Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been to several car shows and would like to know what is it that judges are looking for when they select a car for a trophy? I know there are different classes but it always seems that the older classic cars always get chosen for everything. The camaros that do win usually are chosen for modern muscle and have superchargers. All the other newer cars seem to get passed by.

·
Bully Proof
7,086 Posts
It kinda depends on what kind of car show you're talking about. The smaller parking lot shows are based on the buddy system and you have to attend quite a few and become part of their crowd before you're ever going to do any real winning...since the judges are the actual participants...and being a girl doesn't help much.

While the convention center shows are more about the over all cohesiveness of the car and it's modifications...so if your car doesn't appear well thought out...you're gonna be screwed. These types of shows also give some consideration to the time and effort put into the presentation of the car itself...as in how nice is the display and does it work with and for the car.

The large parking lot shows fall somewhere in between because the display is less important but the appearance and modifications are more important since the judges are usually men that have been modifying cars for a long time so they generally want to see some power added and they don't care so much about appearance mods although they do like an upgraded interior.

I don't even mess with the small parking lot type of shows because I have no interest in hanging around all day and schmoozing with a bunch of good ol' boys...and I don't mean that to be a negative statement...I just don't know how else to describe them. I only enter convention center shows because the judges are more (but not totally) impartial.

I had a little advantage when I entered my first car show at the Dallas Convention Center...because I've shown dogs all my life and I know a little about what it takes to catch the attention of some judges. The show was back in 2010 when the Camaro was still fairly new and it highlighted the Camaro so there were many and mostly SSs entered (plus all kinds of other cars). But we (Envy and I) walked away as Judge's Choice for Best in Show which literally shocked the crap out of me. :D And as you can see...I had no display or story board because we weren't even done with her build yet.

[URL="
[/URL]

·
Premium Member
8,645 Posts
Down here in Alabama i am still trying to figure that out :confused:
My Camaro usually draws the most crowd to it usually has the most pictures taken of and with it plus gets a boat load of compliments and i have yet to win anything but participation plaques. Oh well i still enjoy going to them...:thumbsup:

·
3,081 Posts
Cleanliness is almost always a MUST!! Mods and individuality are important as well. You want to be different than other people with your mods. I have found that if you have things like no one else it sticks in the judges minds.....

Attachments

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Interesting ... Envy won but you dont know why ... bamaproshop didnt win and didnt know why. This seems to align with Envy's assessment that it is sort of a [email protected] I do like the question as, as a newbie, it sounds like a good forum question. I haven't been to anything yet, central va isnt really the hot bed for car shows, but at some point I want to go, more or less to get ideas. I have a long way to enter.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have been participating in car shows pretty much my whole life. None are ever the same and there is never truly a set standard on judging criteria. Judges can be fickle or corrupt. All in all, its about enjoying your car and others. That being said detail your car and put on a smile.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the insight. Just started attending car shows about a year ago. I go mostly to enjoy the company of fellow camaro owners but do also like to show off my car. Don't really go with the intent to win a trophy but it sure would be nice if I did :)

·
Bully Proof
7,086 Posts
Interesting ... Envy won but you dont know why ... bamaproshop didnt win and didnt know why. This seems to align with Envy's assessment that it is sort of a [email protected] I do like the question as, as a newbie, it sounds like a good forum question. I haven't been to anything yet, central va isnt really the hot bed for car shows, but at some point I want to go, more or less to get ideas. I have a long way to enter.
I know why I won...because the judges told me why. I was just shocked because it was my very first car show...and I had to show dogs for almost 30 years before winning a BIS. The judges felt that my car was very well modified and that the modifications enhanced the overall look and/or appearance of the car. I do agree with Scott that mods, appearance and individualty are very important as is how well the car is detailed because that is part of the overall presentation. I don't think a smile is all that important since I haven't been present at any of the car shows Envy has been entered in because I had to work...yet Envy has done well at every show I put her in except for the one parking lot show where she was basically overlooked...even though I was present for that one with a big smile on my face wearing the tiniest shorts I own. :D But all the other gentleman did get a kick out of taking pictures of me (the only woman entrant) as I hugged the Hooter's girl when she handed me the small trophy...lol

·
Livin' the dream!
573 Posts
Judged shows are a crap shoot. Been to several and judges are usually biased to club members or locals.

Participant shows are a crap shoot. I've been shut out 2 years in a row in my hometown and I ALWAYS have the cleanest car in the show.

I'm not complaining though. My first year was 2011 in car shows and Domino took 9 trophies home. Most were People's Choice or Best in Class.

Last year she took home 22 trophies a lot of Best in Class, Best Late Model, and People's Choice.

Go, have fun, be excited when talking about your car, and NEVER leave your car unattended.

Cleanliness is a must, but I never clean inside my wheel wells. If judges/people don't like it... too bad cuz I actually drive my car (s).

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Judged shows are a crap shoot. Been to several and judges are usually biased to club members or locals.

Participant shows are a crap shoot. I've been shut out 2 years in a row in my hometown and I ALWAYS have the cleanest car in the show.

I'm not complaining though. My first year was 2011 in car shows and Domino took 9 trophies home. Most were People's Choice or Best in Class.

Last year she took home 22 trophies a lot of Best in Class, Best Late Model, and People's Choice.

