucks built down here.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
i never noticed that. but i have a battery tender on mine in the winter, so it always starts up first time! sucks that its 25 in your garage........ DO YOU GOT F'IN SNOW ON THE GOUND?!?!?! :lol:

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have been dealing with cold weather and starting all kinds of equipment from large trucks to tractors to railroad engines for almost 60 years. When a battery is sitting on rubber or felt it is for vibration protection, not cold. Your battery will cool at the same rate no matter what it is sitting on. We have been down to zero here this winter and my Camaro cranks very well.

·
Registered
358 Posts
i never noticed that. but i have a battery tender on mine in the winter, so it always starts up first time! sucks that its 25 in your garage........ DO YOU GOT F'IN SNOW ON THE GOUND?!?!?! :lol:
Is that battery tender a heater? Those make a HUGE difference.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have a lake in my backyard so its always nearly 6 to 8 degrees cooler at my house. We had snow Sunday however it didnt stick.
We are having an artic blast this week highs in high 20's lows in teens in some places. My Garage gets hit from the North wind off the lake so that metal garage door doesnt insulate anything .

I'm actually working on building a new house as we speak they break ground when it warms up. My next 40x40 shop will soon or later be blown in insulated.

I'm going to Hook up my Camaro on its battery tender when I get home tonight.

I have been dealing with cold weather and starting all kinds of equipment from large trucks to tractors to railroad engines for almost 60 years. When a battery is sitting on rubber or felt it is for vibration protection, not cold. Your battery will cool at the same rate no matter what it is sitting on. We have been down to zero here this winter and my Camaro cranks very well.

That makes sense im just curious why Trucks get battery thermal socks ( whatever they are called ) and Camaro's dont.

I also wonder if Camaros up north get different batteries than cars that come down south do. I know if you walk into a autopart store up north yalls batteries are high cold cranking amp batteries where down here they dont stock many of those since normally it doesnt get real cold.

wonder if the thicker oil weight im using has a lot to do with it also? hmmmmm

Scott its not because his car was sold by you and mine was sold by Well lol SHUDDUP Caveman ;) :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Dave, that Wisconsin Victory Red Camaro will eat your Texas Yellow one...MORE HP in the NORTHERN CAMARO'S

;)

:eek:rly: :muhaha: then ship mine up there we will put you behind the wheel of the red one and I will put Mr Hall behind the wheel of mine lol

We are talking about Cold starts and batteries not Hp "DARTH"

Can you even drive a Camaro I mean its not a Vibe :lol:

·
Registered
358 Posts
My Camaro is SOOO hot, I never have to worry about the battery cooling off. Even sitting on a block of ice in the trunk. 450 HP and counting.

BTW, when it gets up to 26 above around here we take off the big coats and go for a swim in lake Michigan.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My Camaro is SOOO hot, I never have to worry about the battery cooling off. Even sitting on a block of ice in the trunk. 450 HP and counting.

BTW, when it gets up to 26 above around here we take off the big coats and go for a swim in lake Michigan.
You have been around Scott to much.

As for the swimming in cold water............ No comment lol.

Hmmm 451 rwhp? Same as I lol.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
I have a lake in my backyard so its always nearly 6 to 8 degrees cooler at my house. We had snow Sunday however it didnt stick.
We are having an artic blast this week highs in high 20's lows in teens in some places. My Garage gets hit from the North wind off the lake so that metal garage door doesnt insulate anything .

I'm actually working on building a new house as we speak they break ground when it warms up. My next 40x40 shop will soon or later be blown in insulated.

I'm going to Hook up my Camaro on its battery tender when I get home tonight.

That makes sense im just curious why Trucks get battery thermal socks ( whatever they are called ) and Camaro's dont.

I also wonder if Camaros up north get different batteries than cars that come down south do. I know if you walk into a autopart store up north yalls batteries are high cold cranking amp batteries where down here they dont stock many of those since normally it doesnt get real cold.

Scott its not because his car was sold by you and mine was sold by Well lol SHUDDUP Caveman ;) :lol:
im planning on building beginning of next year. use our products for your garage and your house in general. tell you heating and A/C installer you want Thermo products for your house www.thermopan.com :thumbsup: ill hook you up.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I use a battery tender on everything that's going to sit a good while. Never an issue, even in the cold.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
My son went New Years day -10 wind chill

OK, back to warm battery talk....

By the way, I used to ALWAYS run a voltage stabilizer.... You'd be surprised how they clean up the current :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
IF my Car isnt going to be used I put mine as well on the battery tender however if its nice weather meaning DryI dont mind getting mine out and driving it to work.

