Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I viewed the information of the new Camaro presented by GM.
One goal that stood out was a statement that they wish to sell 40-80,000 units the first year to break the Mustang hold.
That would mean:
1. They have to actually produce that number.
2. Get them into the hands of the dealers in a timely fashion.
3. Price them at Mustang prices (will production costs allow that ?)
4. Do not allow dealers to gouge buyers with first cars thus turning off prospective buyers.

It will be interesting to see if GM can pull this off or if it becomes only hype.
Most people posting here are awfully optomistic concerning the car. GM must market the Camaro at least as well as Ford does the Mustang. A year from now we will know how it happened.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Agree. I think GM should provide electronic signs that count down the time to Camaro release... That'd be a nice gimmick.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If dealers think they can jack up the price on these things then they will screw it all up. I for one won't buy a $40k Camaro. I'll hold on to my GTO and wait. And if they keep trying to do it...then I'll pass on the car entirely..wait a couple years till the kids are out of college and buy a ZR1vette. At least I know going in to a vette that they are marked up. The 5th Gens are suppose to compete with the dime-a-dozen Mustangs. Not be some speciallty hard to get car.

I wish manufacturer's would keep dealers from doing this at all personally. It's one thing to make a fair profit...it's another to try and rape the public...but like someone said on here in another post. Some moron with too much money will always pay.

Don't be that moron....:O)

Heretic

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
They did it with the Malibu....I don't see the Camaro being any different.

First year model? Yes, I was one "of those" who always avoided the first year of any new model. Here's some news I haven't seen published - At least at OUR dealership with 20+ new Malibu's on the road, I have yet to see one in for a warranty repair. They have been in for oil changes only. I must say, I am impressed - they said quality was going to be at its highest level on this car, and they are living to their word. This IS the NEW CHEVROLET!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
very good points. . . I also will NOT buy a car over MSRP. . . When the camaro comes out and any dealer tries it . . I'll go get the Challanger. . By then they won't be charging over msrp.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I viewed the information of the new Camaro presented by GM.
One goal that stood out was a statement that they wish to sell 40-80,000 units the first year to break the Mustang hold.
That would mean:
1. They have to actually produce that number.
2. Get them into the hands of the dealers in a timely fashion.
3. Price them at Mustang prices (will production costs allow that ?)
4. Do not allow dealers to gouge buyers with first cars thus turning off prospective buyers.

It will be interesting to see if GM can pull this off or if it becomes only hype.
Most people posting here are awfully optomistic concerning the car. GM must market the Camaro at least as well as Ford does the Mustang. A year from now we will know how it happened.
1. Production will match "actual" demand
2. New Model production can have delivery delays
3. The Camaro will cost a "Premium" over the Mustang, to reflect its higher quality.
4. Dealers can sell any car for whatever they want.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
3. The Camaro will cost a "Premium" over the Mustang, to reflect its higher quality.
Please be careful saying that. If you heard GM say it, then the quote would be nice. I it's your opinion, then please say something like "I think..." before it. To me, a "premium" is a large number, and they have said that the Camaro will be priced "near" the Mustang. And by they, I mean the SS, Fbodfather himself. It's possible that things could change by production date, but until we know, then we don't know.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Don't sweat the markups. Simply don't pay them. '05 Mustang history shows that dealers will try to get hefty markup at first and then by the end of the first year run MSRP or lower. By the middle of the second year run: invoice plus a little and by the third year, invoice and rebates/financing. A little patience will save a lot of money.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Patience? What's that? :D

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
very good points. . . I also will NOT buy a car over MSRP. . . When the camaro comes out and any dealer tries it . . I'll go get the Challanger. . By then they won't be charging over msrp.

"ANY" dealer tries it??? Why not just go to the next Chevy dealer then, unless you really want the Chally. It would be dumb to wait for the Camaro to just give up cause one dealer tried to overcharge :confused:
I bet the Challys mark up will be gone before the Camaro comes out, that way you wont have to wait.

I think it would be funny if one dealer tried it and I went to another, bought one, and drove through the 1st ones lot waving. Letting them know they lost at least one sale.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Chally markup IS gone. I just got mine for 3k below invoice. Sticker said 34k, I paid 31 and some change.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Chally markup IS gone. I just got mine for 3k below invoice. Sticker said 34k, I paid 31 and some change.
really? i just saw a black srt8 and talked to the owner and he said that he bought it 13 days ago for 60 which is 19 over msrp

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
really? i just saw a black srt8 and talked to the owner and he said that he bought it 13 days ago for 60 which is 19 over msrp
The guy paid 60 large for a Chally SRT8???:screwy:That was BRILLIANT!:rotflmao:I don't think I would go around actually TELLING people that!

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Not trying to be a putz, but sticker =>(MSRP)

Invoice is not the same as sticker. Invoice is the price the dealer purchased the car from the manufacturer. MSRP is more than invoice.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
i don't think he cares but ya as soon as he told me how much i just said see ya! i couldn't stand next to somone who is that thick...

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
I think it would be funny if one dealer tried it and I went to another, bought one, and drove through the 1st ones lot waving. Letting them know they lost at least one sale.
I have a friend that did something like that. He's older, and retired. Went car shopping in jeans and a flannel shirt, tennis shoes. Went to the Porsche dealer, no one even came out to talk to him. Went to the local Chevy dealer, they wouldn't let him sit in any of the C6s they had. Drove out of town 30 miles, where they let him check out the whole car, sit in it, etc... He bought it on the spot, and drove it straight to the other dealers and told them they missed out on a sale because of their attitude. I would love to have been there for that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts