Modern Camaro Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What are upcharges?

4K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  OverAnxious 
#1 ·
Hi,

I made it very clear to my dealer that I won't pay over msrp, and he was cool with that, but then at the end of the conversation, he used the word upcharges. What exactly was he reffering to? Is this just dealer talk for soemthing I shouldn't worry about?

#2 ·
what he is possibly talking to you about is basically dealer mark up.like how many dealers charge more for a car BECAUSE NOT ONLY can they get away with it but it's a quote un quote "HOT CAR"

#6 · (Edited)
Crap, I paid up charges. You couldn't get a Challenger or Camaro in my town without paying one.....$2000 for the Camaro and $5000 for the Challenger. Dealers have done this forever in my area, if you want a new production model.

If you buy one off the lot the Camaro will be $5000 above list. They are getting 8 for next year and I ordered the 3rd one.

I priced Challengers in OKC, Dallas, and Ft. Worth too get one $5000 to $7000for the small 5.7 L. The 6.1 are not available but will be $15000.

I did hear about Classic in Dallas letting them go for list after I ordered mine. I know, I know, a computer is your friend!!!

#9 · (Edited)
You sir, fail....

There ARE dealers across the country who will not "upcharge" or "tact list"...

There are dealers here in Orlando who wanted 5,000+...it is not hard to drive an extra 20-50 miles to a dealer who WILL work with you..not only that, you can order from a separate dealer, such as scotty who will give you at or below MSRP and PAY a destination or "transport" fee...but that is 250-500 bucks, and wow you just saved 1,500 minimum. If you get below MSRP..hell you just saved 2,000 and up...I have a HARD time grasping the concept that someone has enough money in their life that they wouldn't mind having an extra 2,000 dollars or more. Hell, thats almost a year of college for your kids...........almost

You are saying you heard Classic going at list?...this is because you failed to do research and failed to make an effort, and you are the reason dealers GET AWAY and will continue to price the way they do....thank you

#7 ·
I've never heard that before...maybe the dealer fees for registration/inspection etc??? I'd give him a call and ask him to clarify.

#8 ·
I just remembered that I have a supplier discount code from my work. Asumeing it can be used for this car, it should knock off a good $3k-$4k. Can disounts be combined, like if I have a friend that has a GM connection? Or is it just one disount at a time?

#23 ·
well i have just like camaro scottyworked as a sales rep at dealerships(Mitsubishi,chevy,chrysler,linclon,mercury,mazda)and only mitsubishi,chrysler have used "upcharges" only used on the EVO X GSR,MR AND 300C SRT-8,GRAND CHEROKEE SRT-8 AND THEY DID NOT EXCEED 5000 OVER LIST.However i have seen a few ford dealers STILL "upcharging" for shelbys ,last time i saw one they wanted 15k over list. but i agree with many of you.YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY OVER WHAT YOU WANT TO PAY.

#12 ·
if it was me...I'd say...either put it in writing that I will pay MSRP or give me my deposit back. Tell him other dealers are willing to do that.

On my sales agreement...under vehicle price it says "MSRP".

#16 ·
You are not the ONLY reason..so I apologize if I made it sound as such....just people like you, with you included...

There are a few things I find down right odd about everything you are saying..one being that you just stated Classic sells at MSRP in Dallas. I lived 20 miles south of Dallas, and the drive from Dallas to anywhere in North Texas isnt that bad... so your destination charge was tops $500. (Unless you are just North of El paso).

You will only have a new camaro before me if your carrier by chance arrives at the dealer before my ordered vehicle does. I had to shop around, yes...but finding MSRP was not difficult. Dallas and Orlando are very similar as far as allocation and population... I have my SS2/RS at MSRP after shopping around and in writing with a $500 deposit (refundable). If mine is not in stone, then yours surely isnt either....

UCF is 131.71 per credit hour....x15 (which most students wont do) you have just around $1,900. If I said year, I apologize...I was intending a full semester. I am sure Texas tuition is more, they are a step ahead of the whole country....hence the TRUE reason you paid 2,000 over....you have a better car than the rest of us...

If you have money to throw around more power to you...but someone just put there hands in your back pocket n stole (20) $100 bills

#17 ·
Delivery would not be early with Classic having already sold 15 units, there is no refund on the $1000 I have spent on a deposit. I have paid to get what I believe to be a earlier delivery.

The true reason I paid $2000 more is health related having heart surgery this week and didn't want the hassel of dealers. I have already done scouting, I don't think I will have a better car than anyone... I just think some cops are full of **** and are horses butts. The fact remains you work at being a horses butt!!

#19 ·
Then the correct response should have been "I paid 2000 over because of a health condition and the annoyance of sales people drive me crazy"...I am right there with you on that....but the incorrect response is "you wont find MSRP".

I am assuming you have everything in writing, and thats great, but does a $1000 depost with no refund not sound suspicious to you? Like they just took your money because you may find "hidden fees" when the vehicle arrives....same thing happend to my buddy with the challenger..they took his money knowing they would tact even more than $2,000 and just keep tacting once the thing rolled on the lot and one jack ass was willing to pay 50k for it.

The fact that you think I am "horses butt" because I served this country and now am a cop is perfectly fine, stupid ass hell, but fine. You wonder why some cops have a "police vs them" mentality. I am not a traffic unit, I have a dog in the back of my car...so I don't write tickets, it would be a waste of my unit. I am the guy that actually comes to your house when someone is breaking your door down....

Relax, Again I find it odd that I am trying to give you advice that can easily be avoided with dealers, and when I poke holes in what you say you resort to calling me a "horses butt", and of the names ive been called that sir is the first....

If they dont offer you MSRP...you walk out, theres no stress. I want "X" amount for this camaro..."well sir we want to add this and this....and this car is rare so we have to add this....." That is your que to walk. There is no stress, in fact its rather humorous.

But hey, no hard feelings....just remember when you dial emergency an army of horse butt's will be on your front lawn.

#18 · (Edited)
Just go back in there and straight up ask the salesman what he meant by upcharges. If he gives you some "beat around the bush" answer, ask to speak with the sales manager. If you finally realize that they are trying to conceive a way to rip you off, ask for your deposit back. Simple as that.

...and to Texhoss: A fool and his money are soon parted. Good luck with having paid more to have it supposedly sooner. Some people are willing to wait an extra week. Good thing for the dealers, there are those who simply can't.

#20 ·
Up charges sounds like something the dealer should explain.

I paid $2k down on my Camaro. I don't care about the amount of the down because I am buying the car.

When I left the Dealer, I left with a signed order delineating all charges and their amounts:

Vehicle Price
Tax
Title fee
Documentation fee
Subtotal
(less Down payment)
Amount due

The subsequent 11 pages include a signed and dated agreement to purchase and 10 pages of Camaro Configuration details.

There is no question what I am paying, and there is NO line anywhere indicating dealer upcharges.

#24 · (Edited)
Quote:
"The fact that you think I am "horses butt" because I served this country and now am a cop is perfectly fine, stupid ass hell, but fine. You wonder why some cops have a "police vs them" mentality. I am not a traffic unit, I have a dog in the back of my car...so I don't write tickets, it would be a waste of my unit. I am the guy that actually comes to your house when someone is breaking your door down....

Relax, Again I find it odd that I am trying to give you advice that can easily be avoided with dealers, and when I poke holes in what you say you resort to calling me a "horses butt", and of the names ive been called that sir is the first....

If they dont offer you MSRP...you walk out, theres no stress. I want "X" amount for this camaro..."well sir we want to add this and this....and this car is rare so we have to add this....." That is your que to walk. There is no stress, in fact its rather humorous.

But hey, no hard feelings....just remember when you dial emergency an army of horse butt's will be on your front lawn."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

There you go Sir.....earning that Horses Butt name again putting words in my mouth. You don't know what I have done in my vehicle search, you weren't in on my deal and I have known the man since Jr. High School. I did check today with one other Dealer in this area that has 3 dealerships, they have never been competive and wanted $2500 above list with 3 open vehicles left. You don't know how much I wanted the car....and when and why I wanted it, and the money is mine to please my desire. The money was not "stolen 20 one hunderd bills". The economic conditions in North Texas usually don't suffer as badly as other regions. Look at my first post here Challenger are going at $5000 to $7000 for a 5.7 Hemi and The 6.1 is $15000 above list.

Your military record has no bearing with your writing and attitude regarding my car deal. I thank you for your service. I have many law enforcement friends, hunted with them, eaten and partied with them, raised and given money to their youth programs. They have protected my property and have my respect and admiration for them. It's your attitude deal with it...it is not new to me! You know there are no hard feelings toward you!!

#25 ·
If a friend made you pay $2,000 over id serious re-evaluate that friendship. For the sake of this thread and the fact that you will have another new story and twist on your 4th response...we will just stop here...

I am not sure if you did research after you went or before, said we have no idea what you went through, but found MSRP after your purchase....or if its health...amazing economy in Texas that is completely detacted from the rest of us even though the Challenger sells exactly at 15k over here, just like it does there, in NY, North Carolina, California and the rest of this country.....or a friend...its a different story each time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.