Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know you're tired of hearing these type questions but my LT2 is only 3 1/2 weeks old. Charge it to me being a novice. I want a better sound from from ride. Went to a muffler shop here in town and they said if they remove the resonators I'd get a good sound. Should I do that or get a new exhaust system. I'm not looking for a boost in power just want it to sound nicer.

·
Premium Member
4,378 Posts
Leon
You can got to the "new Post section on the home page and find Granatelli axle back package, very cheap for highest quality stuff.. Even has a sound clip that I really like. I will be doing this soon.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I am a fan of the SOLO performance, Mach X cat back exhaust system. It is a company out of NY. Google them. It has an x pipe and high flow res for the back with 4.5 polished tips. They also come with J-pipes that can be adjusted for a diffrent sound if you dont like the sound. Mine was 800 with free shipping but I got a military discount w/out the discount I beleive they are 880. I have had no issues at all they have been on since Jan 11... V6 Std & Auto Mach X-LLT

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am a fan of the SOLO performance, Mach X cat back exhaust system. It is a company out of NY. Google them. It has an x pipe and high flow res for the back with 4.5 polished tips. They also come with J-pipes that can be adjusted for a diffrent sound if you dont like the sound. Mine was 800 with free shipping but I got a military discount w/out the discount I beleive they are 880. I have had no issues at all they have been on since Jan 11... V6 Std & Auto Mach X-LLT
I have to second the Solo exhausts. Just had their MACH-XC cat back with j-tubes installed on my convertible Monday. Nice deep sound and absolutely no drone when cruising in 5th or 6th gear.

Here's a little video I made of before and after:

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
Hillary needs to chime in here.

·
See You On Course
3,867 Posts
My resonators are hanging in the garage. If it's an automatic, the deceleration pop might end up being too annoying. I love my sound, though. Everything else stock.

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
Stick with quality. No name crap re-branded by a vendor is too much of a risk.
Try and listen to as many as you can. Your dealer may be able to help. The service department sees a LOT of cars.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Corsa has a great sound and no drone.
And a High price tag too:lol:

Keep in mind if you have an automatic you have a D.O.D (cylinder deactivation) at cruise and that is why GM puts that huge resonator in the middle of the system. If you remove the resonator the car makes a weird noise when it goes into D.O.D. mode. Therefore it is wise to purchase a flash tool to turn that feature off when removing the resonator.

No question about it, there is a lot of great choices out there. I think Granatelli did a great job of designing a system that sounds awesome and still does not break the bank.

There are 2 types of systems of systems that are being talked about and I just want to eliminate confusion. Axle Back and Cat Back. Axle back requires you to simply cut the rear muffler section off the factory pipes (at the axles) and then using a slip fit connection you “slide” the muffler in place. Note the expansion in the pipe where it allows you to slide the pipe over the stock section:

The other option is a Cat-Back system. In this case you remove the entire stock system as a unit. No cutting is required and you now have the option of always going back the “complete” stock system. Below is an example of that. Please note the muffler section (axle back) is the same.

To some this explanation may sound remedial but as I read the thread I could not help but notice 1 person talk about a $300 axle back and another talk about an $800 axle back and I wanted to make the picture a bit clearer. I hope I helped

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
It's the Internet. It MUST be true! :lol:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Ok I know you're tired of hearing these type questions but my LT2 is only 3 1/2 weeks old. Charge it to me being a novice. I want a better sound from from ride. Went to a muffler shop here in town and they said if they remove the resonators I'd get a good sound. Should I do that or get a new exhaust system. I'm not looking for a boost in power just want it to sound nicer.
By the time they cut the resonators out and weld some pipes in, you will probably have paid what the going rate is for an axle-back. And you can do the labor yourself. So there really is no value to having your car chopped up. Besides, you might not like how it sounds after.

I'm seeing a lot of companies dropping the prices of exhaust components. In my opinion, all the so called high quality items are way over-priced. And all the so called "low quality" "cheap crap" (the names I hear people call them) are surprisingly high in quality. I've seen 304 stainless steel cat back systems going for around $400. And some companies offer axle backs for more than that. So it comes down to what you wanna pay, what you want on your car, and what sound you want. Most companies have exhaust clips too.

·
Registered
150 Posts
By the time they cut the resonators out and weld some pipes in, you will probably have paid what the going rate is for an axle-back. And you can do the labor yourself. So there really is no value to having your car chopped up. Besides, you might not like how it sounds after.

I'm seeing a lot of companies dropping the prices of exhaust components. In my opinion, all the so called high quality items are way over-priced. And all the so called "low quality" "cheap crap" (the names I hear people call them) are surprisingly high in quality. I've seen 304 stainless steel cat back systems going for around $400. And some companies offer axle backs for more than that. So it comes down to what you wanna pay, what you want on your car, and what sound you want. Most companies have exhaust clips too.
$400 for a cat back:eek: - not even we can do that:cool: I agree some companies are asking over $1000 for a cat back - If they can get it more power to them. They are clearly making huge margins.

WE have sold perhaps 300 systems over the last 18 months and everyone has been super pleased with our prices and quality

One Last thing...there is a big difference between 304 and 409. SOme of the lessor systems use 409 - 304 is about 50% more in material cost;) and 304 will last forever..409 not so much

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
$400 for a cat back:eek: - not even we can do that:cool: I agree some companies are asking over $1000 for a cat back - If they can get it more power to them. They are clearly making huge margins.

WE have sold perhaps 300 systems over the last 18 months and everyone has been super pleased with our prices and quality

One Last thing...there is a big difference between 304 and 409. SOme of the lessor systems use 409 - 304 is about 50% more in material cost;) and 304 will last forever..409 not so much
Yea I def saw 304 cat-back for around that price. And it was a full 3 inch exhaust also. But still, your prices are a lot more reasonable than some of the other name brand companies. Hopefully you'll be the trendsetter and everyone else will follow suit. I mean, some of them came out the gate selling cat backs for $1200...and people were buying them, hahaha!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Do you have a distributor in the DFW,TX area? Preferably one that does installs also?

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you want good sound and more power go with Cat-back exhaust. Plenty to choose from. I personally like the Kooks Headers exhaust. Mean rumble and good power to boot.
The headers certainly help. I just put the Granatelli Exh on my '13 vert sounds great. The power gain is noticable as well. Even if it makes the same power the Granatelli system must be at minimum 50lbs lighter :lol: the stock system is a boat anchor at best

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
The guys I use charged me 150 for the x-pipe, and 100 for the removal of the res, mufflers and two pipes including welding the tips back on. Plus you loose some much needed weight from the TankMaro. Can't mention the cats though lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts