Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of these may have been seen already, but for those that haven't, a guy on another site that I frequent came up with these 5th gen Firebird mockups - here's what COULD be if only... well, never mind.

Here's a mockup of what would be a 40th Anniversary 2009 Trans Am. Notice the side marker lights as a further nod to the original 69 T/A.

I'm a huge 2nd gen F body fan - yeah I know they suck as far as power goes compared to the 4th gens but they were nonetheless the most popular of all generations, and if you're an old-schooler like me you can appreciate these 5th gen mockups with some very tasteful 2nd gen T/A touches...

And if Smokey and the Bandit ever gets remade, here's a natural for the new Bandit...

·
Registered
863 Posts
Those are great chops, but if the Firebird ever comes back, it needs to be more than just a re-badged Camaro. I mean the cars will have to look substntially different and not just new body panels.

Keep an eye out for the next GTO that will be built off Camaro's chassis (ZETA). All the Zeta cars are supposed to be very different from one another. It will give us an idea for what is possible.

For Camaro, the 1st gen embodies what the car is. For Firebird, I'm not sure that is true. I think the Bandit era really is what Firebird is at its soul. So if I had to pick I'd say draw cues from the '77, though maybe not as literally as the one above. Giant bird decals aren't going to help sales (or the car's image).

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just don't see GM bringing back the firebird. Especially if they have no clue on how sales will be with the camaro.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Uploading to pic site........

·
Registered
6 Posts
:gr_patriot: you know they will never make it. GM is on a self destroy mission. seems only the imports will make the cars people want. that sucks cause i will not buy anything but american made.:homer:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are a few more different mockups from another person on the site - this one is obviously a nod to the 70-72 Lucerne Blue T/A. Notice that the B-pillar has been moved forward on these to reflect more 2nd thru 4th gen styling touches...

Here's what it would look like with T-tops...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Nice chops.....I actually think the Camaro vs. the GTO would be a good rivalry. Im a Firebird fan too, but they seem like brothers, instead of rivals. Something different in the GM lineup to "compete" with would be more fun, in my opinion. But then again, what do I know? lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I personally never saw the Camaro and Firebird as rivals, I always saw them as joining forces to do battle with the Mustang together - but there are clearly some that preferred the Firebird (T/A) over the Camaro and wouldn't be caught dead driving one (and vice versa), but if those die-hard Firebird fans still want a new F body, looks like they'll have no choice but to settle for a new Camaro.

I still think a new 5th gen Firebird could be successfully done (the pics posted clearly demostrate this) - and I still think there's a market large enough to sustain it. I truly think GM is missing the boat by not including a Firebird with the new 5th gen, but I'm sure the dreaded GM bean counters have already decided not only no but HELL no to the idea, and they always seem to get the last word no matter what any of us lowly peons think. :rolleyes:

I'd love to get the Fbodfather's take on this if he ever cares to chime in on it sometime.

·
Registered
2 Posts
if the firebird comes back... you think the gto will also? its last gen was sweet!

·
Dark Side Moderator
2,665 Posts

1 - 16 of 16 Posts