I got off of work earlier and went by and had the battery tested it shows the car is charging ( of course its a New car) and the Battery was good however the battery had a 48% charge on it. I'm taking it home and putting the battery tender on it.
Lately I have been driving it quite a bit except when it rained.snowed the other day the sudden shock of temps below 20 in the morning gave it a slow sluggish start this morning. I'm wondering if the weight of oil ( thicker oil ) can cause a car to have a sluggish start on top of a battery that needs charged. Also the guy at Oriley told me that from the sound of it my 12 minute drive to work then park isnt enough to recharge the battery........ I can always drive around a few minutes more if I have to I guess lol

Is that battery tender a heater? Those make a HUGE difference.

battery heater is that one of those thermal wraps that you plug in and it keeps the battery at a certain temp ?

The battery tender everyone is speaking of works great when its plugged in to the battery of course. They trickle charge the battery then go into storage mode and when it needs to charge it kicks off then goes back into storage mode. I have 2 I just dont normally use mine when im going to use it the next day kind of a PIA to unplug the thing at 4:15am in the morning everyday if im going to drive the car. guess im going to start doing this now lol

im planning on building beginning of next year. use our products for your garage and your house in general. tell you heating and A/C installer you want Thermo products for your house www.thermopan.com :thumbsup: ill hook you up.
Hmmm interesting after I get the garage built ( after house of course lol ) and the electricity gets done im going to worry about the shop. im going to have 3 doors. 2 in the front 1 large wide enough to pull two cars in and then another large enough to pull 1 car in. At the back im going to have 1 large door it will be there for on hot days I can leave the front 2 closed since thats where the heat comes in and open the back on to let air/breeze come in.

im getting a Family friend who does this for a living help me build it thats how im lucky to get one of these. Call it my Camaro Man cave :lol:

Thanks for the link btw

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thicker oil definitely affects startability in cold weather...and driving the car longer is also good so you get the oil temperature up to properly remove and burn off internal moisture. My poor neighbor (poor guy, Ford parts manager) only drove like 3 miles to work, we got into his engine and it was gunk city; he started taking out of the way loops to work after we cleaned it out.

·
Registered
588 Posts

They should all come from the factory with the same battery. Only difference would be the replacement ones.

I believe it is the thicker oil weight. I used to change the oil in my 1983 Bonneville, and I remember in the winter that stuff poured like Molasses (10W-30) it didn't take much to do it either (anywhere near freezing).

Have you ever put batteries in the freezer for around the house? They actually seem to work better.

·
Banned
23 Posts
Ha, Texas and snow...two words that should not be in the same sentence , but it's funny when they are....lol.

·
Registered
588 Posts

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
IF my Car isnt going to be used I put mine as well on the battery tender however if its nice weather meaning DryI dont mind getting mine out and driving it to work.

I got off of work earlier and went by and had the battery tested it shows the car is charging ( of course its a New car) and the Battery was good however the battery had a 48% charge on it. I'm taking it home and putting the battery tender on it.
Lately I have been driving it quite a bit except when it rained.snowed the other day the sudden shock of temps below 20 in the morning gave it a slow sluggish start this morning. I'm wondering if the weight of oil ( thicker oil ) can cause a car to have a sluggish start on top of a battery that needs charged. Also the guy at Oriley told me that from the sound of it my 12 minute drive to work then park isnt enough to recharge the battery........ I can always drive around a few minutes more if I have to I guess lol

battery heater is that one of those thermal wraps that you plug in and it keeps the battery at a certain temp ?

The battery tender everyone is speaking of works great when its plugged in to the battery of course. They trickle charge the battery then go into storage mode and when it needs to charge it kicks off then goes back into storage mode. I have 2 I just dont normally use mine when im going to use it the next day kind of a PIA to unplug the thing at 4:15am in the morning everyday if im going to drive the car. guess im going to start doing this now lol

Hmmm interesting after I get the garage built ( after house of course lol ) and the electricity gets done im going to worry about the shop. im going to have 3 doors. 2 in the front 1 large wide enough to pull two cars in and then another large enough to pull 1 car in. At the back im going to have 1 large door it will be there for on hot days I can leave the front 2 closed since thats where the heat comes in and open the back on to let air/breeze come in.

im getting a Family friend who does this for a living help me build it thats how im lucky to get one of these. Call it my Camaro Man cave :lol:

Thanks for the link btw
when your house gets up and they do the insulation and house wrap, tell them to use our house wrap and roof wrap. it will save you a bunch on your A/C in the summer. keeps out UV rays. dont use tyvec. thats stuff is worthless as a UV barrier. good as a vapor barrier, but ours is better :D

i need to find me about 5 acres. i plan on building a ranch and having a 3 car attatched and a deep and wide 2 car detatched....for the toys:D cant wait. the wife is starting to get excited now.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts