Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this isn't a Jeep forum, but it's still car stuff, and i need some advice.

I was poking around the jeep today, found some black clots coating the sides of my coolant tank, picked one up and squeezed, appeared to be oil or grease of some kind... My best guess is that the head gasket is starting to go, i noticed the stuff before i left MD; made it to TX just fine, but didn't put two and two together until today, gonna do some double checking later via the oil cap and dipstick, but I'm not losing too much oil, doesn't burn half as bad as my cherokee did; any idea how much time i've got? gone through about half a quart it looks like, I'll get an exact figure later once it's cooled down, but i haven't filled it in two weeks and 400 miles..

Anybody know some good shops in south TX? I dunno if i will tackle the job, but the head will need some machining. (And sorry for all the commas, I'm not thinking in sentences right now)

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
If it's on your coolant tank, and not in it, that's not a head gasket. That's an oil leak somewhere else that blew onto your coolant tank (I assume you're referring to the white overflow bottle when you say coolant tank?)

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's on your coolant tank, and not in it, that's not a head gasket. That's an oil leak somewhere else that blew onto your coolant tank (I assume you're referring to the white overflow bottle when you say coolant tank?)
yeah, just the reservoir, but what else could blow in? I had a PCV issue that was dumping oil into the filter as well, but i replaced the lines and valve. I'm game for not doing a head gasket though! :lol: I was planning on buying a lift kit tonight lmao

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
It COULD be a valve cover gasket or something simple. Could be the anything really...front of the oil pan, the O Ring behind the crank pully, etc...Usually if it's crusted on it's an old leak. Head gaskets don't usually leak outside the engine. They just turn your oil pearly, or your coolant milky.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Something to think about, if someone else was fighting a leak and put stop leak in the coolant, that is what is does when it gets out of the actual coolant. It turns a mushy black color. Dexcool in GM coolant does the same thing. Test... take another sample, mix it in some coolant and see if it mostly dissolves.. if so, you will have your answer.

Note: This is only if it was found on the inside of the coolant jug, not outside of coolant jug,
BIll

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It COULD be a valve cover gasket or something simple. Could be the anything really...front of the oil pan, the O Ring behind the crank pully, etc...Usually if it's crusted on it's an old leak. Head gaskets don't usually leak outside the engine. They just turn your oil pearly, or your coolant milky.
Allright... well that makes some sense. I couldn't really fathom how I'd gotten nearly 2k miles on a bad head gasket, i noticed the stuff for the first time when i was changing a busted radiator the day after i pulled it out of the paint shop, I then drove something like 500 miles to OC Maryland and back, then drove to Erie Pa from south of Gettysburg, turned east, went to the Jersey Shore, turned west again back to MD. And then I drove 1600 miles from MD to Texas. So idk, but it seems like a head would've gotten far worse.. i didn't burn any unusually large amounts of oil over my trip to Texas, maybe a quart if i remember, but that's not unusual for an old car.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
Change the antifreeze and trade it.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Change the antifreeze and trade it.
:lol:

Hahaha, maybe a better financial move, but not happening lol, I'm thinking of throwing a little lift on it actually.. I need new shocks anyways, gonna run me 120 bucks for good ones, might as well get the 80 dollar body lift :D

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
Then swap in a small block?

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nah, i think it'll be alright, the oil level hasn't changed in 400 miles and 2 weeks, if it was something serious, it'd be moving fast. My Cherokee needed a quart every week when the rear main seal was going, but i initially thought a lot more oil was missing.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
I'd take it over to the car wash and degrease the engine bay and get rid of all that crud. Also, there is an additive for oil and water that gives it a UV property, so if you clean all the old stuff out of the bay, put the additive in your oil and/or water, then take a blacklight to it after you've run a few miles, you can see where the leak is coming from.

·
8,984 Posts
:lol:

Hahaha, maybe a better financial move, but not happening lol, I'm thinking of throwing a little lift on it actually.. I need new shocks anyways, gonna run me 120 bucks for good ones, might as well get the 80 dollar body lift :D
Let me know if you need a shop in the south.

Pass on the body lift, well unless you are going to get chrome fender vents and some 20" Avanti's, then yeah, get the body lift. :lol: A 1" body lift is all that I would ever run, and that would only be for xfer case clearance.

There are some very affordable 2-4" suspension lifts out there.:thumbsup:

Do you have the Aluminum valve cover or the plastic; I would assume the plastic by your year, but most Jeeps have been modified in one way or another. If you have the plastic, get the Aluminum and a quality gasket and change it after you degrease and power wash as mentioned above.

I know it is the popular answer, but for offroad, just like road racing, sometimes a 50:50 balance is better. The straight six 258 is a BAD A55 engine and can easily go for 300,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Let me know if you need a shop in the south.

Pass on the body lift, well unless you are going to get chrome fender vents and some 20" Avanti's, then yeah, get the body lift. :lol: A 1" body lift is all that I would ever run, and that would only be for xfer case clearance.

There are some very affordable 2-4" suspension lifts out there.:thumbsup:

Do you have the Aluminum valve cover or the plastic; I would assume the plastic by your year, but most Jeeps have been modified in one way or another. If you have the plastic, get the Aluminum and a quality gasket and change it after you degrease and power wash as mentioned above.

I know it is the popular answer, but for offroad, just like road racing, sometimes a 50:50 balance is better. The straight six 258 is a BAD A55 engine and can easily go for 300,000 miles.
lol, well too late for the body lift, i'm just trying to clear 31s and it'll get me the clearance i need. I figure it's 80 bucks and a few hours work, if i don't like it, i'll buy the stock mounts again as they're corroded anyways and get a suspension kit. Shocks cost me more than the actual lift components :lol:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd take it over to the car wash and degrease the engine bay and get rid of all that crud. Also, there is an additive for oil and water that gives it a UV property, so if you clean all the old stuff out of the bay, put the additive in your oil and/or water, then take a blacklight to it after you've run a few miles, you can see where the leak is coming from.
not a bad idea, but the jeep runs strong as ever, no sense fixing what isn't broke lmao. My eventual plan is to swap the engine/transmission as i appear to already have some leakage at both ends of the tranny. Nothing too significant, but means doing the tranny fluid a little more often than i'd like to :lol:

·
8,984 Posts
You're gonna hate it. or you should anyway...:lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts