Modern Camaro Forums banner

What are V6 real world experiences

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Alabama Camaro 
#1 ·
Those of you who already have a V6, can you give me your honest real world impressions.

What kind of MPG do you seem to be getting. I see estimates every where from 17/24 to 18/29. I'm sure that the numbers might be off a little right now because being so new I know my foot will be a little heavier now than it will be in another year or so.

What about the sound? I know it's not a V8 but does it still sound some what like a muscle car or more like 350z or G37 type car. I'm sure one of the first things I'll do is put an exhaust on it and I'm hoping it won't sound like a rice burner. Hopefully more like a race ready Porsche than a 16 year old's Honda with a 6" round muffler.

It sounds like the power is pretty good from what I've read so far. Any regrets about not paying the extra for the V8?

I haven't been able to test drive or ride in a V6 yet and I'm just trying to reassure myself that I shouldn't be regretfull that I bought the V6 instead of stepping up to the V8. Right now it only makes sense for me to get the V6 since it will be a daily drive, less sticker price, cheaper insurance, cheaper gas, and 3 boys that will probably take over the car in the next 8 - 10 yrs. However, I can only imagine if my dad would've bought a First Gen Camaro brand new and had to get the 295 HP 350 vs the 375 HP 396. At the time it might have been better for him using the same reasons I mentioned but now I would be thanking him for getting one in the first place but really wishing he would've paid the extra $$$ for the big boy on the block.

I also wonder if it would be smart to get my hands on a V8 before the government kills them within the next 5 yrs. That might make the SS worth more or at least hold it's value 10 yrs from now.

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm confused. She says she drove a 1LT. She also says it had ambient lighting, so that would be 2LT. But then she says cloth interior, back to 1LT. Well whatever 1.5LT hybrid she was driving, at least she liked it.

#4 ·
I love mine

First off let me say I have owned a 1970 chevelle with a 425 horse 383, a 1964 chevelle with a 500 horse 427 and a 1966 el camino with a 400 horse 383. I know what a hot rod feels like.That being said I am very happy with my V-6 camaro. This little motor feels like a stout little 350 that we all built to put in our first hot rods. it pulls great and makes the car feel quicker and more nimble than you would think it should. Any time any of by buds(and they are hot rod guys) gives me a hard time about buying a V-6 I take them for a ride and every single time they get out smiling and shaking they head in disbelief that it has a V-6. I have 1200 miles on it and I still get out of it with a grin on my face. My wife calls it "My Yellow Prozac" If you drive it hard you will get 21-22 MPH. I Made an effort to baby it and see how high I could get out of the last tank and I got 31.2 on the computer, backed up by 29.9 with pen and paper. That was hwy miles 55 to 70 with the cruise on at all times. Hope this helps. I was in the same boat as you. I was not going to waste my money on a V-6 camaro, But I was lucky because a friend at the dealership talked me into driving the V-6 that they got in for the showcar so I had the first shot at buying it. After that I put a grand down and it was mine.

#8 ·
First off let me say I have owned a 1970 chevelle with a 425 horse 383, a 1964 chevelle with a 500 horse 427 and a 1966 el camino with a 400 horse 383. I know what a hot rod feels like.That being said I am very happy with my V-6 camaro. This little motor feels like a stout little 350 that we all built to put in our first hot rods. it pulls great and makes the car feel quicker and more nimble than you would think it should. Any time any of by buds(and they are hot rod guys) gives me a hard time about buying a V-6 I take them for a ride and every single time they get out smiling and shaking they head in disbelief that it has a V-6. I have 1200 miles on it and I still get out of it with a grin on my face. My wife calls it "My Yellow Prozac" If you drive it hard you will get 21-22 MPH. I Made an effort to baby it and see how high I could get out of the last tank and I got 31.2 on the computer, backed up by 29.9 with pen and paper. That was hwy miles 55 to 70 with the cruise on at all times. Hope this helps. I was in the same boat as you. I was not going to waste my money on a V-6 camaro, But I was lucky because a friend at the dealership talked me into driving the V-6 that they got in for the showcar so I had the first shot at buying it. After that I put a grand down and it was mine.
Being a muscle car guy....what do you think about the exhaust note?

My wife said to me last night that she just wanted an american muscle car with the V8 rumble. She is mostly referring to the '95 Cobra she had serveral years ago which I had put on headers, off-road X-Pipe, and a Flowmaster American Thunder system. It was one that sounded pretty mean and everyone would turn to look at what it was as you drove it down the street. Funny thing is that it sounded 10x faster than it was. I think 14.2 was the best I ever got it down the quarter mile. The V6 Camaro should do that bone stock.

#5 ·
I got the V-6 let me tell you this is a bad ass car.. It has plenty of power. Right now i am getting around 19.4 with mostly city driving. The ride is so smooth you can be doing 80 and it feels like 40 and the cabin is soooooooooooo quiet it is awesome. They did a great job on this Camaro.......

#7 ·
I drove the V6 a few weeks ago and was very happy with it.
That said, today I agreed to buy a 1SS that someone backed out of, currently at 3300.
I think I'm going to be happier, even with the various cost bumps from going with the more powerful engine.

It's your call. I would say you may be better off going with a V8 if you plan on keeping the car for an extended period of time. :thumbsup:

#9 ·
From inside the vehicle it dosen't sound that great, and by great I mean loud. It is a very quiet ride. But My wife drove it the other day and got on it when she pulled out. It sounded really good. This is going to sound weird but I would say its, 70% muscle car rumble, 20% indy car-ish, 10% Huge swarm of angry bees.
It has a very slight tinny sounding, almost like old flowmasters if you know what I mean. I will be buying aftermarket exhaust that I am sure will give it a deeper rumble like I like. I know I rambled on a little, but it is a unique exhaust note and hard to describe, but still very cool.

#11 ·
From inside the vehicle it dosen't sound that great, and by great I mean loud. It is a very quiet ride. But My wife drove it the other day and got on it when she pulled out. It sounded really good. This is going to sound weird but I would say its, 70% muscle car rumble, 20% indy car-ish, 10% Huge swarm of angry bees.
It has a very slight tinny sounding, almost like old flowmasters if you know what I mean. I will be buying aftermarket exhaust that I am sure will give it a deeper rumble like I like. I know I rambled on a little, but it is a unique exhaust note and hard to describe, but still very cool.

I would have to agree that it could use a little more deep rumble. Right now i am satisfied with stock but will one day do aftermarket

#14 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully more owner's with the V6 will continue to give their opinions as well.

More than likely the V6 will be the choice for me but I'm sure I'll test drive both before I make the ultimate decision. I just hope I don't second guess myself down the road if I choose the V6. Sounds like I'll be very happy with the V6.

I will more than likely be handing mine off to one of my sons as well. By then I'll probably have it in the 350 hp range which is way more than they will need and lets not even talk about insurance on an SS for a teenage boy.

On top of all that a 2LT/RS with all the stuff I want will be at the top of my budget as it is anyways. I'll probably be waiting to the end of the year so I can get my Yukon paid off first anyway (don't want 2 car payments). By then I'm hoping they'll be selling them for invoice.

#15 ·
On top of all that a 2LT/RS with all the stuff I want will be at the top of my budget as it is anyways. I'll probably be waiting to the end of the year so I can get my Yukon paid off first anyway (don't want 2 car payments). By then I'm hoping they'll be selling them for invoice.
Price was the final deciding factor for me. I could afford a 1SS with no options or a 2LT/RS with RJT and a sunroof. As much as I love my 2000 Z28, it was nearly a stripper model and this time I want some more options and leather.

#16 ·
The real world.

I bought my V6 as a daily driver. It's the first V6 I have ever owned. I have owned several new Mustang GT's and several 4th Generation Z28's. The fourth generation Z28 came with 275 horsepower from the factory until 1998 when the LS1 replaced the LT1.
This 2010 Camaro has 304 real world horsepower and will run with the stock 1993-1997 Z28's in the quarter mile not to mention many stock V8 Mustang's. The car get way better gas mileage than Camaro's of the past and seems to be much more technically superior in terms of fit and finish and handling. The insurance is very reasonable. I would say that unless you really want the SS you will be surprised and happy with the LT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.