Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright. I'm making this thread to essentially ask everyone: What car got you started the Camaro? Did you own one? See one you like? If you have pics, toss 'em up! Do you still have it? If not, what happened? Here's what got me started -

Sadly, it's been gone for three years. 85 350 TBI. RIP.

Reactions: Norah

·
Registered
8 Posts
'94 Z28 got me started, bought it in '99, modded it into a 383, CNC heads, N20 beast. Sold it in '05, missing it ever since....

Really excited about the 5th gen, just wish it had T-Tops, but I'll survive ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
When I was in 4th grade I made a friend in a neighborhood right next to mine and would walk over to his house. On the way there was a nice dark blue, second gen camaro parked in one of the driveways. I always liked the way it looked. One night my friend and I were "breaking the law" and trying to stay up real late (like all kids do I guess). We heard the sound of tires screeching and then two engines. We snuck outside to see what was going on. It was about 3am and the camaro was racing what I later found out was a 3000GT. The camaro was loud as hell and beat the crap out of that ricer. When I got older and started saving for a car I wanted to buy a camaro but couldn't afford it. Now that I have a full time job, hopefully an SS in in my future.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Most of you know the story of my Camaro, but what actually got me started was my older brother's black '86 IROC. He bought it in 1997 from the first owner, a little old lady who had only put ten thousand miles or so on it. Anyway, as his science-geek 13 year old little sister, it was my duty to want to grow up to be just like him (popular, athletic, didn't care about grades, basically all the things I just can't be). My first distinct memory of wanting to buy a Camaro was after he came home at 2 a.m. and got into an argument with my dad. Afterwards, he got into his IROC that was parked alongside the curb, stood in it, managed to completely turn the car around, drive down the street, and around the corner while leaving a continuous burnout. I was the only witness to this, which made me invaluable to him (at least, when he was seeking eye-witness testimony when bragging about it). Five years later, I got a carb'd LG4 gray z28, which we thought was the perfect little-sister version of his car.

This is also why I can't get a black one. No black Camaro will ever be as bad ass as my older brother's IROC.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
In high school, my best friend had a 69 Cougar XR-7. The baddest car I had ever seen or ridden in. For graduation, I really wanted a Mustang Fastback. When I got a watch instead (which I still have), I decided to it was time to buy my own car. My first year in college, I spent most of my time buying/reading car magazines (Car Craft, Hot Rod and Super Chevy). That is when I fell in love with the Camaro. I decided on the 69. My first summer home, I went to work for Coca-Cola here in Los Angeles. I made $12 an hour and $18 an hour for all the overtime I could handle (which was about 24 hours a week - I would work doubles on Friday's). I looked at a few cars. I still kick myself in the ass (for several reasons - #1 :BangHead:) for passing on a #'s matching z28. I would have had to assemble the steering column. At 19, I wanted a car I could drive NOW. I settled for an $1100 car, 350/350 with side pipes. I spend just about every $$ I had. The side pipes were removed for dual glass packs with turn downs (#2 :BangHead:) only to discover they were Corvette pipes worth a few bucks. I had it painted, then I rear-ended a truck, replaced 2 motors (and #3 :BangHead: Never had enough money for a big-block) and then got rear-ended. It went from Santa Cruz, CA (college) to Los Angeles twice on a car trailer. I think, in retrospect, it was in the shop more than I drove it for the 5 years I owned it. Once I started teaching, I needed a car that would start every day. I sold it for $1500.

Now that I have a second chance, I want to do it right.

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
I grew up hearing about the 1967 Camaro RS/SS L78 coupe my dad raced locally. We stumbled upon it again in 1989 and bought back the race only rust free car and started the restoration. It sits in his garage most of the time, but is still solid as a rock with less than 300 actual street miles. It is the perpetual restoration project in my sig :cool:

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
My first Camaro (second car). I refreshed her in High School. 305 TBI and 700R4 from a 3rd gen. I miss her. :( Sold her when I joined the Air Force...

I had a black 86 IROC after this one, but never did get a picture of it. I had it for 3 days when someone tried to steal it TWICE. (I was trying to replace the waterpump in my apartment complex in the approximately 45 minutes of daylight I had after work...So they couldn't GO anywhere, but it didn't stop them from destroying the steering column and kicking the door in frustration)

I sold it two months later to buy my S-10:

Of course, I sold it 3 years later to buy my wife the "truck of her dreams," which I hate, especially right now:

Since then, I've had in my possession a 79Z and a 76 LT, both needed restored and had to go as soon as I bought a house that had an HOA.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My dad bought a new 67 camaro then had me in January 68, he always talked about how much he liked it. The baby buggies back then were a little bigger than today and he said they could not fit all of the baby stuff into the car so he sold it. Then he bought a new 78 which I drove on & off in high school then became all mine about a year after school. It had 130,000 miles when I got it, rebuilt it at 140,000 then put about 160,000 on it when I sold it to my cousin & now his son has it, it still has the Glasurit paint I put on it in the early 90's. I drove that car until I was 30 & have been in big cars since & now have Camaro fever again, I loved that car & there is just something about a Camaro that I can't explain.

I would not mind finding one like the weathered Z/28 above, nice car, darn HOA's.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
In high school, a friend had a 69 Z28 he put a 402 into, but saved the 302. It was a 4 speed. BEAUTIFUL car. I was in love. He got his gf pregnant and needed some cash quick. He told me $800 (yes, 800!!!) and it was mine. I wasn't fast enough with the $$ so he sold it to another guy I sorta knew but never hung around with. My chance for a pristine 69 Z at a reasonable cost was dashed...

Then, in 1981, I managed to get a 1978 Rally Sport. Red/Black. It was a neat car, but wasn't quick at all. Still, I really liked it. And a bit later, stumbled upon a black 79 Z28.

In late 81, the "new" third gens were about to come out, so I ordered a dark blue metallic one. Nice car, but after seeing a red one, I really shoulda ordered one of those, so...in 1983, I traded for a red 83 Z28. It would be 10 years before we got another one, another red Z28 in 1993.

Then in 2002, we got TWO Camaros...mine an M6 SS and hers an auto Z28. Matching pewter hardtops. Still have those. So far, IMO, the 02s were the best made vehicles out of the bunch, although the glue bleed through on the top issue did sorta suck. But overall I'm very happy with my SS.

We are going to finally get a new one without a top. But we're going to have to wait some more...

·
Registered
141 Posts
This will be my first one - I'll be 40 next summer & I could not think of a better car to begin my mid-life crisis with...

Not to mention, in the early 80's, my parent's friends had this Berlinetta that looked good, well the mother was hot as hell & I used to imagine getting her in that car & ..............

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
My best friend in HS was a ford guy and had a POS '65 mustang fastback...I wanted to be different, so I bought a '69 camaro as my first car. Lots of bondo and a 250 I6/powerglide. Yes, it was a POS, but the interior was PERFECT...there was just something about it...I loved being in it.

That was almost 20yrs ago:eek::eek::confused::confused: and that's the only Camaro I've ever owned. I've had plenty of other chevy muscle cars along the way (and even now a SN95 'stang "placeholder":eek:), but no other Camaro's. I don't have time (or patience) for another old car...so, I'm at a point of my life where I want a new car...that will (hopefully) give me that same feeling I had when I was in my Camaro.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Jesus built my hotrod, but Satan is my motor

Can you get me Satan's #. I think I have a motor that needs tweaking!

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
I've liked Camaros since I was probably 7 or 8.
Riding in the car with my parents, my dad would point one out on the road, and I'd look and go "WOAH COOL!!!"

Then as a surprise graduation gift I received a brand spankin new 1994 Z28 from my Grandma.
Took delivery May 4, 1994:

Crappy pictures, but that's the car that started my addiction!
Save for a few months, I've always had a Camaro since then. :)

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Jesus built my hotrod, but Satan is my motor

Can you get me Satan's #. I think I have a motor that needs tweaking!
sure it's 6-71

that's what I sold to make room in the garage for my 5th gen.:D And also that's what made me want something new (and a little more drive-able).

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
I've liked Camaros since I was probably 7 or 8.
Riding in the car with my parents, my dad would point one out on the road, and I'd look and go "WOAH COOL!!!"

Then as a surprise graduation gift I received a brand spankin new 1994 Z28 from my Grandma.
Took delivery May 4, 1994:

Crappy pictures, but that's the car that started my addiction!
Save for a few months, I've always had a Camaro since then. :)
That's one BAD ASS GRANDMA!

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Started with my IROC when I was 16. Had a GT for a couple years after graduating and realized I needed a LT1. I skipped the LT1 and went straight to a LS1, my 01 Z28. I was obsessed with SS's, so I found a killer deal on my 00 SS in '04. I ran into some financial trouble a year or so later, so away went my LS1's, but I bought my 91 Z28 to have something fun. Well, it was absolutely no replacement for the LS1, so I sold it and have been waiting ever since for a Camaro replacement. I've been enjoying my GTO since this past December, but it's no Camaro ;)

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Don't have a car yet, but I've liked Camaros since I knew what a car was :lol:. My brother owned a 1971 Z28 that looked a lot like this, but in Red with white stripes:

I loved the car, but he had to sell it in 2002, and then the Camaro was canceled also for 2002 :no:.... I then saw the Mustang for 2005, and thought: "why can't the Camaro come back with styling like that? Then the concept came out, and I was shocked at the edginess of the styling and I knew that as soon as people looked at it, the first thing that would pop into their minds is Camaro, and although it was just a concept, I could imagine this being on the road in the next 5 years. Now I see the production Camaro, and now I can see myself riding in it within the next 5 years. :cool:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.