Go, have fun, be excited when talking about your car, and NEVER leave your car unattended.

Cleanliness is a must, but I never clean inside my wheel wells. If judges/people don't like it... too bad cuz I actually drive my car (s).
never leave car? or never leave car open n unlocked?

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
Judges are either looking for their friends, or looking for whoever threw the most sponsored stuff on their car. That simple.

·
Bully Proof
7,086 Posts
If you're the type of person that's going to freak out at a small scratch or something similar appearing on your car then never ever enter a car show without some type of barrier to keep people from touching your car. Because people will touch your car even though it says not too and they often cause damage with their jewelry or belt buckles or children without meaning too.

Judges are either looking for their friends, or looking for whoever threw the most sponsored stuff on their car. That simple.
I disagree with that statement. Envy has won awards at various auto shows here in Dallas and she didn't have a single part on her from O'Reilly's or Summit Racing or Weld Racing or Meguiar's or any of the other sponsor of any of the shows she was entered in...nor do I know one single judge...and as I mentioned before I wasn't present at any of the shows so she certainly didn't win on my looks...lol.

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
It' a generalization, Hillary. There are always a few good ones out there....and the rest can be bought.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I personally like to go to shows that are diverse. I don't just do camaro shows or cars that meet a certain requirement. To me, its not fun because I like looking at other cars and plus I think that's where you get into a lot of the picky and buddy-buddy like atmosphere. I just got back from a 2 day car show in Freeport, Texas and took away a trophy. I was shocked I got one but I also went in not thinking I'd get one.

·
Livin' the dream!
573 Posts
Both!!! If my wife and I want to walk around and look at other cars, my buddy will watch our cars or my wife will watch them.

I ALWAYS leave windows up and doors locked. It's bad enough with smokers leaving their ashes all over your car without letting them stick their heads inside with cigarettes dangling from their mouths.

I say if you're going to smoke at car shows, do it around your own car. Butt out if you're around someone else's.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's been said before but is important to say again and again...

CLEAN!

Even in "can't see" or "hard to see" areas: inside rims, deep down in engine compartment, door hinges etc etc etc.

Nothing in trunk except a presentation such as brouchure, window sticker, mod-book etc.

Have a first aid kit and fire extinguisher (required at a few shows, bonus points at many shows)

Frequently you are able to look at the point sheet prior to judging.... that should help you figure out what to do.

Because not everyone knows what a stock interior, engine compartment, or even the exterior close up looks like I show before and after pics of mine / the pics of work in progress of the vented fenders and quarters.... before and after of painting of the interior / console.... I make sure they know how much I've actually done.... I don't want them to assume I just added a factory option.

Be at your car for judging....

windows down? Trunk open? Hood open? usually but the instructions at beginning of show frequently will spell this out.

Most of all, have fun...

Good Luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
It really is a crap shoot plain and simple. I took home 12 trophies in my first yr of showing a completl stock v6 camaro last yr. Some shows I did good at and others the judges wouldnt even consider my car worthy of being in their show. Totally depends on the show and judges on a particular day. My advice is go have fun and enjoy your car and at the end of the day be happy you own a CAMARO the best car on the planet!!!

·
Support MC & Troops
11,799 Posts
First off, I'd like to wish you the best... I think's you'll get their soon... never give up !
Second I agree w/mainly every-one, theirs the bad & good, having fun helps a lot too.
I did our Boise Roadster show (6yrs), I won something every year, presentation works,
some kid of board/plaque that states all the work you have done and any info that you
can add that the common person wouldn't know.. is great IMO
A big smile might help too ;), wishing U/B/O luck, share pics once you win :thumbsup:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
It's been said before but is important to say again and again...

CLEAN!

Even in "can't see" or "hard to see" areas: inside rims, deep down in engine compartment, door hinges etc etc etc.

Nothing in trunk except a presentation such as brouchure, window sticker, mod-book etc.

Have a first aid kit and fire extinguisher (required at a few shows, bonus points at many shows)

Frequently you are able to look at the point sheet prior to judging.... that should help you figure out what to do.

Because not everyone knows what a stock interior, engine compartment, or even the exterior close up looks like I show before and after pics of mine / the pics of work in progress of the vented fenders and quarters.... before and after of painting of the interior / console.... I make sure they know how much I've actually done.... I don't want them to assume I just added a factory option.

Be at your car for judging....

windows down? Trunk open? Hood open? usually but the instructions at beginning of show frequently will spell this out.

Most of all, have fun...

Good Luck.
I agree with you all...but this mainly sticks out for me. It's all about details and the little things. Like was said, make sure every nook and cranny is clean. And you want it evenly cleaned. So if your steering wheel is nice, clean, and shining, but the corner of your door jamb isn't, well that's gonna detract. Also, maybe do something that will stand out. Like perhaps make a brochure or a small print out of all the details...like when you bought the car, what mods you did, etc. Maybe include pics of the mods before and after you installed them. Bring your receipts. And you also should keep the under carriage as clean as reasonable possible. Even wiping dirt and dust off the tire treads may help. While you're out there maybe keep a wipe or a rag (if it's allowed) just in case you see something or if someone gets their fingerprints all over your car. And if all else fails, maybe toss the judge a couple beers, lol!!

·
Premium Member
8,645 Posts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts