Modern Camaro Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
8,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My statement from another thread that was getting off topic.......

"That has absolutely NOTHING to do with it.

It is about tradition and the type of car.

Chevrolet
Ford
Chrysler

V8

RWD

That is what muscle is about.

Take one of those variables away from the equation and it's not MUSCLE.

A SUPRA is not muscle.

A Cobalt is not MUSCLE.

Remember it.

Love it.

Preach it."

I hate to do this, but from Wikipedia:

"Muscle car is a term used to refer to a variety of high performance automobiles.[1][2] The term principally refers to American, Australian and to a lesser extent South African models. It generally describes a 2-door rear wheel drive mid-size car with a large, powerful V8 engine, and at an affordable price. Although opinions vary, it is generally accepted that classic muscle cars were produced in the late 1960s and early 1970s.[3][4][5][6] Muscle cars were built for street use and in some cases racing. They are distinct from sports cars and also from GTs, which are two-seat or 2+2 cars intended for high-speed touring/road racing. These are not generally considered muscle cars owing to their small size, relatively high cost and specialty nature. (The two-seater AMC AMX may or may not be an exception: one source queries whether it qualifies as a true muscle car or pony car,[7] but also lists it among vehicles that fit the general interpretation of both categories.[8] AMC was "never shy" about describing the car as "a genuine sports car"[9] as it was relatively inexpensive).[3]

For a definition from the muscle car era, Peter Henshaw's 2004 book Muscle Cars refers the reader to an extract from Road Test magazine’s June 1967 issue: "Just what is a Muscle Car? Exactly what the name implies. It is a product of the American car industry adhering to the hot rodder's philosophy of taking a small car and putting a BIG engine in it [...] The Muscle Car is Charles Atlas kicking sand in the face of the 98 hp (73 kW) weakling." Henshaw adds that the muscle car was designed for straight-line speed, and did not have the "sophisticated chassis", "engineering integrity" or "lithe appearance" of European high-performance cars[10]

Opinions vary as to whether high-performance full-size cars, compacts, and pony cars qualify as muscle cars.[11]

Classic muscle cars are also defined by age and country of origin. The term "muscle car" did not enter common usage until after production of the vehicles had essentially ended,[3] and American print media of the era commonly referred to them as "supercars"."

BUICK GNX YES
SUPRA NO

Get me some wanted to know so post away and we can give our opinions....

·
8,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
ok as you've stated american ,australian rwd v-8 cars acre muscle cars but you also said the GNX fits into that criteria
my argument is the Supra fits as well
IT HAS RWD
IT HAS Forced Induction
IT HAS 2 seats
It a manual transmission
also what about E55/E63/C63 AMG mercedes ALL V-8 Rwd.I'm not sure if you've heard the exhausts from these vechiles but they deffinetly sound like a muscle car except for the supra.I will admit the AMG's only have automatics but the gnx and supra were offered with one;)

·
8,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't say anything about Australian and the point that you are missing is AMERICAN.

·
Registered
461 Posts
In my opinion muscle cars are the cars from the 60's and 70's that were built for speed. American built two door, V8 powered, high horsepower, cars meant to be raced, right off the show room floor. Shoot, just do a Google image search for "muscle car" and look at what you find. Camaros, Chevelles, GTO, Superbees, Chargers, Challengers, Roadrunners, Mustangs, etc. These were the cars of the muscle car era.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts

"Muscle car is a term used to refer to a variety of high performance automobiles.[1][2] The term principally refers to American, Australian and to a lesser extent South African models. QUOTE]
didn't you post this,i know it's from wikipedia and all:lol:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sorry, just don't get into the penis-waving "MY CAR DEFINES MY MANHOOD" stuff.

I'm getting a V6 Camaro and am perfectly fine with it. Guys at work are like "you MUST get the V8!!" and I'm like "why?", "BECAUSE!!"

Eh...

·
8,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
8,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In my opinion muscle cars are the cars from the 60's and 70's that were built for speed. American built two door, V8 powered, high horsepower, cars meant to be raced, right off the show room floor. Shoot, just do a Google image search for "muscle car" and look at what you find. Camaros, Chevelles, GTO, Superbees, Chargers, Challengers, Roadrunners, Mustangs, etc. These were the cars of the muscle car era.
Exactly.

·
8,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I'm getting a V6 Camaro and am perfectly fine with it. Guys at work are like "you MUST get the V8!!" and I'm like "why?", "BECAUSE!!"

Eh...
Don't post crap like that in my thread.

I posted this to have intelligent disagreements.

·
8,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

"Muscle car is a term used to refer to a variety of high performance automobiles.[1][2] The term principally refers to American, Australian and to a lesser extent South African models. QUOTE]
didn't you post this,i know it's from wikipedia and all:lol:
TO show a different POV.:hello:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
yes and i respect your POV and i'd hope you'd do the same for me but you must admit the points i'm bringing up are valid in some ways;)

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
One example I found on the web, sums up my views :D

Muscle Car:
Sometimes called “Pony Cars” too. Big giant V8 engines with super chargers and special exhaust created these gas-guzzlers that were really fast! Muscle cars reached their epitome in the 1960’s with the advent of the GTO, certain Mustangs, Camaro’s and some Chyrsler models like the Challenger, etc. Unfortunately the “energy crisis” killed this genre of cars.

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts

Eh...
Where did you get that in this thread? :confused:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
One example I found on the web, sums up my views :D

Muscle Car:
Sometimes called “Pony Cars” too. Big giant V8 engines with super chargers and special exhaust created these gas-guzzlers that were really fast! Muscle cars reached their epitome in the 1960’s with the advent of the GTO, certain Mustangs, Camaro’s and some Chyrsler models like the Challenger, etc. Unfortunately the “energy crisis” killed this genre of cars.
:lol::lol:

but I know amongst some GM and Pontiac fans some people don't consider the last Gen GTO to be a true Goat even with the hood scoops because it was a rebadged Holden Monaro.me I try to look past where the car comes from.
If the car has either RWD or AWD,abundant power potential and aftermarket support,looks good and drives just as good if not better i'll consider it.
It doesn't matter if it comes from :patriot: or germany or japan I refuse to be close minded and I hope that one day 54inches you can experience(you don't have to own)different cars besides muscle cars.

and also btw since we're on the subject of performance and all durning the late 70's through the mid 90's would you consider 255hp from a massive 455cid v-8 a muscle car?:lol:
i mean HP was pitiful in those days,a modern 350Z has more power than that from a six cylinder

·
8,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes and i respect your POV and i'd hope you'd do the same for me but you must admit the points i'm bringing up are valid in some ways;)
Not yet.

And your points do not hold any water. Work a little harder and they might, seriously.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
To me there is muscle and modern muscle and Sports car.......

Sports car ? Camaro , Mustang , challenger , corvette.

Modern muscle ? Z06 , Gt500 or maybe a future supercharged Camaro(Z28?)

Muscle ? anything from the 60/early 70's ear that we know today as a muscle car :D

·
8,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now we are talking.

I was hoping someone SMART besides OverAnxious and Blue69 would finally chime in with a good point defining other cars.

Excellent.

·
8,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Welcome and funny first post.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.