Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Can't say I really heard about it until now. I don't know how to drive manual and have no plans to learn it. I ordered automatic (with tapshift) with my 2SS. So exactly what am I getting with this? Will I still be able to use just the center control, or is it a combonation thingy.

Thanks,
Sean W

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
No plans to learn how to drive a manual? You're missing out on a lot of fun. :D

Tapshift..it lets you sorta-manually shift gears yourself. From what I hear about those kind of transmissions is that you're pretty much suggesting that the trans switch to that gear(I've heard of them switching on their own, even in manual mode), and there is a delay in switching gears.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No plans to learn how to drive a manual? You're missing out on a lot of fun. :D

Tapshift..it lets you sorta-manually shift gears yourself. From what I hear about those kind of transmissions is that you're pretty much suggesting that the trans switch to that gear(I've heard of them switching on their own, even in manual mode), and there is a delay in switching gears.

Still not sure if I understand. I quess what I'm asking is, if I put the car in drive, do I have to mess with anything else as I drive. I don't like to think about those kind of things when I drive. Just one of the reasons I don't do manual. I drive to places, I don't race to them :screwy: . I'm not into speed like a lot of people here are.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Sean, if you put your Camaro in 'D' then it will be like any other automatic tranny. The tap shift would be for manual gear selection with the intent of holding a gear longer to redline if desired. I'm not sure of how the TapShift functions are on the Camaro, but the AutoStick in my Magnum is like night and day compared to just putting it in 'D'. It automatically downshifts as I approach a stop and will be in 1st ready to go. When going WOT, it will upshift at 6400 rpm at each gear change interval. Keeping the car in the higher rpms (more power on tap) is what makes the difference. The beauty of having both is that my wife can drive to the grocery store like she's in her Yukon XL without any animalistic redline tranny shifts or I can wind out each gear to it's max potential when I'm in the driver's seat.

To each his own, but for me it's A6 FTMFW!:roxor:

·
Premium Member
2,774 Posts
If its the paddle shifters in the wheel its like the ones in my GXP. Almost like the paddle shifters in a formula 1 race car. I have not tried mine yet but it looks like it could be fun. Basically is like Dodge's idea of the autostick. But on the steering colum and not on the shifter.

best pic I could come up with:

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Sean if you drop the automatic back into ( on Vettes its "S" mode and on Camaro's I think its "M" mode )
You can either drive it like a normal automatic or use the paddles and shift yourself.....the best part is if you are not good at the paddles and screw up the automatic steps in and puts you where you need to be even if you are RAcing.

I have had pleanty of practice behind a 2008 Corvette LS3 with an A6 and paddles. I live in "S" mode lol oh yeah and people can say oh but manuals have launch control auto dont !!!!!!! ......Guess what ? So do auto's its called Traction control lol
and its located behind the shifter you just push the button and mash on the pedal..... with traction control off the car will burn the tires and get squirmy with it on the car plants the tires and takes off just as you want it without any wheel hop !!!!!!!!!!

I agree everyone should learn how to drive a stick but when it comes to everyday driving and fun at the track I want an auto ..... I dont like losing and I dont know anyone who can out shift am automatic lol You better not miss a gear because it wont !

·
Registered
3 Posts
paddles...

Hi,

Can't say I really heard about it until now. I don't know how to drive manual and have no plans to learn it. I ordered automatic (with tapshift) with my 2SS. So exactly what am I getting with this? Will I still be able to use just the center control, or is it a combonation thingy.

Thanks,
Sean W
I had a Grand Prix 2005 GXP.
And I now drive a 2007 Corvette with the 6L80 trans., and ‘paddles shifters’ – though not called TapShift, at least not in any marketing text I recall . . .
As I understand it, and from pictures I have seen posted here, the Camaro ‘system’ is different from both the Grand Prix and from my Corvette.

In both these cars, one can see the top of paddles from the driver’s seat, and the paddles are pushed forward to shift up – and pulled back to shift down. Both paddles work the same.

In the new Camaro, one pulls back on the right ‘paddle’, to upshift, and the left one to downshift.

Cheers,
- Ray
Facing a re-learning curve, if I do buy one . . .

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sean if you drop the automatic back into ( on Vettes its "S" mode and on Camaro's I think its "M" mode )
You can either drive it like a normal automatic or use the paddles and shift yourself.....the best part is if you are not good at the paddles and screw up the automatic steps in and puts you where you need to be even if you are RAcing.

I have had pleanty of practice behind a 2008 Corvette LS3 with an A6 and paddles. I live in "S" mode lol oh yeah and people can say oh but manuals have launch control auto dont !!!!!!! ......Guess what ? So do auto's its called Traction control lol
and its located behind the shifter you just push the button and mash on the pedal..... with traction control off the car will burn the tires and get squirmy with it on the car plants the tires and takes off just as you want it without any wheel hop !!!!!!!!!!

I agree everyone should learn how to drive a stick but when it comes to everyday driving and fun at the track I want an auto ..... I dont like losing and I dont know anyone who can out shift am automatic lol You better not miss a gear because it wont !
The tapshift in the Camaro SS will not automatically shift for you if you forget, it will stop before you redline and just sit there for as long as you want before upshifting or downshifting. This gives you more feel of a manual and allows you to go above the automatics normal shiftpoints to get more torque..

·
Registered
54 Posts
If its the paddle shifters in the wheel its like the ones in my GXP. Almost like the paddle shifters in a formula 1 race car. I have not tried mine yet but it looks like it could be fun. Basically is like Dodge's idea of the autostick. But on the steering colum and not on the shifter.

best pic I could come up with:

I recently drove a Corvette with Tap-Shift. Very fun! There was a minor delay between my tap and the actual shift. However, that delay was not much longer than it would really take to push a clutch and move a stick shift.

·
Registered
256 Posts
are there going to be aftermarket paddles perhaps? like others are saying, paddles would be nice instead of these buttons. Like ones that you can see through the wheel. Im just gonna have to feel em out

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
are there going to be aftermarket paddles perhaps? like others are saying, paddles would be nice instead of these buttons. Like ones that you can see through the wheel. Im just gonna have to feel em out
It wouldn't be difficult at all to retrofit a different paddle/switch/actuator to the steering wheel since the wiring is already there. Either route you choose will still require a specific hand placement. The whole idea is to shift up and down accordingly without looking at the switches....why would you want to change the current positions?

Wait a sec.....didn't you just start a thread about switching your order from an A6 to an M6? :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.