Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I'm in a dilemma. I want to mod my GTO but I feel I'd be way ahead of the game if I just purchased a F-bod. With or without mods I can have fun flogging the tar out of it. I plan on installing some minor mods on the GTO to boost the experience, but I want a street terror that I can occasionally take to the track.

I'm looking for a LS1 car. What do I need to look for? problem areas? certain years with more problems than others.

Thanks in advance.

·
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple
11,842 Posts
Steer clear of a '98.
The weird 1998 computer causes issues if you ever want it tuned.

Ask about oil consumption, and listen for piston slap.
A little bit it normal, but if it sounds like a dishwasher loaded with tin plates, that's bad lol.

Some squeaks and rattles are normal.
Afterall this chassis design is 25 years old.
Obviously anything excessive would be cause for concern.

I think the car that's exactly what you're looking for is in my garage with a for sale sign on it! :D

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I've found out that many TA owners want $5k-$15k more than a Camaro of the same year with similar equipment.:rolleyes:

Elitists or just crack smokers?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Try to find a car in pure stock form, thats probabaly the best way to go. They would tend to be more daily drivers. People that like to mod their cars are often the people whom like to drive them hard, therefore yeilding accelerated wear. But all the stuff mentioned above is good advice.

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like that color of your car B4CZR2.

See you have been a member for a little while and just started posting today. Since you haven't yet posted in the intro section, welcome.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think if I were to get an LS1 F-body, it would be a 2001 or 2002. You get the LS6 intake, no EGR either.

But seriously you have a great car now, with a great foundation. I say stick with that and move forward.

As a point of reference a friend of mine has an LT1 396 (P&P LT4 Heads, CC Cam, long tubes mufflex etc..) that car when put up against an P1SC Procharged 2002 SS with 3.73 and long tubes, will pull on it every single time. AND the LT1 car also passes emissions.

So don't eliminate the LT1 for possible modding issues. They ARE fast. And you can buy them dirt cheap now.

·
8,984 Posts
Berger, here I come.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Couple of issues to look for are pinion seal. Many of these cars had a leaky pinion seal which many probably won't notice. I found out about mine the first week I bought it fortunately and warranty fixed it. Also there was a recall on the cats in the LS1's, I got my letter about a month ago, but I gutted mine so it don't matter to me. Check to see if the owner recieved the bulletin and had them replaced.

Definately go 01 or later as the EGR's go through oil alot more on the 98-00. Stick with the Camaro they are lighter. It doesn't matter SS or Z28 as long as its an LS1. Also look for dimples in the quarter panels along the welds. Cars that go through alot of hard corners tend to have dimples along the entire weld line (I'll get pics of mine up for an example it's lived a hard life). If it has got a full complement of bolt on's or power adders be weary. If the car has seen many low 12 or high 11 times on DR's or slicks the rear (if its still the original of course) is a ticking time bomb.

Wrecked cars. Try to get a carfax if possible. Cars that have had the airbags go off tend to blow apart the inner and outer door seam. This is sometimes hard to detect and never fully repaired as well as stock. Just open the door and check the ridge on the inside lip of the door they usually pop off at the top and bottom.

Alternator fluctuation. If you test drive it at night you will probably see the headlights dim a little every now and then this is normal. Also check headlights. Cars (like mine) with the aftermarket brighter headlights tend to burn the lenses making them look dull and spiderwebbed. Turn signals are also problematic on these cars. They go out and burn the sockets frequently.

Front rotors warp easily if used hard (went through 3 pair before I got the slotted/drilled), changing plugs is a PITA, and the Y pipe should be replaced before the muffler its a bigger restriction.

Can't really think of much more than whats already posted good luck.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've found out that many TA owners want $5k-$15k more than a Camaro of the same year with similar equipment.:rolleyes:

Elitists or just crack smokers?
Just keep looking. I bought a 98 trans am for 4500 with 75K miles. The body has some chips, and I had to buy new rims and tires but the car is quite a looker:) I was offered 7K for her Friday but I turned em down:)

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good comments guys.

A friend of mine has a 30th ANNIV Camaro. he bought new. It has 18K miles on it and he's asking $12.5K. It's not a LS1 but it's clean.

I'm still hoping to score a deal if I'm patient enough for a 2000-2002 car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts